Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If you mean after a reboot, yes, Resume now arranges Spaces in the correct order.

Unfortunately, no. It sounds like it could be a helpful feature though.

This has been possible since 10.7.2.
I know, I meant I want them to be saved that way. They don't stay saved but that doesn't matter since you're saying that's fixed in ML.

For the most part this seems to have been fixed in ML; restarting a crashed app will load it in windowed mode, but entering Full-Screen will insert it between the two spaces it last was. In addition, apps that enter Full-Screen are now sent one slot to the right of the current Space, and not all the way to the far right as they were with Lion.
That's a definite improvement. Thanks!

Uh... the full screen app just moves out of the way? Like any other app?

I really don't understand why people here think a full screen app is so special when it comes to window management that it deserves it's own dedicated desktop. Maybe Apple brainwashing works?

It's amazing how other apps have implemented full screen capabilities without comprising consistency. I use a hot corner to show my desktop. Unfortunately... if I happen to be using a FS app at the time I'm screwed and now have more swipes/keystrokes to deal with just to get there. Can there be anything less intuitive than having one app behave differently than any other simply because it has no menu and title bar?

Full Screen apps let me use my dock... why not the desktop?
Exactly! On the iPad it makes sense because you can't do any of that in the first place.

If you are talking about what I think you are, you've been able to turn that off since Mission Control was introduced in Lion.

There's a checkbox in System Preferences: "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use."
That just turns off automatic space management. I want certain certain apps in certain places always. As a Snow Leopard Spaces power user nothing pisses me off more than a full screen app crashing and then restarting at the far right of the desktop/full screen app list.

I always want:
screenshot20120218at120.png

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
Guys, is this new?

When you're in Stacks (grid view) and navigate to a folder, now there's a keyboard shortcut to go back (out of the folder): command+arrow up.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Guys, is this new?

When you're in Stacks (grid view) and navigate to a folder, now there's a keyboard shortcut to go back (out of the folder): command+arrow up.

No it's not new

EDIT: BEATEN

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
nvm

----------

That just turns off automatic space management. I want certain certain apps in certain places always. As a Snow Leopard Spaces power user nothing pisses me off more than a full screen app crashing and then restarting at the far right of the desktop/full screen app list.

I always want:

You can in Lion, just not with an app that's in full screen.

Last edited:

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
Not sure if this is new:

In Safari, say, you go to a page with a nested URL: www.abc.com/folder1/folder2/folder3/index.html. If you secondary-click on the page title on top of the browser window, you'll get a list of URL's for each subfolder:
1. www.abc.com/folder1/folder2/folder3
2. www.abc.com/folder1/folder2
3. www.abc.com/folder1
4. www.abc.com

img.png

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
A full-screen app is a standalone window with no underlying desktop. I'm not sure that it'd make much sense to implement this feature due to this UI design conflict. How is the desktop supposed to manage the windows that had been opened from behind a fullscreen app? They would be hidden out of sight, which could lead to major confusion.

Why would there be no underlying desktop? While you can have lots of desktops, their icon contents will be the same on each one. It would make complete sense for me to want to drag an image from Safari in full screen onto the desktop, but it's impossible because you can't show the desktop while in full screen.

The problems with full screen in Lion are:

• Can't show desktop
  • Can't show dock with Wacom Tablet (because of absolute positionning)
  • Quitting and reopening an app will always bring it out of full screen mode
  • Full screen apps create more desktops, so if you already have loads, swiping from desktop 1 to desktop 5 is a huge pain with 3 full screen apps and 5 desktops in between
  • Slow animation that brings the app in and out of full screen
  • Activating Mission Control while in a full screen app will show Desktop 1 - why? I completely lose track of where the hell I am
  • Putting something in full screen places it on the far right if you don't check "Automatically Rearrange Desktops"

… so I never use Full Screen, I really hope ML addresses most of these...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Why would there be no underlying desktop? While you can have lots of desktops, their icon contents will be the same on each one. It would make complete sense for me to want to drag an image from Safari in full screen onto the desktop, but it's impossible because you can't show the desktop while in full screen.

• Can't show desktop
  • Full screen apps create more desktops, so if you already have loads, swiping from desktop 1 to desktop 5 is a huge pain with 3 full screen apps and 5 desktops in between
  • Activating Mission Control while in a full screen app will show Desktop 1 - why? I completely lose track of where the hell I am
  • Putting something in full screen places it on the far right if you don't check "Automatically Rearrange Desktops"

Someone else who knows my frustration!

However, "Quitting and reopening an app will always bring it out of full screen mode" isn't true. I know this because Safari 5.1.2 used to crash constantly for me and it always stole focus as it started back up in full screen (apps that have crashed and relaunch steal focus and that is another thing that pisses me off). Thankfully the crashing issue has been fixed in 5.2.

----------

Something else I just thought of, does Finder show a loading circle when it's loading a folder's contents like it does in Snow Leopard? That was removed in Lion (I think because of the rewrite). It's easy to show on a HDD based Mac when looking at the Applications folder.

Last edited:

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London

• Can't show desktop

I'm confused by what you mean about activating Mission Control in Lion. Lion Mission Control, for me shows the 10 desktops that I have, plus dashboard to the left, n then fullscreen apps on the right including safari, mail, iCal, Spotify, iTunes etc etc..

About the more desktops issue...isn't that why they invented mission control? :s I tend to not have an issue with that :)

I could agree about desktop being shown n stuff.. although to be honest i don't find that an issue which i have noticed before you mentioned it. I tend to just switch apps (cmd+tab/swipe) where necessary ;)

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Small one:
App Store finally has fullscreen mode. Was surprised that that wasn't incorporated into the release of Lion, to be perfectly honest. Would be nice to see it in a few others for consistency's sake- for example, in System Preferences.

also two-finger gestures are in the app store and itunes now, still not in finder though

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I'm confused by what you mean about activating Mission Control in Lion. Lion Mission Control

I mean that say you're in a full screen app somewhere between desktop 9 and desktop 10. You do a four-finger-swipe-up, and the big desktop you see in the middle will be Desktop 1. I barely use Desktop 1 since it's not "surrounded" by other desktops. My main desktop is probably Desktop 3-4, so I don't want to see Desktop 1 each time I enter Mission Control from a full screen app.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

I guess that makes sense. If fullscreen apps had a desktop "peeking" feature that only allowed you to drag and drop items, that'd be fine. If you tried to launch an app while viewing the desktop, then that app would simply automatically switch you to the 1st available space, which akin to the behavior seen when you open a new app from the dock in a fullscreen app.

Speedyparker87

Cancelled
Apr 4, 2010
Chicago
Does Safari now have keyword searches too? So for example, I can type in "a iPad 3" and it searches Amazon for iPad 3?

One of the only things I miss from my days using Chrome. That and the ability to click on a folder in the bookmarks bar and then hover over to the next folder to see its contents, rather than click off the first folder and click on to the next. Btw, is that changed?

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I installed it on my old 2008 MBP with 2 GB of RAM. Of course, performance is not so great, but that's not a surprise. It's still usable though!

Little things:
- As mentioned above, Safari finally has a omnibar! Great! Hope this makes it into Lion and we don't have to wait for ML to get it.
- iCloud implementation has made a step forward. I love that I can save documents to the cloud directly.
- Notifications: Looks good!
- Notes: Looks much better than the Lion version of it

What is still missing:
- Finder option to browse the cloud
- Notes should accept handwritten notes (not gonna happen, I know)

Sorry if all of this has been mentioned before. I'm just excited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.