PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases MobileMe Gallery App

anjinha
Jan 14, 2010, 11:08 AM
Now in the App Store [link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobileme-gallery/id350223710?mt=8)]

rdowns
Jan 14, 2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks, I've been waiting for something like this. :)

MacRumors
Jan 14, 2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/01/14/apple-releases-mobileme-gallery-app/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/01/14/125222-gallery-app-1.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/01/14/125222-gallery-app-2.jpg

Apple released a new app today that allows MobileMe subscribers to view their uploaded photo galleries. The app also allows MobileMe users to share links to their galleries with others via email and view the galleries of other MobileMe members.

Features

— View your entire gallery including password protected and hidden albums
— Flick through photos and pinch to zoom in for more detail
— Rotate iPhone to see photos in landscape
— View your friends’ gallery photos and movies
— Access previously viewed photos when offline
— Easily share a link to an album from iPhone

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/01/14/125222-gallery-app-3.jpg

The app is free [App Store link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobileme-gallery/id350223710?mt=8")] and requires an active MobileMe subscription to use.

Article Link: Apple Releases MobileMe Gallery App (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/01/14/apple-releases-mobileme-gallery-app/)

queshy
Jan 14, 2010, 12:00 PM
Nice app. Were the web galleries not viewable from Safari before?

tjcampbell
Jan 14, 2010, 12:04 PM
Great this will be ace for posting tour photos.

zombitronic
Jan 14, 2010, 12:05 PM
I don't use MobileMe, but I like the look of this app. I'd really like a similar mobile iPhoto app.

crees!
Jan 14, 2010, 12:07 PM
I'm copy/pasting my mile long password from 1Password and the app keeps saying "The member name or password you entered is incorrect" Anyone else getting this?

vincebio
Jan 14, 2010, 12:12 PM
holymoly...about time...

but who in the hell designed the icon?

its frickin aweful!!!!

rdowns
Jan 14, 2010, 12:39 PM
holymoly...about time...

but who in the hell designed the icon?

its frickin aweful!!!!

Very un-Apple like.

MacVixen
Jan 14, 2010, 12:40 PM
Nice app. Were the web galleries not viewable from Safari before?

The galleries were viewable in Safari on the iPhone, but that's it. you couldn't send a link to anyone from there or anything else.
I'll be checking this app out. it may be easier to send out invites to view my galleries via this app then within the actual MobileMe site :eek::)

edited to add: yeah the icon is terrible. i don't usually pay attention to stuff like that, but this looks really bad. Certainly no visual reminder that this is my MobileMe Gallery :confused:

speakerwizard
Jan 14, 2010, 12:44 PM
I don't use MobileMe, but I like the look of this app. I'd really like a similar mobile iPhoto app.

er, Photos, is an app already on the iphone that syncs to iphoto.

Compile 'em all
Jan 14, 2010, 12:45 PM
Black UI = New iPhone will have OLED.

CyberBob859
Jan 14, 2010, 12:58 PM
I'm copy/pasting my mile long password from 1Password and the app keeps saying "The member name or password you entered is incorrect" Anyone else getting this?

Same here. Although, I'm not cutting or pasting, and just trying to enter my information, and I get the same error message as you do. Something is wrong.

malnar
Jan 14, 2010, 01:15 PM
Why a separate app for this? Why wasn't this functionality built into the MobileMe app, since anyone using it would need access to MobileMe too? This just seems redundant. It was needed, obviously, but to need two apps to properly take advantage of MobileMe is pretty annoying.

MacVixen
Jan 14, 2010, 01:18 PM
Same here. Although, I'm not cutting or pasting, and just trying to enter my information, and I get the same error message as you do. Something is wrong.

I'm not using one password or anything like that. Entered my account name and password in and it's working fine for me.

I like the black UI :) and i like the scrolling of all of your pics at the top of the app. I think I will put this app to good use :)

jaw04005
Jan 14, 2010, 01:18 PM
Why don’t they just build this into the photos app? Or at least just offer a MobileMe app (which includes the iDisk and Gallery app)?

