Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
I didn't know about this... my daughter just shown me earlier today as it seems it's the new rage at school: getting someone's phone out of a bag and check out who (s)he calls. Errrf.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I will never understand why you people insist on trolling this site...

Technically a Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, AppleTV, as well as many other Apple products are not iDevices. If he is using one of them then he is not trolling the site.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Well if you send a blank email to Steve Jobs and wait for a response, your phone then locks, and shows a picture of him laughing at you on the lock screen. :eek:

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
the person who steals your phone :p

that's nothing compared to those devs trying to find loopholes in the Os to inject the jailbreak

I'd say sifting through code is an easier job, this is dumb luck.

----------

FIX the No-Wifi issue, that's what they need to do. (iPhone 4s) :mad::mad:

Is your WiFi greed out? If so, that's unfixable -- your firmware is broekkkk. Take it to Apple

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Well, You are driving along the highway, and there comes a truck... He suddenly moves to the other side of the road, and you have to move really fast.. and this results in you crashing in the woods besides the road.
1 tree, just nailed you.. and the tree breaks and wood flies all over the place. 1 piece of wood went straight true your radiator.. and somehow it finds his way to your fan-grills in the car... The car was still running, and due to some weird nature ****.. the piece of wood shoots at you because to the fans where still running.. The wood shoots right in your thumb, and severs it to the bone. Your thumb is hanging by only a small piece of skin... Your other arm is jammed between the door and the steering wheel so you can't use it.. All your other fingers burned away, but the fire is out now.. You look at your thumb and notice that if you move the thumb.. bit by bit it tears more away from your hand.. So you make a quick calculation, on how many moves you can make before the whole finger is severed.

You notice that you can only do 7 moves... before it's over...
While laying there you obviously decide to use the emergency call..

1 - power on the phone
2 - slide to unlock
3 - press emergency
4 - press 9
5 - press 1
6 - press 1
7 - press call...

See... I can't imagine how you missed this...

Um, or...

There's an emergency
You're unconscious
Yours is the only working phone nearby

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Lol.. I thought this was going to be a quick. 2 step process....

You really.. really.. really had to be lucky to find this out.... Either lucky.. Or completely bored.. I really dont know what to say... Good Job i guess?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Oh, please... All that just to bypass a lock screen. Who wastes their time figuring out this stuff?

1. Lock device
1.1. Put your right foot in
2. Slide to unlock
2.1. Put your right foot out
3. Tap emergency call
3.1. Put your right foot in.
4. Hold sleep button until the power down prompt shows. Click cancel, you will notice the status bar turn blue. Type in 911 or your emergency number and click call then cancel it asap so the call dosen't go through.
4.1. Shake it all about
5. Lock your device with the sleep button then turn it on using the home button.
5.1. Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around.
6. Slide to unlock then hold the sleep button and in 3 seconds tap emergency call. This will spazz out the phone and cause it to open.
That's what its all about.

[Make sure to continuously hold the sleep button until you are done looking in the phone]

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I'm unable to replicate this with my AT&T iPhone 5.

YMMV.

Why the hell does anyone need to try this? It's not like you're unlocking new features. I trust that it works and don't feel the need to run the risk of calling 911 for nothing. What are you people, on dope?

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
What would be worse, the exploit contained to the hacking community, you lose your phone then get a massive phone bill and data loss

OR

that you are aware of the issue and can take preventative action.

MR reported on a pretty major security flaw.

They have also updated the main article with a suggested fix. To be honest, I didn't realised people still used 4-digit PIN codes

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I wonder if they :apple: will ever quietly fix this bug?

I guess the jailbreakers have another reason to install an alternate lock screen package.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
It's not a bug, it's a feature. Authorities will be dispatched to your stolen iPhone's location when the would-be hacker-thief botches his or her attempt and places an emergency call.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Wow, something this complex is reported on all tech sites as front page news? I think this bug will not even affect 5 out of the 500 Million iOS users. I remember a few months back there was a website that whenever a Samsung Galaxy branded phone went on it, it automatically got a virus that bricked the phone. Talk about flaw. BTW, most of those phones did not get receive the patch to correct this vital issue. BTW the face unlock feature is the worst, you can put their picture in front of the camera to unlock the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.