PDA

View Full Version : Car integration?

grappler
Jun 29, 2007, 02:25 PM
I'm curious to know what car integration options iPhone has.

My ideal car integration would go something like this:

I get in my car. When it starts, my car stereo with bluetooth finds my phone (because I paired them up when I first got them) and puts it into a 'car mode'.

I can use controls on the stereo or steering wheel to navigate the content on the phone. Music, podcasts, etc. A large color screen on the stereo shows the info laid out very similarly to how the iPhone would show it, making it easy to navigate. The 'played before' markers show for podcasts etc.

If a call comes in, I have 'send to voicemail' or 'answer' options I can select on the stereo's controls. If I answer, the stereo acts as a handsfree device, and then resumes the music when the call ends.

Anyone know if something like this exists? Without the right car integration, I just don't see how I could make this device work - right now the phone and iPod are separate so it isn't much of an issue...

(edit - it need not be bluetooth. A dock connector that does all this and also charges the phone might be even better)

iKwick7
Jun 29, 2007, 04:47 PM
That would be nice.

The iPhone HAS TO pair with my car for me to buy it. The phone I have now pairs wonderfully with my car (2005 Prius, fully loaded) and automatically connects when I turn the car on. I make all my calls from either the steering wheel or from the touch screen display. I absolutely love it and will never have another car without these features.

ogee
Jun 29, 2007, 05:32 PM
That would be nice.

The iPhone HAS TO pair with my car for me to buy it. The phone I have now pairs wonderfully with my car (2005 Prius, fully loaded) and automatically connects when I turn the car on. I make all my calls from either the steering wheel or from the touch screen display. I absolutely love it and will never have another car without these features.

Ditto. I also have a Prius and want to know if the iPhone works with it without problems.

bonehead
Jun 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
Ditto. I also have a Prius and want to know if the iPhone works with it without problems.

Hopefully I'll be able to let you know after this weekend. Setting up my existing phone with the Prius was so easy I can't imagine that the iPhone will be that different unless its Bluetooth functionality is buggy.

1chocolate1
Jun 30, 2007, 07:56 PM
I tried pairing my iPhone with my RX400h and wasn't too successful. I called the Lexus dealer and they said come in. It took them about 5 minutes to get it paired. Now the phone works with the steering wheel and speakers. My next concern was reprogramming in all the numbers. I couldn't figure this out, but to my surprise I found that my old programmed numbers all worked!

copland007
Jun 30, 2007, 08:16 PM
HFL worked perfectly fine in my 06 TL, out with the razr, in with the iphone :)

stomachdoc
Jun 30, 2007, 09:02 PM
Bluetooth integration with my '07 BMW 5 series was seamless; full control from steering wheel and iDrive, including voice activated dialing by speaking a number or by contacts. Pulls the entire contact list, rather than just the "favorites" list as my Treo 650 did.

Embassy
Jun 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
I have a 2005 Prius, also fully loaded, with a few under the table extras, including a box to spoof the car audio into thinking the iPod is an MD changer (which as near as I can tell no one outside of Japan actually owns).

I was able to pair the iPhone (mine is called Phiona) with my Prius no problem but the service that would allow me to transfer my contacts to the car's memory was inoperative.

In the perfect world, the Prius would publish its GPS coordinates in a format the iPhone could listen to and upgrade its map software.

Integration through my iPod interface works properly. I can select playlists and tracks within playlists, and incoming calls are received and sent through the ambient speakers. Also, the music pauses when I put in the 30 pin connector. So it's reasonably effective. A nice side benefit is that I no longer need to have a second charger - my 30 pin connector takes care of both charging and music control and transfer needs.

iKwick7
Jun 30, 2007, 11:57 PM
I have a 2005 Prius, also fully loaded, with a few under the table extras, including a box to spoof the car audio into thinking the iPod is an MD changer (which as near as I can tell no one outside of Japan actually owns).

I was able to pair the iPhone (mine is called Phiona) with my Prius no problem but the service that would allow me to transfer my contacts to the car's memory was inoperative.

In the perfect world, the Prius would publish its GPS coordinates in a format the iPhone could listen to and upgrade its map software.