I begrudgingly renew MobileMe every year for Mac-to-Mac contact/calendar/bookmark syncing and my .Mac e-mail address, which I’ve had since the first day iTools was announced. :(

MacVixen
Jan 14, 2010, 01:19 PM
Why a separate app for this? Why wasn't this functionality built into the MobileMe app, since anyone using it would need access to MobileMe too? This just seems redundant. It was needed, obviously, but to need two apps to properly take advantage of MobileMe is pretty annoying.

I have to agree with that. Seems like just 1 MobileMe app would suffice OR... just let us access the actual site from our iPhones via MobileSafari.

zombitronic
Jan 14, 2010, 01:21 PM
er, Photos, is an app already on the iphone that syncs to iphoto.

Photos does not give you events, smart folders, places, faces, etc...

jaw04005
Jan 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
I have to agree with that. Seems like just 1 MobileMe app would suffice OR... just let us access the actual site from our iPhones via MobileSafari.

Exactly. What was that new javascript architecture Gruber was talking about that makes a Web site look and work just like an actual app? PastryKit?

They should just do a PastryKit version of Me.com.

While they’re at it, I would like to access my MobileMe-linked AirDisk that’s connected to my AirPort Base Station via www.me.com.

wackymacky
Jan 14, 2010, 01:29 PM

I agree too.

Surley it could be written in to the iphone OS for those (poor fools like me,) who use MobileMe to have the native features on the phone directly fuction with MM.

... And the icon. What the??? On MobileMe site they use the Photos App (sunflower) icon, but we know have a silly ship?

rdowns
Jan 14, 2010, 01:42 PM
I begrudgingly renew MobileMe every year for Mac-to-Mac contact/calendar/bookmark syncing and my .Mac e-mail address, which I’ve had since the first day iTools was announced. :(

As do I. I think Apple has big plans for MM which will include the mythical tablet, or what I call the iPod slate.

NAG
Jan 14, 2010, 01:53 PM
Nice app and it is much better than the web interface (you can even configure mobile safari to automatically open the app). Still, I also wonder why they just didn't update the default photo app to have this functionality. It seems a tad redundant (kind of like a separate app for gmail). However, I'm happy that Apple doesn't seem to be completely ignoring MobileMe (dotmac stagnated fairly quickly after the free to pay service transition even though they promised regular service updates).

rorschach
Jan 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
It's a great start but I hope they add more functionality to it. For example, why I can't I take a picture from within the app and upload it right there? (I realize you can do it in the Camera app, and then upload it there but still.) Also, hopefully they add the ability to create/edit albums too.

There's also a bug (hopefully not a feature) where viewing portrait videos taken on an iPhone can only be viewed in landscape (you can't rotate them).

jaw04005
Jan 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
As do I. I think Apple has big plans for MM which will include the mythical tablet, or what I call the iPod slate.

Haha. Yeah, Sure. :D

Haven’t we been hoping for that since .Mac was launched? We’re suckers, rdowns, plain and simple. :)

big samm
Jan 14, 2010, 03:05 PM
It should be bundled with idisk or in photo app in the iphone... But seriously can someone can explain what's the difference between idisk and mobile me gallery? And what's better?

psxp
Jan 14, 2010, 03:07 PM

OH!! Good catch!!!

javaGuru
Jan 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
Looks nice but I'm unable to login. Anyone else having this problem?

doctoree
Jan 14, 2010, 04:39 PM
OH!! Good catch!!!

Good catch indeed! The OLEDs will dimm the darker parts, increase the contrast, save power and make it look AWSOME

ogee
Jan 14, 2010, 05:13 PM

Yes exactly the same problem.

NeuralControl
Jan 14, 2010, 06:54 PM
But seriously can someone can explain what's the difference between idisk and mobile me gallery? And what's better?

iDisk is the online storage MobileMe customers receive. The MobileMe gallery is a web gallery for pictures and videos.

