Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stueee123

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
You're wrong! Hooray!

Browsing the cloud in Finder wild be a step towards file syncing iCloud/Mac.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I'm wrong, but how I understand the announcement from Phil is that file sync will only work via app-centric saving. E.g. you can only sync Pages documents if they are saved the optional "new way" in Pages but not if they are saved the "tradional" way in Finder.

You have the option to drag files to the icloud window in any app from the finder or other apps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-19 at 12.06.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-19 at 12.06.54 PM.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 344

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Yes, just look at all those iPads not selling because of not having a "proper" file system.

File system is passe, and will eventually go the way of the Terminal. Popular with more tech savvy but not so much with the average consumer.

I have to agree. Working directly with the file system like in the Finder will still be possible, and it will be as easily accessible as opening an app (like the command line is). But most people aren't going to bother because they won't need to.

----------

Only deal breaker for me ATM: Can no longer drag files into the Open File dialog box to select it.

Hopefully its just a bug and they will fix it. Reporting it ASAP ;)

You can drag them to the chrome of the open window or sheet (top or bottom). This is how it was in Lion initially, then they fixed it. It's probably a bug.

Also, you can't hit enter to select a file. Hitting enter renames it, like in the Finder.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Only deal breaker for me ATM: Can no longer drag files into the Open File dialog box to select it.

Hopefully its just a bug and they will fix it. Reporting it ASAP ;)

This was the same in Lion, but in Lion you can drag the file onto the bottom or top part of the open/save dialog (where the "Cancel" and "Open" buttons are), see if it works in ML!

Excellent. I don't really understand what the excuse is for not having this in Finder now. It's going to really frustrate me if they have incorporated these gestures into most, but not all of the apps. It's not good for the general consumers either- imagine how jarring they'll find it to suddenly have something that's been so consistent not work. That is of course, assuming that they aren't trying to de-emphasise Finder as much as possible in Mountain Lion, and encourage the single-task state that's used in iOS further. Not complaining, just observing/wondering.

You can get the old Snow Leopard style 3-finger swipe to do back/forward in Lion, so that's also probably the case in ML. First, set "Swipe Between Full Screen Apps" to 4 fingers only, and then set "Swipe Between Pages" to "2 or 3 fingers". That way, you can use the 2-finger gesture in Safari (with the animation) or the 3-finger gesture (no animation) in either Safari or Finder (and also Preview and Pages I think).

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Yes, just look at all those iPads not selling because of not having a "proper" file system.

File system is passe, and will eventually go the way of the Terminal. Popular with more tech savvy but not so much with the average consumer.

The iPad is mainly for consuming, there's no tasks on the iPad that would require sorting lots of documents - though I'm pretty sure power users get annoyed if they have to manage, say, 10 or more Numbers documents in one list without folders. iPads are selling because you can use them to read books or watch movies on the go, and do the things you need a file system for with the Mac.

Sure, most people might not bother with the file system anymore because they won't need it, like rorschach said. But if by Terminal you mean the Terminal application, there's little doubt that that's always going to stick around for people who like to use it, so I don't see how that supports an argument that the file system will get removed.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
he was using it as an analogy. computing used to require terminal/dos prompts to do tasks. Now it's not required, but still around for those who like to use it.

He believes the file system will be similar. He doesn't mean it will literally go away (it will always remain in the background and in finder for those who want to use it) but if you don't want to/know how to use a file system the app will take care of it for you.

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
he was using it as an analogy. computing used to require terminal/dos prompts to do tasks. Now it's not required, but still around for those who like to use it.

Thanks for clarifying. I misread QuarterSwede's post saying "Apple is trying to get away from the Finder" and interpreted it as "Apple is trying to do away with the Finder", as in get rid of it completely. Hence my response that a lot of people wouldn't accept that. My bad!

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
Minimized App Icons

I know in Mission Control the icon has gone in bottom right since Lion, but in Dock, if you have this option off of course...

20120219-ncf5811t8yxu9skc35fic3j5cn.jpg

Minimized Apps in the Dock now show their icon in the bottom right corner of the Window Thumbnails.