Integration through my iPod interface works properly. I can select playlists and tracks within playlists, and incoming calls are received and sent through the ambient speakers. Also, the music pauses when I put in the 30 pin connector. So it's reasonably effective. A nice side benefit is that I no longer need to have a second charger - my 30 pin connector takes care of both charging and music control and transfer needs.

I've got pretty much the same thing, Embassy. I forget who makes it ( I think VAIS or som,ething like that), but I have a box that lets me control my iPod as if it were an MD changer- everything works as it should (control via the steering wheel and/or by the touch screen, track names display on the screen, etc.).

I picked up an iPhone this morning, and if it ever gets activated (damn you, AT&T!!) I'll let everyone know how the pairing works for me.

woodbutcher
Jul 1, 2007, 10:07 AM
I have an Alpine head unit, that is 3 yrs old. I added an ipod interface "box" which made the head unit thing the ipod is a cd changer. With this unit and a normal ipod you can search, shuffle, use the buttons for track up and down, and the track name and info comes across the head unit lcd display. When I loaded my iphone with music and connected it, you get a message on the iphone screen saying this is not a compatible device. Ignoring the message let the music play just fine with no search capability.

TPALTony
Jul 1, 2007, 11:31 AM
I paired my iPhone with a Lexus RX350 in about 20 seconds from start to finish. Works perfectly except you can't transfer the phonebook. But that's NOT the car kits fault, except of course for the fact that it wants a copy of the phonebook rather than just using Bluetooth to access the phonebook on the phone itself. The reason you can't send contacts to the car kit is that there is no option on the iPhone to send contacts (not even a single contact let alone all of them) via Bluetooth. Turns out this isn't something I care about anyway, as the nanny state rules Lexus and it won't let me browse the contacts list if the car is moving in any case, so I have no choice but to use the contacts list on the phone (looking down at the phone instead of glancing at the screen in the car. Way to go Lexus.)

I also have the VAIS box to make it look like an MD changer and that works perfectly, although iPhone warns me that this is not a "Works with iPhone" accessory and offers to go into Airplane mode to reduce audio interference. Ignore that prompt and it goes away in about 10 seconds on it's own. iPod capabilities work fine using the steering wheel controls etc. When you are in iPod mode on the phone it says "Accessory connected" which is what my regular iPod does. But you can still go into the phone and the rest of the features on the phone just fine.

So, it would seem they have thought about it!

Oh, and it paired with my nuvi just fine, and it sees the phone book on the phone (since it doesn't try to take a copy of it.)

be well

t

ipoddin
Jul 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
I paired my iPhone with a Lexus RX350 in about 20 seconds from start to finish. Works perfectly except you can't transfer the phonebook. But that's NOT the car kits fault, except of course for the fact that it wants a copy of the phonebook rather than just using Bluetooth to access the phonebook on the phone itself. The reason you can't send contacts to the car kit is that there is no option on the iPhone to send contacts (not even a single contact let alone all of them) via Bluetooth. Turns out this isn't something I care about anyway, as the nanny state rules Lexus and it won't let me browse the contacts list if the car is moving in any case, so I have no choice but to use the contacts list on the phone (looking down at the phone instead of glancing at the screen in the car. Way to go Lexus.)

I also have the VAIS box to make it look like an MD changer and that works perfectly, although iPhone warns me that this is not a "Works with iPhone" accessory and offers to go into Airplane mode to reduce audio interference. Ignore that prompt and it goes away in about 10 seconds on it's own. iPod capabilities work fine using the steering wheel controls etc. When you are in iPod mode on the phone it says "Accessory connected" which is what my regular iPod does. But you can still go into the phone and the rest of the features on the phone just fine.

So, it would seem they have thought about it!