SFStateStudent
Jan 14, 2010, 07:13 PM
Everything is fine with login and password was fine, but setting up a gallery seems to be way too much work. Tutorial available? :eek:

NeuralControl
Jan 14, 2010, 07:17 PM
Do you have galleries set up from your computer? You can do it via iPhoto.

martint84
Jan 14, 2010, 07:29 PM
Login and everything is working fine for me (copied from 1password). I don't think I've seen this mentioned here yet:

There's a button to add a friend. I think this app is more for sharing pictures with friends than it is to just have access to your own online gallery. Now if only some of my other friends would pony up and get MobileMe. Maybe the tablet will help with that.

martint84
Jan 14, 2010, 07:29 PM
I misread someone's post.. is there a way to delete this post?

mmzplanet
Jan 14, 2010, 08:47 PM

Not too spoil the party, the UI just matches the the full Web UI already in use. Nothing to really read into.

jmlg
Jan 14, 2010, 08:49 PM
So, maybe I am way off, but dont the blue dots next to someones name correspond to that person being on iChat (on a Mac?) Is this a subtle hint that we will finally get iChat in iPhone 4.0 software?

philMBP
Jan 14, 2010, 10:17 PM

There is no such thing as a MobileMe app.

Small White Car
Jan 14, 2010, 10:45 PM
Not too spoil the party, the UI just matches the the full Web UI already in use. Nothing to really read into.

Wait...there's a black website?

OMG the internet is going to be OLED next!

Prints
Jan 14, 2010, 11:26 PM
I'm putting in my name and password and I get the same error message. Something is broken... so frustrating !!
any ideas of how to solve this problem ??

Prints
Jan 14, 2010, 11:39 PM

me too. I've done it over and over. restarted, tried everything. still get the error message.

batchtaster
Jan 15, 2010, 12:26 AM
An all-in-one MobileMe app doesn't make any kind of sense. MobileMe integration is built into other apps: MobileMe mail is in Mail, MobileMe contacts are in Contacts, and so on. iDisk has its own separate app because there's no file-system browser in iPhone; if there was, iDisk functionality would belong in it. What makes the most sense is to add deeper MobileMe integration to Photos, to merge the MobileMe Gallery app functionality into it. However, in the interim, this is a nice app. It works well, the price is right, and it closes what had been something of a gap. So, I have no complaints.

aucl
Jan 15, 2010, 01:00 AM

there is no mobile me app. there is only an iDisk.app.

the really annoying thing in my eyes is that the login/password from the system are not taken. on OSx putting it once in the system preferences and the deal is done, but on iphone it has to be done once for mail/calendar/address book, then again for iDisk, and again for gallery now :(
it feels like it is changing pictures a bit faster than with the Photos.app when swiping a bit over photo borders.

besides this little additional typing i like the app so far. looks smooth.

the only 3 reasons i can why they made it separate apps are:

preinstalled apps are on another (readonly) partition, and can only be installed using firmware updates.
they do not wanna have to add support for flickr, picasa, etc. like for mail or calendar
it is not for the wide audience of iPhone/iTouch users. They might have learned that it annoys people more when they need a paid service to do something, than when it is not possible. :cool:

in 3 weeks we will see a picasa.app maybe?

aucl
Jan 15, 2010, 01:01 AM

it was possible to browse it in mobile safari, and i guess it still is (:confused:)

aucl
Jan 15, 2010, 01:06 AM
Exactly. What was that new javascript architecture Gruber was talking about that makes a Web site look and work just like an actual app? PastryKit?

They should just do a PastryKit version of Me.com.

While they’re at it, I would like to access my MobileMe-linked AirDisk that’s connected to my AirPort Base Station via www.me.com.

check it: http://gallery.me.com/aucl iphone optimized when watching it in mobile safari, it is possible to save it as link to the home screen. just the url bar hiding and so was not done for some strange reason.

aucl
Jan 15, 2010, 01:14 AM
So, maybe I am way off, but dont the blue dots next to someones name correspond to that person being on iChat (on a Mac?) Is this a subtle hint that we will finally get iChat in iPhone 4.0 software?

nice, yes it would be nice;
... but on the other hand, blue markers are used when there are new photos that appeared since the last visit. (green/red) dors are for iChat.

str1f3
Jan 15, 2010, 02:08 AM
An all-in-one MobileMe app doesn't make any kind of sense. MobileMe integration is built into other apps: MobileMe mail is in Mail, MobileMe contacts are in Contacts, and so on. iDisk has its own separate app because there's no file-system browser in iPhone; if there was, iDisk functionality would belong in it. What makes the most sense is to add deeper MobileMe integration to Photos, to merge the MobileMe Gallery app functionality into it. However, in the interim, this is a nice app. It works well, the price is right, and it closes what had been something of a gap. So, I have no complaints.

