Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Milky Way, Andromeda, Bode's Galaxy, Cartwheel Galaxy, Centaurus A, Cigar Galaxy, Comet Galaxy, Hoag's Object, Large Magellanic Cloud, Small Magellanic Cloud, Mayall's Object, Omega Centauri, Pinwheel Galaxy, Sculptor Galaxy, Sombrero Galaxy, Sunflower Galaxy, Tadpole Galaxy, Triangulum Galaxy, Whirlpool Galaxy

I think on second thought, naming OS's after galaxies is not such an appealing idea. My vote is for Sci-Fi robots.

Yes. OSX Cylon.

battlestar-galactica-battlestar-galactica-two-cylons.jpg

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Milky Way, Andromeda, Bode's Galaxy, Cartwheel Galaxy, Centaurus A, Cigar Galaxy, Comet Galaxy, Hoag's Object, Large Magellanic Cloud, Small Magellanic Cloud, Mayall's Object, Omega Centauri, Pinwheel Galaxy, Sculptor Galaxy, Sombrero Galaxy, Sunflower Galaxy, Tadpole Galaxy, Triangulum Galaxy, Whirlpool Galaxy

I think on second thought, naming OS's after galaxies is not such an appealing idea. My vote is for Sci-Fi robots.

I think some of those are stages from Super Mario Galaxy.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
OS X 10.9 Polecat: "Honestly, it stinks, because we've been focusing our resources on making iOS awesome. But OS X 10.10 will be out later in Q4, and it's going to blow your socks off!"

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Not again. This has been done to death. After OSX 10.9 comes 10.10, then 10.11 etc. Version numbers are not your usual decimal numbers.

OS 11 is probably 3-5 years away.

OS XI? I don't know what they would do to OS X to make it OS XI, other than version 10.11.x

I'm surprised Apple doesn't call iOS, iOS X and then version 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc.

It would be nice if they brought the numbering together at some point since they are now scheduling yearly releases for both and seem to be bringing some features/functionality to be on par with one another.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
"Lets just release half baked OSes each year and pile bugs on top of bugs" said Craig Federighi. "Great idea" exclaimed Scott as he was headed out the door on his last day.

Later that day Tim Cook was reading his favorite site, MacRumors. His eyes widened and locked focus. He was trying to make sense of this weird file:/// issue. He called over Phil to explain what this all meant. Once he grasped what the bug meant, he ran over to the phone and speed dialed Craig. What the **** Craig.

How can you let this slip? Don't you *******s test this **** before releasing it? Holding back tears, Craig minced that this was Scott's idea and that he didn't realize Scott messed around with.

Fantastic )))))) Please, continue

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I want no more skeuomorphs. Other than that, I don't know what I want. Just don't remove things that I still use like Dashboard.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
hmm

I really don't know what to expect this year other than maps and siri, hopefully Apple's full of surprises!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
OS XI? I don't know what they would do to OS X to make it OS XI, other than version 10.11.x

I'm surprised Apple doesn't call iOS, iOS X and then version 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc.

It would be nice if they brought the numbering together at some point since they are now scheduling yearly releases for both and seem to be bringing some features/functionality to be on par with one another.

The "X" stands for 10. 10.0 > 10.1 > 10.2 etc..

Calling IOS IOS X wouldn't make sense because IOS is at version 6.1

If anything it would be referred to as IOS VI.

OS X ( 10.0 ) is the 10th major version of the OS

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
No, it really wouldn't.

They're two different systems. Calling them "OS X 2015" and "iOS 2015" would be a Microsoft-level dumb move.

sujithgokul

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Microsoft will call it a service pack and give it for free whereas apple calls it a new os and sell it for $20

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Siri for Macs? If this rumor is true and if it's like Siri for iOS, I guess it will only work for people who purchase Macs at or after the release of 10.9.

In any case, I'm curious for what new features this may bring. I see Maps is rumored as well, but I can't imagine much use for this on a Mac when there are websites that can do the same thing, unless they add cellular or GPS to the MBA (probably not).

A maps app that works well and intuitively with the touchpad would be something I'd use. After iOS based maps, web based maps seem so onerous to use.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Bring back the color! Took Apple too long to realize their mistake by removing colored icons from iTunes... only to repeat that mistake in Lion and up. I hope 10.9 reverses that blunder.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I've lost so much enthusiasm for software releases from Apple recently. I hope OS X 10.9 and iOS 7 changes this though. :)

Yupp...

The Slackerman is making the rounds in Cupertino...

I hope he's going and we'll see some awesome new stuff in the near future...

I mean... all those software engineers MUST be working on something greater and more awesome, right?

Glassed Silver:mac

----------

Cougar, Liger, Tigon ... Voltron ;)

We should switch to Pokémon names... That way we'll never run out of names... :D:p

Glassed Silver:mac

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
THIS should be voted as comment of the year!
Haha, awesome! I was half expecting to be flamed and beaten up, lols.

----------

logging in just to up vote this! :cool:
Lol, you're awesome, Sir!

----------

Sir, you made my day !!! :cool: good luck with the next one!
Glad I could help! Was like having a ball and chain permanently attached to my ankles. Was worth escaping from! :p

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
No it wasn't.

I'm typing on my C2D Macbook Pro on Mountain Lion as we speak! I believe some Core Duos may have been cut, but the C2D definitely wasn't!
ahh I see they went a little looser w/ the requirements in the end and let the latest C2D models update, interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.