Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Streaming music firm Spotify today announced the immediate launch of its beta phase offerings in the United States, debuting as an invitation-only free service paired with two different paid tiers: Unlimited at $4.99/month and Premium at $9.99/month.

spotify_premium_unlimited.jpg
The Spotify app for iPhone [App Store] is also now live in the U.S. App Store, and a subscription to the Premium service is required for mobile device access.
During our invite-only beta phase, we'll be offering three great services - from absolutely free to paid subscriptions. The services we're launching today are:

- Spotify Free - the unsurpassed free music service. With an invite, enjoy on-demand, buffer-free access to over 15 million songs on your computer and great social features. Manage your own music files through Spotify, and sync with your cellphone or iPod. Features occasional advertising.

- Spotify Unlimited - all the special features of our free service, but with uninterrupted, ad-free access to Spotify on your computer. All for only $4.99 a month.

- Spotify Premium - the top-of-the-range Spotify experience. Premium gives you access to all the music, all the time. Listen online or offline, on your computer, your cellphone and a whole heap of other devices. Enjoy enhanced sound quality and access to exclusive content, competitions and special offers. Premium costs just $9.99 a month. (That's the equivalent of a couple of fancy coffees.)
Spotify's free service is debuting in the U.S. with exclusive ad partners Coca-Cola/Sprite, Chevrolet, Motorola, Reebok and Sonos, who are said to be developing specific and innovative ad campaigns for the platform.

Spotify has seen a fair amount of success in Europe, but the service's much-anticipated U.S. launch has been delayed several times as the company sought to acquire approvals from the major record labels. Those pieces began falling into place over the past few weeks, enabling Spotify to finally bring its offerings to the United States.

Article Link: Spotify Makes U.S. Debut With Paid Plans and Invite-Only Free Service

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I understand this look awesome from consumer perspective, but how is this really a sustainable business model?

And already -1 for asking a simple question which has obviously no simple answer.

teloche

macrumors member
May 8, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Streaming music firm Spotify today announced the immediate launch of its beta phase offerings in the United States, debuting as an invitation-only free service paired with two different paid tiers: Unlimted at $4.99/month and Premium at $9.99/month.

The Spotify app for iPhone [App Store] is also now live in the U.S. App Store, and a subscription to the Premium service is required for mobile device access.Spotify's free service is debuting in the U.S. with exclusive ad partners Coca-Cola/Sprite, Chevrolet, Motorola, Reebok and Sonos, who are said to be developing specific and innovative ad campaigns for the platform.

YouTube: video
Spotify has seen a fair amount of success in Europe, but the service's much-anticipated U.S. launch has been delayed several times as the company sought to acquire approvals from the major record labels. Those pieces began falling into place over the past few weeks, enabling Spotify to finally bring its offerings to the United States.

Article Link: Spotify Makes U.S. Debut With Paid Plans and Invite-Only Free Service

and no one else noticed that the prices are mixed up, so is premium 4,99 or 9,99 a month?

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2005
The US seem to have it very lucky, the prices are the same in $ as they are in £ for us in the UK. Unfair :(

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Just because a paid music sevice that isn't offered by Apple doesn't mean it's destined for failure.

Show me where i was talking about failure? I'm asking how this is a sustainable business model that's all. Quit smoking, pal.

The US seem to have it very lucky, the prices are the same in $ as they are in £ for us in the UK. Unfair :(

If it checks just location and doesn't require US credit card then buy some cheap VPN (~5 USD/month) and problem solved.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I got my invite like two year ago and i can't even remember the last time i launched the app.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Does anyone know what happened to the radio functionality Spotify used to have? All the screenshots from Europe show a radio tab. Do they not have radio functionality in the United States version?

Reevey

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
and no one else noticed that the prices are mixed up, so is premium 4,99 or 9,99 a month?

Prem is 9.99
Unlimited is 4.99

I don't see where it's said anything else? =/

I've used Spotify since it came out, happily paying member. It's a fantastic service, works really well. Worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Though I like Pandora, it's nice to see more competition -- as long as it doesn't drive the prices higher (which seems to be happening more often in the US).

I don't understand the Spotify tiers. "Free" obviously has ads, which isn't really a big deal. But what's "invite only?" Does someone currently using Spotify have to invite you? That seems like it would automatically slow down Spotify's adoption rate here.

I don't see much difference between "Unlimited" and "Premium." They both allow unlimited access. "Free" allows mobile syncing. Does "Unlimited" restrict you to just your computer? That would be absurd, paying for a service that gives you less than the free version. I would imagine that most people would want music-to-go, not be restricted to their desktop (or laptop).

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Unlimited (desktop) $4.99, Premium (listen on your phone) $9,99
Not to mention offline playlists, which I use a lot - download as much music as I want over wifi, then listen to it wherever I want without having to sell a kidney to pay for 3G data :D

Now if only they'd finally introduce an iPad app....! According to the responses from their Twitter account they are "working on it"... but have been from quite a long time now - surely it can't be that hard?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I've been a Rdio subscriber for a few months now and am pretty happy with the service, though I sometimes have trouble with hangups or "stuttering" in the music streaming. I will probably give Spotify a try for awhile and see if it seems to work better for me.

Reevey

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Though I like Pandora, it's nice to see more competition -- as long as it doesn't drive the prices higher (which seems to be happening more often in the US).

I don't understand the Spotify tiers. "Free" obviously has ads, which isn't really a big deal. But what's "invite only?" Does someone currently using Spotify have to invite you? That seems like it would automatically slow down Spotify's adoption rate here.

I don't see much difference between "Unlimited" and "Premium." They both allow unlimited access. "Free" allows mobile syncing. Does "Unlimited" restrict you to just your computer? That would be absurd, paying for a service that gives you less than the free version. I would imagine that most people would want music-to-go, not be restricted to their desktop (or laptop).

The free one only allows you to sync music from your own collection (mp3s you have already) or songs you buy from spotify (like itunes) to your device.

Prem lets you create playlists that can be played on ios or android devices, even without internet access (offline playlists).

There's loads of great features that barely get a mention, like collab playlists, great for in the office. The social side of it is done well, it's non-instrusive.

Seriously worth a try

eroplos

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010

I know what you mean! I pay €10,- a month, which is the same as $14,20!! But hey, I happily pay the 10 euros for this service and maybe I will make a US account and pay in dollars, with the premium account you can use the service unlimited world-wide!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.