I wanted to disagree with you but you're right. In every single word. My only problem is that it doesn't feel speedy swiping between photos.

aucl
Jan 15, 2010, 02:12 AM
Since I am sure the right guys at Apple will read it, I will post it here:
Thank You all very much for bringing that to us!

t0mat0
Jan 15, 2010, 05:06 AM
Does anyone have issues with resolution? Is it dynamic (scaled/reduced size picture when over GPRS/Edge/3G vs full size on wifi)?

It seems Apple has had a subtle shift in how it does things recently - it's been putting out minor additions, testing waters, adding things without being part of big updates (see the iTunes Web update, the Apple website design changes to be tablet friendly...).

MobileMe could *easily* be a portal into a DisneyChest video / media connection for a tablet. Boom - instant local storage of some, with MobileMe carrying the rest to sync when you want it - BacktoMyMobileMe content if you will.

Tablet = OS 4.0 preview, OS 4.0 SDK out a bit after announcement, ATV update then possible also. Front Row changes, DisneyChest iTunes video announcements etc.

Big stuff ahead - Apple imo is going to attempt to be 1st before DECE this year. Tablet brings the books, apps, video (and cross platform compatibility/viewing it brings (you pause at position A on a movie, and you can pick it up on your laptop/phone etc) along with data being accessible across you MacBook, iPhone/Touch and tablet.

They got burned over MobileMe - I'd imagine they're not ever going in the near future want to have that happen - they may well stagger the updates for MobileMe specifically to make sure this doesn't happen.

Bringing it back to the MobileMe Gallery -
In the context of a Tablet, this is awesome. I'd imagine video and photo's to shine. (As will Tablet Facebook app!)

That thing about sharing video, pictures with your Granny? The tablet is that device.

aucl
Jan 15, 2010, 08:33 AM
Does anyone have issues with resolution? Is it dynamic (scaled/reduced size picture when over GPRS/Edge/3G vs full size on wifi)?

It feels it is the same 2 resolutions you get when having photos in Photos.app. After zooming in it is getting sharper after downloading the higher res. image.

ItsGavinC
Jan 15, 2010, 08:59 AM

The blue dot means what it has always meant on the iPhone: new content. Those "friends" have new photos in their galleries that have not yet been viewed.

Same as the blue dot in mail, iPod app, messaging app, etc.

DSG
Jan 15, 2010, 09:08 AM
I may have missed something but I was surprised to be able to see the MobileMe galleries of random strangers. These are presumably public but I'm not convinced the owners of said galleries are aware as such!

Cinematographer
Jan 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
I may have missed something but I was surprised to be able to see the MobileMe galleries of random strangers. These are presumably public but I'm not convinced the owners of said galleries are aware as such!

Yes, Apple could indeed make it a little bit clearer what "publish" to the MM gallery means. But what you observed is not limited to the new app. You can see said galleries on the web as well of course.

MacVixen
Jan 15, 2010, 11:26 AM
it was possible to browse it in mobile safari, and i guess it still is (:confused:)

You are correct. It was always possible to view your galleries via mobileSafari. I should have been more clear. I don't even remember the function I was trying to do once, but I tried to access my mobileme site via my iPhone and got the no-go. That just seems silly to me, but I guess I understand it as someone else has stated, most of the services are already on your phone as separate apps.

crees!
Jan 15, 2010, 11:40 AM

Looks nice but I'm unable to login. Anyone else having this problem?

Yes exactly the same problem.

I'm putting in my name and password and I get the same error message. Something is broken... so frustrating !!
any ideas of how to solve this problem ??

I haven't yet had a chance to call up Apple MM tech support. Anyone?

anjinha
Jan 15, 2010, 11:47 AM

Why wouldn't they be aware? You have the option to set your galleries to public or private when you set them up.

MacVixen
Jan 15, 2010, 12:31 PM
I haven't yet had a chance to call up Apple MM tech support. Anyone?