20120218-e7u582ahhud98j1i17ucew4yy9.jpg

----------

I know this was mentioned before, but no screenshot was shown though, thought I would show you. O but also wasn't mention that the buttons (In Highlighted Circle) the one to the left when clicked triggers the Groups side-pane to be shown.

20120218-kr2e2fu5m3mwsfhcws9eibe9f5.jpg

----------

You can check off which fields you want to share in your Contact Card.

20120218-dfigwehtur1g19ewuk4dqgji6p.jpg

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
Launchpad

When searching for an App or Widget (Yes, Widgets now has its own Launchpad with everything App Launchpad has) through Launchpad, you can drag an Apps icon out of the search results, and it will exit the search results, and bring you back to the last Launchpad screen you were on, with the Icon still being hold onto, good for when you want to find a specific App to move into a Folder.

And heres some more clarification on the Launchpad for Widgets. Like I said, it has everything the App Launchpad has. (Which by the way is a Good sign, that they'll be bringing Widgets to the Mac App Store, instead of the Web Distribution which hasn't added a new Widget in over a year, completely abandoned it after Apple completely redesigned the site, strangely, which they strangely never highlighted at all, nor did any of the news outlets pick up, that they redesigned the site. And also good sign they may be bringing Widgets to iOS in a future update) Anyway heres some more screenshots showing off everything App Launchpad can do, Widgets Launchpad can do.

Folders

20120218-fkkj2cy6trxppxfa8tp64xg1me.jpg

Which can of course be renamed.

Deletion, which holding down Option, or exclusice to the Dashboard Launchpad, clicking the Minus sign, will cause the Widgets to Wiggle, with X signs in their top left. And a confirmation window will even pop up asking you, "Are you sure you want to Delete Widget X"

And since theres no Mac App Store for Widgets you can delete ALL Widgets no matter where you downloaded them from using the X in the top left corner unlike Apps that you DIDN't download from The Mac App Store.

20120218-efe4ua28k9cu9p66ixeedcgpef.jpg

Preinstalled Apps & Widgets, and just like Preinstalled Mac Apps, Preinstalled Mac Widgets wont have an X in their top left corner to be deleted, (Which I don't get why people hate that on iOS)

20120219-8q513eegytnji1475sm7jcwqe.jpg

Search, you can start typing when in the Widgets Launchpad and search results will come up live. (Also forgot to mention search feature starts working even when start typing when you have a Launchpad folder open, regardless of whether in App or Widget Launchpad.)

20120219-rr9gd77ad85bppr6km4xskxmeb.jpg

----------

Share sheets is also supported in Contacts.

20120219-8thrgewnk8nq1asjbx9t68phue.jpg

----------

Theres a new New Built-In Contacts Finder. Doesn't work right now though.

20120219-nkheg31tx3rwnd6nnttbdy76bg.jpg

----------

Theres no a longer a MobileMe Preference Pane in OS X Lion, getting ready to totally phase it out.

20120219-j6nar3a513hjjkgs2j7ue8s19q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
New in iTunes: when you buy a song, you can start playing it as soon as starts downloading without having to wait for the download to finish.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

He believes the file system will be similar. He doesn't mean it will literally go away (it will always remain in the background and in finder for those who want to use it) but if you don't want to/know how to use a file system the app will take care of it for you.
Exactly. In the future using a file manager will be as foreign to most as using Terminal is nowadays.

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Exactly. In the future using a file manager will be as foreign to most as using Terminal is nowadays.

That's a good thing though, right? People shouldn't have to learn how to use a file manager if there's an easier way that works for them. I mean, I can imagine a lot of people just drop everything in their Documents folder now - and it works, thanks to Spotlight and the likes.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's a good thing though, right? People shouldn't have to learn how to use a file manager if there's an easier way that works for them. I mean, I can imagine a lot of people just drop everything in their Documents folder now - and it works, thanks to Spotlight and the likes.
Personally, I think it's a great thing. Apps can give you the ability to manage files much better. Think about iPhoto or iTunes and how much more powerful they are for photos and media.

jeb2u

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2010
You have the option to drag files to the icloud window in any app from the finder or other apps.

