Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Really? This is something to report on? It must be a slow rumor day, because this is one of the silliest things I've seen on macrumors. I would much rather have another mock of a mock up of a mock up with a watermark that says this is a mock up.

ha.

I agree.

Kinda like looking for validation to feel happy.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Good for Apple or whatever.But who came up with the idea for this chart?

majortom1981

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
hmm

I wouldn't cal this a fair comparison. The apple store only sells apple products. most of these stores sell more then one brand and more then one kind of product.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Really? This is something to report on? It must be a slow rumor day, because this is one of the silliest things I've seen on macrumors. I would much rather have another mock of a mock up of a mock up with a watermark that says this is a mock up.

ha.

agreed. a rather meaningless stat quite frankly.

Costco is showing sales of 80k yet this stat penalizes them for doing so out of a large warehouse.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I would just like to express my sincere congratulations to Apple!

To many more successes!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
That's what I would like to know.

It's very biased to put stores with no global sales in comparison with those that do. The data is skewed.

Huh???? It's a chart showing "US" retail sales. So it's very good information.

I guess the techies here don't care about this sort of thing, but for the people here with sales and marketing backgrounds, this is interesting. It's actually pretty amazing that Apple has mastered retail so well in such a short period of time.

There is more to this industry than spinning propellers you know. :rolleyes:

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

pretty amazing aapl - keep going - rake in that cash and earnings

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
When I look at Tiffany's products, I think how much flash storage I could buy with the same amount or a fully loaded Mac Pro before they are discontinued from the product line as we know it.

yes, but try dragging that fully loaded MacPro up the aisle and wrapping around your beloved's finger.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I"m going to attribute that to the stores being so damn small. And them, what, making 3(or is it 7? I forget) times the profit for one computer than HP does per sell.

It's seriously a problem if you try and go to one on the weekend.

The entire family is there; people walk in and out just to try the machines (which I have no problem with), but when you're going there to actually buy, you have to walk arou,d find somebody who isn't busy, get directed to a table that's full, and wait there until somebody can come and help you purchase.

The idea that you can buy "anywhere" is great, but when the store is always packed, it seems to make more sense to have a line.

It's like the model is built for a Best Buy but it's in a condensed space.

----------

yes, but try dragging that fully loaded MacPro up the aisle and wrapping around your beloved's finger.

While we're on that subject, I'd love for my girlfriend to buy me a SNB processor (the chip itself), have it closed up in a plastic case (like they used to do back in the 90s), and given to me to put on my keychain.

Actually... that's what I'm going to ask her to get me for my birthday. :)

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Considering Apple has the standard bearer in the following categories...

• digital music players
  • tablet computers
  • smartphones
  • premium computers (>$1000)

....is it really any surprise?

The only thing that amazes me is how some of the more gargantuan stores are so profitable when so much space is dedicated to services that are typically loss leaders (ex. One to One lessons) or free (exs. Creative Genius bar and presentation areas).

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Huh???? It's a chart showing "US" retail sales. So it's very good information.

I guess the techies here don't care about this sort of thing, but for the people here with sales and marketing backgrounds, this is interesting. It's actually pretty amazing that Apple has mastered retail so well in such a short period of time.

There is more to this industry than spinning propellers you know. :rolleyes:

Read the original article. It is highlighted, in bold, that they are global sales figures, not just US sales.

I care about the statistics.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Read the original article. It is highlighted, in bold, that they are global sales figures, not just US sales.

I care about the statistics.

I see the reference to the global sales figures now... but I don't understand why that would make this data skewed or worthless? If they are all being judged the same they should be pretty representative.

Either way, it does not matter.... it still shows that Apple has created a cash machine at retail and it's impressive.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Hello!

wonder if this is just brick-and-mortar sales, or if it includes Internet, education sales, etc, as well?

Sales per square foot would mean store sales. I don't think the internet has many square feet to it.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I"m going to attribute that to the stores being so damn small. And them, what, making 3(or is it 7? I forget) times the profit for one computer than HP does per sell.

It's seriously a problem if you try and go to one on the weekend.

The entire family is there; people walk in and out just to try the machines (which I have no problem with), but when you're going there to actually buy, you have to walk arou,d find somebody who isn't busy, get directed to a table that's full, and wait there until somebody can come and help you purchase.

The idea that you can buy "anywhere" is great, but when the store is always packed, it seems to make more sense to have a line.

It's like the model is built for a Best Buy but it's in a condensed space.
QUOTE]

It sounds like you are suggesting that Apple change their model. Why do that if you're on top?

I don't know where you live, but Apple stores around here are as large if not larger then any store in the surrounding area. The reason they seem small is that so many people there are busy making purchasing decisions. That's what it's all about. If they didn't need to touch an feel, they would simply make the purchase on-line.

Go to BestBuy and note how much product can be toched and tried out. Except for the Apple display, everything's in blister-packs, innoperable, or innaccessible.

theosib

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
Bored by Apple Stores

Actually, i think Apple stores are great. Lots of shiny computers, nice sales people, etc. They're really great when I actually want to BUY something.

But the rest of the time, the dazzle wears off in about 5 minutes, and then I'm standing around bored. I know all about Apple computers. I have no questions, unless it's about an iPod bumper case or some other 3rd party accessory. There's no software there to play with that I don't already have (or don't care about). I can't BROWSE in an Apple store either, because there's such a limited range of products.

Now, compare this to Fry's or Microcenter. Huge selections of all sorts of stuff I can browse through. I can actually keep myself entertained for maybe 30 minutes.

The most time I ever spend browsing a store, actually, is on Newegg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.