Wish I could be of help. I was able to login right from the get-go. Didn't copy my password over or anything, just typed it right in.

tuliwood
Jan 15, 2010, 02:26 PM
Not sure why but the pictures loaded to MObile me and then viewed on iphone are dreadfull. Smugmug Wallet and flickr gives much better images. Must be the way Apple converts the uploaded images. Why Why Why. Shame I will not use Mobile as it is embarrising to show pictures

aucl
Jan 15, 2010, 02:49 PM
Not sure why but the pictures loaded to MObile me and then viewed on iphone are dreadfull. Smugmug Wallet and flickr gives much better images. Must be the way Apple converts the uploaded images. Why Why Why. Shame I will not use Mobile as it is embarrising to show pictures

would like to compare, do you have a sample of same image in that galleries? can you post a link?

aricher
Jan 15, 2010, 04:11 PM
Nice app, now if they could recode iWeb so my websites created with it appear like they should on the iPhone.

jagardner1984
Jan 16, 2010, 05:00 PM
Does anyone else get an error when trying to watch any MobileMe Movie that was uploaded from iMovie. I can watch movies uploaded via the me.com upload tool absolutely fine, though weirdly they don't appear under movies. But the movies get as far as the Quicktime Player screen, and then it says "The Movie can't be played on this device" or something

Any thoughts ?

James

mikey28
Jan 16, 2010, 11:33 PM
I love the iGallery. Very nice, easy to use. Great way to view/share my pics.

1. Please change the icon. you can do better.
2. Please allow uploads from the camera to the app.

But otherwise, it's gorgeous, and very "apple".

pmd
Jan 17, 2010, 01:59 AM
Does anyone else get an error when trying to watch any MobileMe Movie that was uploaded from iMovie. I can watch movies uploaded via the me.com upload tool absolutely fine, though weirdly they don't appear under movies. But the movies get as far as the Quicktime Player screen, and then it says "The Movie can't be played on this device" or something

Yes, I have the same problem, although I used Quicktime X to convert and upload to MobileMe. There are a few reports of the issue if you google (though the top hit for me is my own Apple Discussions post which is still currently unanswered). There are a also few reviews of the app on iTunes mentioning the problem too. No solutions so far.

aucl
Jan 17, 2010, 05:49 AM
2. Please allow uploads from the camera to the app.

That is possible with the camera.app or photos.app
Guess it would make more sense to integrate gallery with photos. But let's just be grateful for some time that we got that app, and then ask for new features, or changes ;)

SpaceMagic
Jan 17, 2010, 05:57 AM
Nice app, but I don't really see the point. I have all my photos in my "Photos" application. My MobileMe gallery is really all about sharing with friends and family...

Perhaps it's just proof of concept for up-coming Tablet ;)

aucl
Jan 17, 2010, 06:04 AM
Nice app, but I don't really see the point. I have all my photos in my "Photos" application. My MobileMe gallery is really all about sharing with friends and family...

Perhaps it's just proof of concept for up-coming Tablet ;)

Now you can save the space and sync time for the things that you watch only once in a while, …

nelsonlowe
Jan 18, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think mobileme is great, but not worth the price.

EarthDawn
Jan 18, 2010, 03:23 PM
Well... for me it works smooth and easy ....

I like it !

penningtonm
Jan 18, 2010, 04:22 PM
I can't login to the app
I'm using the right name and password

what is the format you are using if it is working for you

name @mac.com
or just the name

tivoboy
Jan 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
I hate it when they release things and REQUIRE update to the latest version of the OS which we know still has issues for some users. Just make it work on the last best x.0 version please

EarthDawn
Jan 18, 2010, 08:07 PM
I can't login to the app
I'm using the right name and password

what is the format you are using if it is working for you

name @mac.com
or just the name

Just your user name ... no @me.com or @mac.com

QCassidy352
Jan 18, 2010, 08:30 PM
That is possible with the camera.app or photos.app
Guess it would make more sense to integrate gallery with photos. But let's just be grateful for some time that we got that app, and then ask for new features, or changes ;)

yes, it would be nice to see it integrated either with photos.app or in a unified mobileme app. But it's nicely done nonetheless, and I'm happy with it for now.

bshakil
Jan 21, 2010, 06:38 AM
i already used my free trial of mobile me .. any way to get another free trial... for testing this app...

miketcool
Jan 27, 2010, 01:13 AM
I still miss my old gallery pages.