Oh, and it paired with my nuvi just fine, and it sees the phone book on the phone (since it doesn't try to take a copy of it.)

be well

t

Same problem I'm having. I paired the phone with my '07 Infiniti G35 sedan in about 20 seconds. But the car wants me to send my address book to the phone via bluetooth and there's no option in the phone to do that. The phone manual says the phone may automatically add the address book but provides no other details. I guess only to BMW's? I can manually add contacts to the cars address book so I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. Why there's no option to send contact via bluetooth is beyond me.

mercurious
Jul 1, 2007, 04:28 PM
In my Audi A3 with navigation and Bluetooth, the iPhone pairs easily, and offers the integrated controls. However, the connection doesn't stay on, turning off, and not always remaining connected, or auto-reconnecting. The iPhone might need to more aggressively ping the headset to keep the connection on?

Anyone else having problems with the iPhone Car Bluetooth staying on?

mercurious
Jul 1, 2007, 04:31 PM
In my Audi A3 with navigation, bluetooth and Sirius satellite, an official dealer-installed iPod connector kit only manages to charge the iPhone. The audio playback comes out the iPhone speakers, rather than through the connector cord.

You do get the airplane mode warning, upon connection, and neither mode solves the playback problem. This system works fine with the nano, so there's a difference between these iPod interfaces.

Anyone else experiencing similar results?

Nilonym
Jul 1, 2007, 10:36 PM
In my Audi A3 with navigation and Bluetooth, the iPhone pairs easily, and offers the integrated controls. However, the connection doesn't stay on, turning off, and not always remaining connected, or auto-reconnecting. The iPhone might need to more aggressively ping the headset to keep the connection on?

Anyone else having problems with the iPhone Car Bluetooth staying on?

Same problem with my A3, and it also happens in my wife's A4 with Nav. I've read reports of this with Audis in a few Audi/VW forms as well. There appears to be a compatibility issue with the Audi bluetooth implementation. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.

Any Audi owners here NOT having this problem?

bonehead
Jul 2, 2007, 01:36 AM

It works with my '07 Prius. Easy to set up.

ejl10
Jul 2, 2007, 06:22 AM
I have an Alpine head unit, that is 3 yrs old. I added an ipod interface "box" which made the head unit thing the ipod is a cd changer. With this unit and a normal ipod you can search, shuffle, use the buttons for track up and down, and the track name and info comes across the head unit lcd display. When I loaded my iphone with music and connected it, you get a message on the iphone screen saying this is not a compatible device. Ignoring the message let the music play just fine with no search capability.

Has anyone tried this with a newer Alpine head unit using the iPod interface cable? I have a 2006 CDA-9857 that works beautifully with my Nano, and I'd like to know how it would work with an iPhone. The plan is to sell my iPods to help cover the cost, but without car integration it just doesn't work for me!

kmadsen
Jul 2, 2007, 06:37 AM
Paired my iPhone with my Volvo's Bluetooth Handsfree devive in about a minute. However, despite being able to make and receive calls wirelessly, I cannot hear my voicemail through the Bluetooth system.

stomachdoc
Jul 3, 2007, 06:27 AM
Back to my '07 BMW 5 series. Yes, the entire address book does transfer to the iDrive system. This is good--and bad. With my Treo, only my "speed dial" numbers transferred, but with the iPhone, my entire list of contacts (not just my favorites) transfers, which is about 500 names. I would prefer if just the favorites transferred, which would be less to scroll through and less for the voice recognition system to decipher.

I am having an audio issue, however. During the first 15 seconds of the first call or two that I make each time I get into the vehicle, the audio drops in and out and then it finally stabilizes. I didn't have this problem with my Treo in the BMW. It's only for the first few seconds, but it is annoying! I'm gonna try the iPhone with my wife's Jabra to see if it's a BMW issue or an iPhone issue. Hopefully some of the audio issues addressed here and in the Audi's will be addressed with a software update.

herrade
Jul 3, 2007, 07:12 AM

Try the Parrot:

http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/ck3100-lcd

My partner has this in his Cayenne, originally to support his Treo. Switching in the iPhone was seamless, and actually resulted in better functionality.

MarkW19
Jul 3, 2007, 04:32 PM
Quick question for the guys that have got their iPhones working with bluetooth handsfree kits in their cars:-

Once you've done the initial pairing of the devices, every time you get in your car (with your iPhone in your pocket) after that, will the iPhone connect to your car AUTOMATICALLY when you start it up? Meaning you don't have to do anything when you get in your car?

