Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Agreed. Especially after the nice installment they got from Samsung. I have seen Apple shifting in the wrong direction right around the time Steve got sick. I used to be in love with everything Apple ever made, their business motto and I was proud to use/buy their products.

Nowadays they have become another Microsoft and the fact I still buy their products (to be honest) is because I am used to the software and user experience, don't want to learn the whole Android and Windows mobile software. That pride that once existed, is no longer there.

Cant argue with that. I've felt the same myself recently. Whilst I did feel a strong allegiance to them a couple of years ago, I've found myself really disliking what they have become over the last 12 to 18 months.

I cant point my finger on what's changed the 'feel' of the company. I guess the lawsuit and lack of any real compelling products has been one of the main reasons. It just seems as though they have decided to stop any serious work on the mac line and focus just on iOS stuff.

As with you, the only reason I find myself sticking with Apple right now is that I'm used to the software, despite the core UI of Mac OS feeling very old and dated now.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Some people preaching here will likely give more in tips to bartenders in the next week than they'll give to the hurricane charity (or any other).
Keep your charity thoughts to yourself and just concentrate on your own actions.
Try giving TIME as well as money to charitable causes in your area, instead of wasting your work time here lecturing others, or complaining that what others do is not enough. It's what YOU do or don't do that should concern you. And for 99.99% of you, just as with myself, what YOU do is way too little. So don't preach.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Indeed. This donation is for publicity only.

:apple:

Personally - as someone who lives in NYC - I don't really care if it's for publicity. Or what the amount is. Every bit helps. Could they give more - yes. But at least they gave. There are so many people who lost lives, homes, etc and are still without power or water.

Are there other charities to give to - absolutely. But why begrudge a charitable donation.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
2.5 Million is great, and I had to come here to find out about it. It was not done for public approval.

On that note, the show Secret Millionaire pisses me off. They go into poor neighborhoods and at the end write a check for 50,000 and are looked at like they are a saint.

Some of these people are worth 50-100 million on this show and they only give 50k for a hour hour commercial for their respective companies. That show should be banned!! They donate .10 cents essentially!!

diagnostics247

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
It would be nice to see some funds go to a more direct action response group, such as Team Rubicon.

Glad to see Apple donating though.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
It would be nice to see some funds go to a more direct action response group, such as Team Rubicon.

Glad to see Apple donating though.

I agree. Although the cause is well deserving, I've noticed that many other companies did the same thing. Why does it have to be the Red Cross? So it is a nice tax write off and serves as publicity as well.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Wow. Just...WOW.

How sad and disheartening this thread is!

Are we really that petty and feel so entitled that we complain about what good a person (or entity in this case) does???

If a driver in a Mercedes waves a bum on the street to his car and gives him $1, he'd be thankful!! Some here act as if they would have been angry and cursed out the driver.:rolleyes: The bum wouldn't care for the reason the driver wanted to give money away...

Some here have chosen to focus on the money Apple's keeping, and not on the money that will HELP PEOPLE, which is what the article is about.

C'mon people, FOCUS. Apple gave a large amount of money to those in need. (For you fault-finders, I know that Samsung gave even more, and this is fantastic)

Hopefully, Apple's (and Samsung's) high visibility as a company will cause other entities to jump in and donate substantial amounts like this, even if it is just pennies to them. Good is good, period.

To those of you that haven't yet, give what you can. A dollar, 50 cents, whatever. Despite what the politicians, blowhards, angry-partiers, and fault-finders tell you, it is never wrong to help those in need, reasons be damned. For in doing so, you love your neighbor. There is no higher aspiration.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Samsung donated on Nov 5, Apple did it on Nov 8. How is it that Samsung wanted to "top that" ?

LOL obviously it was a joke.

Simmer down kind sir.

----------

Samsung donated on Nov 5, Apple did it on Nov 8. How is it that Samsung wanted to "top that" ?

And exactly how much did you donate before the hurricane hit?

Again a joke lol.

Holy you guys take **** to seriously.

Relax alright... Its Friday.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
And exactly how much did you donate before the hurricane hit?

He is right in one respect: When the Red Cross helps, the sequence is: Some disaster happens, people donate money to the Red Cross, the Red Cross helps. So there's a delay. A company with lots of cash like Apple could say for example "here is ten million credit, but we'll want that money back when you have it", so the Red Cross could start immediately.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
Shame the money didnt go to a much more deserving causes.

I'm not sure if I'm more repulsed by your ignorant and rude comment, or by the fact that nearly 25 others up-voted your comment.

Living in NY the devastation is terrible. I'm very fortunate in that I have not lost my home or cars, but have had to live without power for nearly two weeks now. To top that all off it is nearly impossible to find gas unless you want to wait 2 hours, and we just got hit with a massive snow storm.

Thousands and thousands of people lost everything, their home, clothes, cars, even loved ones. Many tunnels and bridges that get in and out of NYC are still closed and large parts of the city still without power.

Where I live didn't even get hit by the brunt of it... I can only imagine the devastation in places like NJ where the storm really pounded.

theloon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Is that all!

Obviously good to see the money being donated, but this is a ******** amount from Apple.

Around 8 mins revenue from a company that makes 156 billion a year (2012).

In comparison Lady Gaga donated donated 1 million, and I'm pretty sure she does not make billions a year.

Massive FAIL

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Apple is actually thanking the Hurricane.

tumblr_mcs00mX7Xz1rhf7z8o1_500.png

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
this is like me or you giving a beggar a few pennies, id have been impressed if it had 2.5 Billion with a B..

Because Apple was doing this to impress you. See, no matter what, Apple gets a deduction on their taxes. So really you would have mentioned that, and STILL not been impressed. It's never enough is it?

I knew a comment like this would be in the first ten.

Why don't you go find out what 2.5 million dollars does for relief efforts. Then realize Apple didn't HAVE to do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I don't know, maybe THOUSANDS of children dying in Africa each day because of malnutrition, no medical care, ... But our thoughts go to people who don't have electricity and gas.

It's true; there are thousands of worthwhile causes in this world. Most people aren't even aware of many of them. There's starving people, no medical care, people dying of diseases that we haven't discovered how to cure yet. People whose homes and families have been destroyed. But what happened in New York, New Jersey and other east coast communities isn't just about electricity and gas. There are people without homes, without food. People that have lost family members.

With so many tragedies in this world, people have to choose where they want their help to go. Generally, disasters that happen inside of a country tend to garner the most support from people within that country. It doesn't mean that the people there don't care about anyone else. We all have to choose what causes we want to take up, because we can't take up all of them. No one can. Support the charities that do the work you believe in. And don't criticize others for doing the same.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Obviously good to see the money being donated, but this is a ******** amount from Apple.

Around 8 mins revenue from a company that makes 156 billion a year (2012).

In comparison Lady Gaga donated donated 1 million, and I'm pretty sure she does not make billions a year.

Massive FAIL

You're right, they should have continued doing nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.