Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Right! Because the person who steals my phone is dying to get access to my photos and numbers.... rather then restoring to the manufactures and get over with it.

my friends steal my phone all the time to post sth stupid on fb, call someone random in my contacts in the middle of the noght or to call someone on the other side of the globe. this is gonna be a like an open invitation for them. glad i was able to jb again to use applocker

flaw is a flaw. no matter how dumb the bug may seem

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No one has to figure it out. Macrumors has provided would-be thieves with a solution to unlocking the screens of the phones they've stolen. Well done, Macrumors!!

MacRumors should've exercised some discretion and not posted this.

----------

my friends steal my phone all the time to post sth stupid on fb, call someone random in my contacts in the middle of the noght or to call someone on the other side of the globe. this is gonna be a like an open invitation for them. glad i was able to jb again to use applocker

flaw is a flaw. no matter how dumb the bug may seem

You need new friends.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I don't get that. If I have a real emergency, I can just enter my passcode and use the Phone app. If I don't have time to enter my passcode, then I don't have time to use the emergency button and dial 911 anyway.

That's assuming it's you who is doing the dialing. What if you get knocked unconscious, and someone finds you? Not having this button there for them to call for help would get you in trouble.

I know, 99% they have their own cell phone, but one of the biggest problems of smartphones is battery life, what if their own phone is dead?

There are many more scenarios were not having this button could mean serious trouble

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
So to break into someone's contact list, there is a good chance of actually calling the police on yourself. What a nice antitheft feature!

Rather than fix this bug completely, Apple needs to detect it and push that 911 call, take repeated picture with the cameras with automatic upload and alert the Find My iPhone user.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
Do not try this trick. After I did the 911 hang up, my cabin is getting shot up and I think they might set it on fire soon. Thanks Mac Rumors.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
You know, if people spent that much time trying to figure other stuff out, we'd have a cure to cancer, world hunger would be eradicated, and world peace would flood the lands.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

I would keep the phone far far away from that friend.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
How do people figure this stuff out?! That's not exactly a regular operating procedure required to find the bug :confused::eek:

ryanonsrc

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
This is how we improve product security

<rant>
As a (overwhelmed) single father of two, I despise people that spend time trying to figure stuff like this. Unless this was found by error...

But I still despise all the virgin nerds that waste time, like figuring out new iphone from strings in betas...
</rant>

Actually, you should reconsider your thinking. This is how companies improve their product's security (whether it be software or consumer electronics). These are the same type of people that often find themselves working as a security-experts, tasked with uncovering security vulnerabilities.

It is a common misconception that people who engage in these activities and publish their results are supporting criminal activity. Indeed, it is likely that some of these people indeed have malicious intent, but I would argue the vast majority of them simply enjoy it as a problem-solving exercise and by posting these tutorials on YouTube they are actually doing a great service for the community, by allowing the responsible party to start patching these issues more quickly.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Why the hell does anyone need to try this? It's not like you're unlocking new features. I trust that it works and don't feel the need to run the risk of calling 911 for nothing. What are you people, on dope?

No, I'm challenging the notion that this is an easy hack and any iPhone is susceptible. Someone has to challenge the facts, otherwise MR's front page will parrot the same linkbait the other tech sites put out.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Big deal. Reminds me of those that waste their time jailbreaking just to add some crappy app.

Waste time? Takes less then 5 minutes to jailbreak lol

----------

No, I'm challenging the notion that this is an easy hack and any iPhone is susceptible. Someone has to challenge the facts, otherwise MR's front page will parrot the same linkbait the other tech sites put out.

Apple will release a fix to this along with the Microsoft exchange bug fix in less then a week, not that bug of a deal

autrefois

macrumors 65816
I don't know if I can blame this on lack of quality control. I still contend Apple has been skimping on that department over the past couple of years. Still, this is yet another serious bug to come out

One of my first thoughts was, "For once, I don't blame Apple for this slipping through." Given the number of (sometimes unusual) steps that it takes for this to happen, which have to be done in a certain order, I don't think you could reasonably expect it to be discovered in testing. It's just a fluke, albeit a reproducible one.

Now the Podcasts app, on the other hand...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.