Then pressing the car's answer/end button will also control iPhone if you get a call (and route the audio through your car speakers, etc.)?

stomachdoc
Jul 4, 2007, 08:03 AM
Quick question for the guys that have got their iPhones working with bluetooth handsfree kits in their cars:-

Once you've done the initial pairing of the devices, every time you get in your car (with your iPhone in your pocket) after that, will the iPhone connect to your car AUTOMATICALLY when you start it up? Meaning you don't have to do anything when you get in your car?

Then pressing the car's answer/end button will also control iPhone if you get a call (and route the audio through your car speakers, etc.)?

Yes, and yes.

ecks618
Jul 4, 2007, 11:19 AM
HFL worked perfectly fine in my 06 TL, out with the razr, in with the iphone :)

Same here with my '07 RDX. And for some reason actually creates less interference than my blackberry pearl. Weird by I like it.

Now if you could play music through HFL that would be pretty cool because the AUX cable I have doesn't fit into the iphone jack.

fithian
Jul 4, 2007, 09:22 PM
Back to my '07 BMW 5 series. Yes, the entire address book does transfer to the iDrive system. This is good--and bad. With my Treo, only my "speed dial" numbers transferred, but with the iPhone, my entire list of contacts (not just my favorites) transfers, which is about 500 names. I would prefer if just the favorites transferred, which would be less to scroll through and less for the voice recognition system to decipher.

I am having an audio issue, however. During the first 15 seconds of the first call or two that I make each time I get into the vehicle, the audio drops in and out and then it finally stabilizes. I didn't have this problem with my Treo in the BMW. It's only for the first few seconds, but it is annoying! I'm gonna try the iPhone with my wife's Jabra to see if it's a BMW issue or an iPhone issue. Hopefully some of the audio issues addressed here and in the Audi's will be addressed with a software update.

You need to turn off the Wi-Fi option on the iPhone to use it without the instability mentioned.

ITASOR
Jul 4, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'm curious to know what car integration options iPhone has.

I get in my car. When it starts, my car stereo with bluetooth finds my phone (because I paired them up when I first got them) and puts it into a 'car mode'.

I can use controls on the stereo or steering wheel to navigate the content on the phone. Music, podcasts, etc. A large color screen on the stereo shows the info laid out very similarly to how the iPhone would show it, making it easy to navigate. The 'played before' markers show for podcasts etc.

If a call comes in, I have 'send to voicemail' or 'answer' options I can select on the stereo's controls. If I answer, the stereo acts as a handsfree device, and then resumes the music when the call ends.

Anyone know if something like this exists? Without the right car integration, I just don't see how I could make this device work - right now the phone and iPod are separate so it isn't much of an issue...

(edit - it need not be bluetooth. A dock connector that does all this and also charges the phone might be even better)

If you want that much functionality out of your car stereo, and have it display very similarly to the way the iPhone shows it, wouldn't it make more sense to just get a dash mount and mount the actual iPhone there and use it?

stomachdoc
Jul 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
You need to turn off the Wi-Fi option on the iPhone to use it without the instability mentioned.

Great, I'll give that a try!

jmdor
Jul 5, 2007, 09:46 AM
Whoa -- I just found out that my 30-pin adapter on my '04 Prius, while it does feed audio out, etc., doesn't charge my iPhone. It looks like it actually drains the battery! I think I've heard this before on ilounge -- anyone else seeing this?

mmcatee
Jul 5, 2007, 09:51 AM
OK while my Corolla does not not have built in integration, I was pleased to see that my my Iphone connects to my Eclipse car stereo and then the Iphone connects to my Garmin GPS bluetooth and works great.
Call comes in music gets muted I pick up the call through the GPS and then when done the music comes back on.
Iphone charges while connected. I am a happy camper

MarkW19
Jul 7, 2007, 04:18 PM
So, you get in your car and your iPhone connects automatically with your car's handsfree because you've paired them before.

Does this mean that when you pick up your iPhone and make a call on it (using just the iPhone), that the call will automatically be routed through your car's handsfree? If not, what do you have to do to do this?

