Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
What's the point of Siri on a Mac Pro and Mac Mini?

I'm not sure there is a point to Siri at all, it simply doesn't work. I'm sure there are some American friends out there who can get it to work for them, but I don't know anyone in the Uk who can get it to respond correctly. It's beyond dire.

It's nothing more than a useless gimmick at best. If it's included in the next release of OSX, it will be quickly disabled and never used that's for sure.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I'm not sure there is a point to Siri at all, it simply doesn't work. I'm sure there are some American friends out there who can get it to work for them, but I don't know anyone in the Uk who can get it to respond correctly. It's beyond dire.

It's nothing more than a useless gimmick at best. If it's included in the next release of OSX, it will be quickly disabled and never used that's for sure.

I would agree it is used as a selling point, but I do use Siri often for things. If it improves in certain areas, it will be even better.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
The "X" stands for 10. 10.0 > 10.1 > 10.2 etc..

Calling IOS IOS X wouldn't make sense because IOS is at version 6.1

If anything it would be referred to as IOS VI.

OS X ( 10.0 ) is the 10th major version of the OS

Using Roman numerals in this day and age is risky business for anybody.

I overheard some teens on the bus the other day talking about Grand Theft Auto "vee" and how it's going to be better than "eye vee"

As for iOS, I have friends who got confused when iOS 6 came out at the same time as the iPhone 5, they thought Apple were releasing two new phones.

Therefore it'd make sense for Apple to adjust the naming scheme for both and refrain from version numbers. As ridiculous as Androids naming schemes are, even the intellectually challenged out there seem to know that Jelly Bean is the newest version. OS X would probably benefit from the early MS system e.g. Apple OS 2013 or something.

Last edited:

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I would agree it is used as a selling point, but I do use Siri often for things. If it improves in certain areas, it will be even better.

i don't think that people are lying when they say they find Siri useful, but for my regional accent it simply doesn't work. I speak very clearly, and on occasion get mistaken for being English because I don't drop letters off words when speaking. For the life of me though I just can't get Siri to respond correctly, even for basic tasks like setting a reminder. That's without taking into account that it's next to useless if you're driving in the car (background noise - Wind/ road noise etc), and if you're not on WiFi it's typically server busy.

If it's in OSX, I hope to goodness they don't try to promote it as the next big thing for the OS, I fear they'll just fall flat on their faces if they do

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Using Roman numerals in this day and age is risky business for anybody.

I overheard some teens on the bus the other day talking about Grand Theft Auto "vee" and how it's going to be better than "eye vee"

As for iOS, I have friends who got confused when iOS 6 came out at the same time as the iPhone 5, they thought Apple were releasing two new phones.

Perhaps you can help educate your friends.

:)

You might also tell them the "X" not only stands for 10 it also stands for UniX.

OS 10 was the first Mac OS to be certified Unix.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Perhaps you can help educate your friends.

Oh I did but my point is that I shouldn't have to. When you try to think like someone less informed the iOS naming scheme doesn't make much sense. It wouldn't be such an issue if Apple didn't market both the OS and the phone so strongly and independently. They're not really two separate entities.

Apple put so much emphasis on numbers as selling points it just adds to the confusion for some.

Last edited:

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
10.9 Cat's Pajamas

Would love some more color to the OS. And ideally, a new file system to replace HFS+.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Siri and Maps as major new features?
Yay! Two things that don't work properly on iOS will surely help move OSX forward. :rolleyes:

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
June.

WWDC.

Can't wait.

What happened with ML? Didn't they post it on the web first? If 10.9 is this year, I'm impressed at least with the timing. Didn't think they'd keep up the annual releases. Having said that, I would like to see a genuinely "jaw dropping" feature....

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Some of those were me with my 10.9 Safari user agent. :p

----------

10.9 Cat's Pajamas

Would love some more color to the OS. And ideally, a new file system to replace HFS+.

I just want them to bring back the color on the sidebar in Finder. And the new default layout of it drives me nuts. Where's the home folder?!

----------

What's the point of Siri on a Mac Pro and Mac Mini?

To replace the current Mac speech recognition, which NEVER works... and that is hardly used for anything. Sometimes, you're not in the mood for typing or clicking something.

----------

Yay! Another half baked rushed OSX!

Hey apple, how about getting it right before launching it?

What was so half-baked about Mountain Lion and Lion? The removal of Save As is retarded, but that's been baked for a while, just by someone with horrible judgement.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Ok in my experience, apple maps hasn't been that bad, but I can't say its was good. That's why I'm taking a bit lightly

I actually agree. I live in a place where apple maps is actually more accurate than google maps. Google maps placed a Walmart across my street. It's farmland.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I actually agree. I live in a place where apple maps is actually more accurate than google maps. Google maps placed a Walmart across my street. It's farmland.

See what the construction crews are doing there 6 months from now ;)

:p

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Siri integration has some really cool potential.

Imagine saying, "wake up Siri" "launch safari".

Allowing her to access and automate the devices that share pretty well now would be nice.

However, for her to be seriously taken as an assistant I think home automation is key. Right now most of the home gadgets are expensive but imagine the possibly in a few years "Siri dim the lights", "Siri start the dishwasher/ dryer/ washer", "Siri make me coffee".

Those things would make her more useful than, "Siri find Olive Garden".

I could yell launch safari, or I can just click the safari icon. I mean if I had no hands, maybe.

----------

Bring back the color! Took Apple too long to realize their mistake by removing colored icons from iTunes... only to repeat that mistake in Lion and up. I hope 10.9 reverses that blunder.
Yeah Microsoft did the something with office 2013. It is so flat, it's impossible to tell between a message a button or anything else. Hate. Feel like I went colorblind.

----------

It's not just uk. I saw this one guy talking to Siri. After repeating his message 8 times, he eventually just typed it. I've disabled her the minute the jokes got old.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
AVFoundation is the new framework (10.7+). QTKit is dead.

QTkit is not dead. It is used for certain 32-bit apps that require carbon.

It will pop up using QT or iTunes etc.

And here's the latest framework from 10.8.3

Attachments

• qtkit.png
    qtkit.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 106

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Another vote for OpenGL 4.0+ support. The rest of the world is on v4.2 shortly 4.3. We only just got 3.2 with 10.7 after being on stuck at 2.1 forever .. sad. Here's hoping we get a close to current implementation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.