So I assume since we've seen that Preview and TextEdit have the ability to save files directly to iCloud in ML, that in iOS 6 there will be Preview and TextEdit apps? Otherwise what's the point in saving to iCloud, except maybe to syncs across Macs. But with Apple pushing iOS devices, I assume they'll have native iOS apps which are equivalent to Preview and TextEdit (of course, iBooks already has the ability to save pdfs).

madeofchalk

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
So I assume since we've seen that Preview and TextEdit have the ability to save files directly to iCloud in ML, that in iOS 6 there will be Preview and TextEdit apps? Otherwise what's the point in saving to iCloud, except maybe to syncs across Macs. But with Apple pushing iOS devices, I assume they'll have native iOS apps which are equivalent to Preview and TextEdit (of course, iBooks already has the ability to save pdfs).

Wouldn't count on it. iCloud is still a handy way to have files backed up in another location. Just like how people with only iPhone still get value out of iCloud on their phones.

This was the same in Lion, but in Lion you can drag the file onto the bottom or top part of the open/save dialog (where the "Cancel" and "Open" buttons are), see if it works in ML!

No, I'm almost certain it worked properly. If you dragged a file into the file browser part of the dialog it would select the file, rather than copying it (which it did for me once in ML!) or denying it. Dragging the file into the bottom of the box selects the file. Interesting... I hope it is temporarily broken because of the changes they made with the iCloud file box.

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Wouldn't count on it. iCloud is still a handy way to have files backed up in another location. Just like how people with only iPhone still get value out of iCloud on their phones.

I wonder - is it just a backup in another location, or is iCloud the only location then? Like, will copies of the files in iCloud be saved on the Mac for when you don't have internet access?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

No, I'm almost certain it worked properly. If you dragged a file into the file browser part of the dialog it would select the file, rather than copying it (which it did for me once in ML!) or denying it. Dragging the file into the bottom of the box selects the file. Interesting... I hope it is temporarily broken because of the changes they made with the iCloud file box.

It does work properly in Lion. But it didn't initially.

In 10.7.0, it was broken.
In 10.7.1, it was fixed and you could drag files to open/save dialogs to select them.

In 10.8.0 DP1, it's now broken again.

And I do consider it "broken."

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

jeb2u said:
stueee123 said:

Not sure about preview & TextEdit coming to iOS. Saving to iCloud from those Apps is an easy way to share across macs.

For example:
A group is working on a project. Rather than using Dropbox, they use iCloud and a single login to share files with each other instantly & also be able to see changes live as they happen (John Gruber who was at the Apple ML demo said Schiller showed him a demo of editing a document on a Mac & the changes being instantly reflected on the iPad when the file was saved to iCloud via the Mac. He said that the document on the iPad didn't need to be closed and reopen, the changes just appeared.)

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not sure about preview & TextEdit coming to iOS. Saving to iCloud from those Apps is an easy way to share across macs.

For example:
A group is working on a project. Rather than using Dropbox, they use iCloud and a single login to share files with each other instantly & also be able to see changes live as they happen (John Gruber who was at the Apple ML demo said Schiller showed him a demo of editing a document on a Mac & the changes being instantly reflected on the iPad when the file was saved to iCloud via the Mac. He said that the document on the iPad didn't need to be closed and reopen, the changes just appeared.)

Data corruption potential means it wont happen. With simultaneous edits happening, how does iCloud decide which version is correct? iCloud is a single user sevice, not designed for you to be editing the same file in multiple places simultaneously.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Data corruption potential means it wont happen. With simultaneous edits happening, how does iCloud decide which version is correct? iCloud is a single user sevice, not designed for you to be editing the same file in multiple places simultaneously.

In cases with multiple users, It could simply tell "User1" that is going to edit the file, that it is checked out by "User2". It wouldn't allow simultaneous edits, but it would resolve the issue your talking about. It's not a perfect solution, but could work in some cases.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
In cases with multiple users, It could simply tell "User1" that is going to edit the file, that it is checked out by "User2". It wouldn't allow simultaneous edits, but it would resolve the issue your talking about. It's not a perfect solution, but could work in some cases.

Microsoft's sharepoint does this. From experience
people never ever remember to check things back in. Ever. Leaving the file read only.
I'm sure apple would make a better job of it, if they wanted to. But it's not what the product is aimed at, so I don't see them trying to tackle this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.