If you get a call while in your car, you just press your "answer" button in your car...but what about when you dial out using the iPhone (assuming no phonebook in your car's display, or any other way to dial out except using the iPhone itself)?

copland007
Jul 7, 2007, 05:31 PM
All good questions :) I was actually very impressed with how the iphone handles the blue-tooth HFL in the car. With my razr if I initiated a call on the razr i had to command my car to 'transfer' the call to the HFL (the person on the other end of the line heard me say 'transfer' kinda loud).

The iphone has a source menu it brings up and you can choose iphone, speaker, or HFL and with the tap of your finger it makes the switch.

You can play with that source menu regardless of how you initiated the call, either originally from the iphone or through the HFL.

MarkW19
Jul 7, 2007, 05:45 PM
All good questions :) I was actually very impressed with how the iphone handles the blue-tooth HFL in the car. With my razr if I initiated a call on the razr i had to command my car to 'transfer' the call to the HFL (the person on the other end of the line heard me say 'transfer' kinda loud).

The iphone has a source menu it brings up and you can choose iphone, speaker, or HFL and with the tap of your finger it makes the switch.

You can play with that source menu regardless of how you initiated the call, either originally from the iphone or through the HFL.

Cool, thanks. That's the button that takes the place of the "Speaker" button when you're connected to a bluetooth device, right?

As soon as you press dial, while the phone rings out (waiting for the other person to answer), is this button available THEN? Or does it only become available AFTER the call has been answered?

It'd be good to transfer to the HFL straight away before the person picks up.

copland007
Jul 7, 2007, 10:27 PM
looks like the behavior is it brings up the source menu as soon as you start a call from the iPhone, but it didn't let me really switch the source until there was an active call (other party picks up).

This might just be acura's HFL implementation because I remember with the razr if I tried to transfer while ringing it gave me an audio error "no active call".

And yes if you hit the 'hide source menu' it docks to where the speaker button is.

JRGsiPhone
Jul 9, 2007, 10:39 AM
Bluetooth integration with my '07 BMW 5 series was seamless; full control from steering wheel and iDrive, including voice activated dialing by speaking a number or by contacts. Pulls the entire contact list, rather than just the "favorites" list as my Treo 650 did.

I paired with my '08 5 series. It was working fine at 1st, but now the connection is unstable - disconnecting and reconnecting constantly. Was not a problem with my Blackberry. Tried deleting the device and pairing again, but issue persists.

stomachdoc
Jul 10, 2007, 04:27 AM

Yep, works great with WiFi off. Thank you so much for the tip!

Hopefully they will correct this issue with a software update!

llarson
Jul 10, 2007, 03:40 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 GPS and it synced with my iPHONE and uploaded all 230 of my contacts.

With its wireless FM transmitter I can play all my calls through the car speakers and accept, place and see incoming calls.

I have a '06 Murano with an iPOD integration module and all I do is put the iPHONE in the holder attach the cable and play my music through the stereo.

IPONE even mutes the music when a call comes in.

The 360 has a built in mic that works will I am told by people I have spoken to.

gervase87
Jul 11, 2007, 04:53 AM
Yep, works great with WiFi off. Thank you so much for the tip!

Hopefully they will correct this issue with a software update!

Thanks - I have a 2007 BMW 6 series - I had the same problem with the cutting out - so I'll try turning off WiFi.

Question: I also have the optional ipod dock in my armrest (my ipod worked fine) but my iphone won't play music - at first it still played music on the iphone when attached (nothing out of the car speakers) - then I got a stereo adaper by Belkin becuse of the earphone jack being recessed - now it must be registering, as there is no music coming out of Iphone, but it is just blank air, i.e nothing coming out of either the iphone or the speakers? any suggestions?
Thanks

stomachdoc
Jul 12, 2007, 09:08 PM
I paired with my '08 5 series. It was working fine at 1st, but now the connection is unstable - disconnecting and reconnecting constantly. Was not a problem with my Blackberry. Tried deleting the device and pairing again, but issue persists.

