Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Shame the money didnt go to a much more deserving causes.

It must be the holiday season already. Because the child of Scrooge and The Grinch just posted on MR.

Apple donates to a variety of causes....Product (Red), Katrina, Prop 8, etc. If you have better causes in mind, then get out from behind your screen and do something about it.

Also, I can't believe people still found a way to mention Samsung, Steve Jobs, politics, and the usual arguments on here. Sometimes a good thing is simply just that: A. Good. Thing. Let it be.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
$2.5M is $2.5M no matter the size of a donor's bank account. I am sure the Red Cross is grateful. I can't believe folks are dissing Apple for this donation. Oh wait, this is Mac Rumors or should I say "Android-Windows-Samsung Fans Hate on Apple/Apple Users Rumors?" :rolleyes:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It is nice to see Tim doing the right thing compared to Jobs who did jack crap in things like this. Tim is at least taking apple from making god awful looking good to crap. That is a huge step in the right direction and long term I see it getting even better.

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
GG Apple for doing this, and really any company or individual who helps out those in need....it was weird that a Cat 1 storm caused so much destruction

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Why $2.5 million? Why not $2 million or $3 million? Or $5 million? Or $2.29 million? As others have pointed out, they have billions in cash. Why give in a half million increment?

It's almost like a mere mortal at the coffeeshop having a bunch of change in their pocket but deciding to put just a nickel in the tip jar. It's almost an insult. Sure I could give more, no problem, but you only get this nickel.

Yes, enough nickels will add up, and I'm sure the $500,000 will be put to good use in helping victims of Sandy, and yes Apple didn't have to give anything, but it seems rather strange to give $2.5 million.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I've pledged towards this. It always amazes me just how destructive nature can be...you get the feeling it could wipe out the human race anytime it wanted.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
This is disgusting. 2.5 million for a company that has 100 plus BILLION in CASH! All you people saying its nice of apple have no logic for money and how much apple is really worth. You are talking about one of the biggest disasters in US History and apple throws a little 2.5 million dollar check on the table and says "ok we did our part"

Like someone mention earlier this is pennies. It's almost sad in the sense that most of the people who were effected own apple products and the best apple can do is 2.5 million? Yet they spent 3 BILLION to bail out Sharp a non US company?

Sorry guys you won't find a bigger fan of their products as me but their business motto and how they are starting to operate is really getting annoying.

I agree with what you said. $2.5M is nothing, compared to what they have in disposable cash. Hell, even Lady Gaga donated $1M and I'm sure her fortune is nowhere near that of Apple's. -- I've never criticized Apple, but this is sad. They could've done a little more!!

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'm stuck wondering where's the "This would never have happened if Steve Jobs was still CEO" reply.

As a northern NJ resident and frequent NJ Shore vacationer, I say Thank You to Apple and other corporations and individuals who have contributed any thing at all to the relief efforts.

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Why $2.5 million? Why not $2 million or $3 million? Or $5 million? Or $2.29 million? As others have pointed out, they have billions in cash. Why give in a half million increment?

It's almost like a mere mortal at the coffeeshop having a bunch of change in their pocket but deciding to put just a nickel in the tip jar. It's almost an insult. Sure I could give more, no problem, but you only get this nickel.

Yes, enough nickels will add up, and I'm sure the $500,000 will be put to good use in helping victims of Sandy, and yes Apple didn't have to give anything, but it seems rather strange to give $2.5 million.

i guess i understand what you're saying, but it seems a little weird to really care that they did 2.5 million. Maybe they have 5 million they needed to donate and did half here and will do half somewhere else. Maybe they needed to "dump" 2.5 million for tax purposes or something, i dunno.
In the end, i think no matter what you give to others who have less is important, whether it's 2 dollars or 2.5 million

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
$2.5M is $2.5M no matter the size of a donor's bank account. I am sure the Red Cross is grateful. I can't believe folks are dissing Apple for this donation. Oh wait, this is Mac Rumors or should I say "Android-Windows-Samsung Fans Hate on Apple/Apple Users Rumors?" :rolleyes:

Or, perhaps, some (but not all) people on this forum love their country more than they love Apple?

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
What a stupid comment. They didn't have to donate a single penny yet they donated two and a half MILLION dollars! Their net worth is totally irrelevant. $2.5m will make a LOT of difference to a LOT of people. You should be thanking Apple, not slating them. Fool.

Classy response. You should be so proud. Didnt realize name-calling was allowed here, I guess only from the "Apple is God" crowd.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
This is disgusting. 2.5 million for a company that has 100 plus BILLION in CASH! All you people saying its nice of apple have no logic for money and how much apple is really worth. You are talking about one of the biggest disasters in US History and apple throws a little 2.5 million dollar check on the table and says "ok we did our part"

Like someone mention earlier this is pennies. It's almost sad in the sense that most of the people who were effected own apple products and the best apple can do is 2.5 million? Yet they spent 3 BILLION to bail out Sharp a non US company?

Sorry guys you won't find a bigger fan of their products as me but their business motto and how they are starting to operate is really getting annoying.

Hey, stop complaining, at least Apple DID something...
Apple wouldv'e never even cared about this disaster.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
It is so good to see Apple helping hurricane Sandy's victims. Although I have seen higher donations from private parties, it was a nice gesture.

BUT the fact that they announce it so publicly, it is all for publicity, sad but true.

I don't know if this is just ignorance or that you failed to read the first 8 words of the post:

9to5Mac shares an email sent to Apple employees by CEO Tim Cook announcing that the company has donated $2.5 million to the American Red Cross in support of Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.

but there was no announcement.

In fact it was Samsung that posted a press release on their website about their donation. But either way it's great to see these two powerhouses donating to that cause.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
On the other hand, what did people donate to Haiti? While New York is nearer to many, Haiti had an earthquake that killed hundreds of thousands, made a million people homeless, in a tiny country that didn't have any spare cash in the first place.

The United States also has no spare cash as well.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I agree with what you said. $2.5M is nothing, compared to what they have in disposable cash. Hell, even Lady Gaga donated $1M and I'm sure her fortune is nowhere near that of Apple's. -- I've never criticized Apple, but this is sad. They could've done a little more!!

Me I am writing off the rather poor amount for Apple along the lines of it is taking time to fix the culture that Steve Jobs made of making Apple a greedy and being a very piss poor corporate citizen to something better.

It is just slow going.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
It is nice to see Tim doing the right thing compared to Jobs who did jack crap in things like this. Tim is at least taking apple from making god awful looking good to crap. That is a huge step in the right direction and long term I see it getting even better.

It's RUMOURED that Jobs contributed regularly to charity. He just didn't make it a big deal and call news conferences about it. He did it silently and anonymously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.