Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bruce Oksol

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Texas
Clouded Leopard

Cougar, Liger, Tigon ... Voltron ;)

Apple OS 10.9 -- Clouded Leopard (see below)
Apple OS 10.8 -- Mountain Lion -- July 25, 2012 -- 9th major release OS X
Apple OS 10.7 -- Lion -- July 20, 2011 -- 8th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.6 -- Snow Leopard -- June 8, 2009, 7th major release OS X
Apple OS 10.5 -- Leopard -- October 26, 2007, 6th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.4 -- Tiger -- April 29, 2005, 5th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.3 -- Panther -- October 24, 2003, 4th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.2 -- Jaguar -- August 23, 2002, 3rd major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.1 -- Puma -- September 25, 2001, 2nd major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.0 -- Cheetah -- March 24, 2001, 1st release of OS X

Other than the "Clouded Leopard" found in southeast Asia, there are few other distinctive big cat names available.

How appropriate. But is it a "leopard too far"?

By the way, my nine-year-old granddaughter knew of the clouded leopard; she said it was in the National Geographic Almanac.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If its a small upgrade like the progression from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and Lion to Mountain Lion, then it'll be the 3rd version of the 'Lion' OS's

Therefore, i predict

SNOW MOUNTAIN LION!

It will be... Apple said themselves, that they’re moving to small, incramental updates once a year :(

----------

Apple OS 10.9 -- Clouded Leopard (see below)
Apple OS 10.8 -- Mountain Lion -- July 25, 2012 -- 9th major release OS X
Apple OS 10.7 -- Lion -- July 20, 2011 -- 8th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.6 -- Snow Leopard -- June 8, 2009, 7th major release OS X
Apple OS 10.5 -- Leopard -- October 26, 2007, 6th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.4 -- Tiger -- April 29, 2005, 5th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.3 -- Panther -- October 24, 2003, 4th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.2 -- Jaguar -- August 23, 2002, 3rd major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.1 -- Puma -- September 25, 2001, 2nd major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.0 -- Cheetah -- March 24, 2001, 1st release of OS X

Other than the "Clouded Leopard" found in southeast Asia, there are few other distinctive big cat names available.

How appropriate. But is it a "leopard too far"?

By the way, my nine-year-old granddaughter knew of the clouded leopard; she said it was in the National Geographic Almanac.

Problem with the clouded Leopard, is that they’ve already done the leopards... It might be a bit funny if they go: Leopard, snow leopard, lion, mountain lion, clouded leopard. If they were going to do a clouded leopard they should’ve done it after SL.

jackfungi

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
Have you been living under a rock?

You are aware that there is a beautiful Google Maps app written in native Cocoa for the iPhone, right?

It's just too weird for a computer to have a maps app.

What apple should really do is just put google maps back into iOS. If they can't donthat, then at least they should open up a web version of apple maps and something like Google Map Maker. I think that they'd hopefully be at least decent.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Using Roman numerals in this day and age is risky business for anybody.

I overheard some teens on the bus the other day talking about Grand Theft Auto "vee" and how it's going to be better than "eye vee"

They don’t seem to teach roman numerals in school anymore (if they ever did) - I only learned because my mum taught me when I was 6 :)

Cancelled
Oct 19, 2011
I want 10.9 to be named Lynx.
And some nice main color again, not that ugly new blue from 10.7/10.8. And actually intelligent features again like 10.6 brought. Throw away the useless Launchpad, throw away the oh-so-natural scrolling (it only feels natural when you do it on a touchscreen), throw away the crippled Exposé and Spaces (now Mission Control) and refine the 10.6 version of it. Give me some colors again for the mini-icons in the Finder sidebar. Color the QuickLook window neutral grey / transparent black again.

That's my wishlist.
An OS X useful for professionals and that doesn't suck like the last 2 releases.

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
I cant believe they are going to milk X right up to .9

Its getting ridiculous when they have to come up with sub-cat names because the OS has so few changes.

They should skip .9 and just do XI. They should have skipped .8 too

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
C2D was cut from last upgrade w/ Mountain Lion though for most C2D owners ;).

Really? My C2D MBP got ML... But I guess there’s no chance of 10.9 then :(

...Oh well, it’s not like the last two OS’s have brought anything decent to the table. TBH I’d be fine on SL still.

----------

I cant believe they are going to milk X right up to .9

Its getting ridiculous when they have to come up with sub-cat names because the OS has so few changes.

They should skip .9 and just do XI. They should have skipped .8 too

And .7

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I want 10.9 to be named Lynx.
And some nice main color again, not that ugly new blue from 10.7/10.8. And actually intelligent features again like 10.6 brought. Throw away the useless Launchpad, throw away the oh-so-natural scrolling (it only feels natural when you do it on a touchscreen), throw away the crippled Exposé and Spaces (now Mission Control) and refine the 10.6 version of it. Give me some colors again for the mini-icons in the Finder sidebar. Color the QuickLook window neutral grey / transparent black again.

That's my wishlist.
An OS X useful for professionals and that doesn't suck like the last 2 releases.

so basically you want 10.6?

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
How about something of substance like a new file system/volume manager to replace HFS. Failing that, then don't break my existing ZFS on Mac OS.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I was unaware that Clouded Leopard was real. This could be cool, as "clouded" matches really well the cloud thing going on the internet right now. Moreover, the Leopard is welcome, as Snow Leopard is consired the best OS X version, hoepfully thei will bring back the classical Spaces and the classical Exposé, along with Rosetta.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I think they'll we'll see more Helvetica and less Lucida. I'm not counting on it being fully replaced, but maybe.

If this is a tick in their cycle akin to Leopard and Lion, I'm anticipating slight changes in the look of things.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL

Does anyone remember when new OSX releases were really exciting??

Now it's the same thing with a few iOS features thrown in. The main problem with that is that iOS has stagnated for years.

:rolleyes:

I'm coming back to this comment when the preview is released to either say "You were right" or "Wow, were you wrong"

Also...I'm not expecting any major changes until Apple unifies iOS with OSX (it's bound to happen at some point). Presumably in 11.0

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
For those of you who were wondering, I'm pretty sure those distinct peaks in the visit numbers at weekdays, for the peaks, and weekends for the dips.

----------

I'm not expecting any major changes until Apple unifies iOS with OSX (it's bound to happen at some point). Presumably in 11.0

I imagine that this will happen fairly soon actually. I think that the release of Windows 8 and Ubuntu Phone OS Shows an increasing trend towards universal operating systems. I just hope Apple does it better than Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.