Turning off the WiFi makes the BMW bluetooth connection work with no instability. Why this would be I'm not sure as they are different frequencies, I'm hopeful they will fix this with a software update. Wasn't a problem with my Treo, but the Treo didn't have WiFi. Interestingly, the Bluetooth works fine with WiFi on with a regular Jabra headset, so maybe it's a BMW problem with WiFi interference.

1chocolate1
Jul 12, 2007, 10:06 PM
Now that the iPhone works well in the Lexus, (speakers, ringing, caller name appearing on the navig. window) how do we program numbers in? Forget calling Lexus.

grappler
Jul 23, 2007, 11:39 AM
If you want that much functionality out of your car stereo, and have it display very similarly to the way the iPhone shows it, wouldn't it make more sense to just get a dash mount and mount the actual iPhone there and use it?

I thought of that actually... the iPhone then effectively becomes the faceplate of your car stereo, and you would naturally remove it when leaving the car. I kinda like that idea!

I also like the idea someone mentioned above of a car's GPS receiver feeding the iPhone its current position. Then the iPhone used in the dash this way could make a great moving map...

Maui
Jul 23, 2007, 12:23 PM
t

In my wife's 400h, I used an old Treo 650 I had on the shelf to transfer the phone book to the car. Her iPhone doesn't know the difference. Works great.

NYCAVS
Jul 26, 2007, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know if the iPhone will work with past or latest (2008) mercedes handsfree systems... in particular the phone and ipod features?

Thanks!!

carman63
Jul 27, 2007, 05:35 AM
Same problem with my A3, and it also happens in my wife's A4 with Nav. I've read reports of this with Audis in a few Audi/VW forms as well. There appears to be a compatibility issue with the Audi bluetooth implementation. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.

Any Audi owners here NOT having this problem?

I had that problem in my A6. Do you have a car charger connected to the iPhone? I found that, if I plug in my iPhone to a charger, I never lose the connection. So I suspect it's some implementation of how Audi deals with BT devices that switch into a low-power mode. I've had this problem with other phones as well, so I can't blame the iPhone.

If you have a charger handy, try it!

EDIT: If you're using a built-in iPod charger/connector, my solution may not work. I use an FM transmitter and/or a standard car charger. No iPod integration available for my Audi just yet. But I do think it's because the iPhone goes into a reduced-power mode (when on battery only) that the Audi BT implementation doesn't recognize, and drops the connection.

carman63
Jul 27, 2007, 05:40 AM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 GPS and it synced with my iPHONE and uploaded all 230 of my contacts.
<snip>
The 360 has a built in mic that works will I am told by people I have spoken to.
My StreetPilot c550 works the same way. And the speakerphone does an excellent job.

Malakas07
Jul 27, 2007, 08:01 AM
I've been seeing rumors that Dice Electronics are creating an all in one for the iPhone.

Intergrate iPod, Charge and Hands Free.

Hopefully this will be soon. This is what I'm looking for.

I don't want to buy a parrot and ipod intergrations.

voicegy
Jul 29, 2007, 09:33 PM
Just in case anyone wants to know, my 2006 Volvo S80 integrates with the iPhone via Bluetooth (for phone calls, voice activation, contact lists *you have to create contacts within the Volvo Bluetooth device*) and uses a car microphone and the car speakers.

As for the iPod portion of the iPhone, full integration with normal iPod hard-wired kit option. Can manipulate the iPhone's iPod portion with stereo system via the buttons on the steering wheel.

Completely and utterly sweet.

Cybergypsy
Jul 29, 2007, 10:09 PM
08 Lancer GTS. hooks up flawless....

cipher0
Jul 31, 2007, 04:51 PM
Anyone familiar or have thoughts on the Parrot RHYTHM N (http://store.everythingiphone.com/content/accessories/3-87--508.htm)??

I am looking for in all in one Iphone input into car stereo and bluetooth pairing with microphone located somewhere in the car.

I would like to mount the Iphone using proclip or some other solution and really just use the Iphone as the display. I also need the mount to act as a dock so once I set the phone in it, charging and input into the stereo occurs. Is there a better alternative or is this the best right now?

I have a Hyundai with stock stereo and no aux input so I think I have to get a new head unit... ?

ollie3856
Aug 1, 2007, 01:20 AM
I have the Audi A3 and have the same issues with bluetooth dropping...i guess somewhat reassuring that it's not just me experiencing it, can anyone else confirm a more steady connection while plugged into a charger?

sleepkreep
Aug 5, 2007, 12:23 PM

no. When you're driving you don't want to have to concentrate on the screen. You need big text and big buttons so you don't have to focus on what you're doing. A bigger screen would simply be necessary.

CADer
Aug 16, 2007, 03:02 PM
So does anyone know if the Iphone works with this Pioneer Ipod interface (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ByKHL7DPQDh/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130IB100II)device? I am sure that sound would transfer but would the controls on the stereo change songs, and like it says will the song titles show on the Car CD Player? If anyone knows please help me out!

I guess I should have got the bluetooth in my '08 Viper! Yeah I don't have a Viper I just wish I did.

cmschmidt
Aug 16, 2007, 04:15 PM
So does anyone know if the Iphone works with this Pioneer Ipod interface (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ByKHL7DPQDh/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130IB100II)device? I am sure that sound would transfer but would the controls on the stereo change songs, and like it says will the song titles show on the Car CD Player? If anyone knows please help me out!

I guess I should have got the bluetooth in my '08 Viper! Yeah I don't have a Viper I just wish I did.

i have the pioneer ipod interface and it does work. however, you can only control the ipod through the cars headunit if you put the phone into airplane mode. if you bypass airplane mode so you can still receive calls you can still listen through the cars speakers but must control your music through the iphones interface.

CADer
Aug 16, 2007, 06:49 PM
i have the pioneer ipod interface and it does work. however, you can only control the ipod through the cars headunit if you put the phone into airplane mode. if you bypass airplane mode so you can still receive calls you can still listen through the cars speakers but must control your music through the iphones interface.

Thanks for the quick reply!!! Very helpful!!! One (or Two) more questions: Do you have a remote control for the stereo and if so does it work to control the Iphone? I have the DEH-4800MB what Stereo do you have (don't know if the model will make a difference)? And do you get the song information, track, album, etc. displayed on the stereo Head unit? And last question: Does your Iphone have the Update?

Thanks you helping me out!

clatrell
Aug 30, 2007, 08:55 AM
I bought the Parrot handsfree MiniKit, as it's small, attractive and has its own voice recogntion system. Unfortunately, it turns out to be only partially compatible with the iPhone. You can use the voice recognition to make outgoing calls, but there doesn't seem to be a way to answer a call. I was disappointed in this, as I'd read that Parrot's products were in fact compatible with the iPhone. Their tech support has informed me that the software will--eventually--be updated, but I do hope they do it soon. I should also say that the Parrot software must be updated via Windows, although it works on Parallels. This was a pain.

surfori
Aug 4, 2009, 10:00 PM
there are FM transmitters, they can be found at http://www.sortprice.com/search-CQ-Cellular_Phones-Apple_iPhone

pennreporter
Nov 20, 2009, 10:00 PM
I recently purchased a garmin 1390T which has bluetooth. I had purchased one for my daughter also last month. Hers works perfectly, but she has never upgraded to latest software on iphone. I have. My bad. So my question. This evidently is a real issue. Garmin now says, if you call them, that no 3G or 3GS are compatible, only first generation, which I'm sure has to do with also that they now have produced the nuvi phone. But clearly garmins work with 3.0 software. If I were to purchase another iphone from AT&T, new or refur, is there a way to tell from serial/product numbers on iphone box what version software it has. My understanding is that it's the baseboard that got upgraded (to prevent jailbreaking) that is the problem. I know you can tell from the serial number supposedly what year and month it was manufactured. Would that guarantee if I found one close to my original manufacture date that it would be the older software????

Otherwise I paid more than I needed to for the garmin if I can't use the bluetooth. It pairs up fine, but the person I'm calling can barely hear me and the garmin reboots frequently which according to garmin is because it's with a phone that incompatible.

thanks for any help
trisha