Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
What do you think about travelling from LA to NY in 45 minutes? Can it be done? I'm skeptical, but never bet against the real life Tony Stark.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/07/elon-musk-hyperloop/

Musk described the Hyperloop as “a cross between a Concorde, a railgun and an air hockey table,” at the AllThingsD D11 conference earlier this year. And in an interview with PandoDaily, Musk said the Hyperloop could form a fifth tent pole of modern transportation, joining cars, planes, trains, and boats, adding that because of its low energy usage and ability to get juice from solar power, it could generate more power than it would consume. But up until now, he hasn’t elaborated on his involvement.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a cool idea but I do question the feasibility and the cost of such travel

With web conferencing the need for such travel may not be all that needed.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
While i've learned never to say never (assuming the idea does not violate the laws of physics as we know them)...so let's say it seems to me to be highly unlikely.

But...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm skeptical but I long for the day I can get from one coast to the next quicker. Right now, travel to and from CA is long. Usually, travel time is about 7-8 hours if I am lucky. With time changes going to CA is great, coming home, not so much. I venture to guess if there were some way to get to and from CA in just a couple of hours (even 4) I would take the trip more often.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That would be really neat. I think technologically, its possible. The only reasons why it couldn't be done would be funding and property right-of-ways along its intended construction paths.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
That would be really neat. I think technologically, its possible. The only reasons why it couldn't be done would be funding and property right-of-ways along its intended construction paths.

Funding and right of way are likely harder to achieve than the technology.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Concept is really neat and if the technology is not there now, I would bet that it wouldn't be far away. But the logistics of putting this into reality would be a massive undertaking. That would be just for US alone, not even considering what world wide would take. On top of the funding that would be required.

None the less would be some real state of the art stuff.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Concept is really neat and if the technology is not there now, I would bet that it wouldn't be far away. But the logistics of putting this into reality would be a massive undertaking. That would be just for US alone, not even considering what world wide would take. On top of the funding that would be required.

None the less would be some real state of the art stuff.

Considering the obstacles I had to overcome last year in building several radio towers, the politics and property rights to achieve this, in the United States, would be a monumental task. It may be easier to achieve in other countries where they have less regulations on building projects.

If it were like the days of the trans-continental railroad, this wouldn't be too difficult to achieve!

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
How much would they charge us, though. :eek: And how does a capsule make bends and turns?

Edit: Guess that question has already surfaced...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Technically feasible, I believe. One of the great SF writers from, iirc, the 1960s had proposed essentially the same thing.

However, hugely expensive. And I believe Musk has not included any failsafes into his capsules. Or accounted for security precautions needed.

He wants to put people into capsule surrounded by a vacuum. Any damage or failure to the capsule will cause an explosive decompression, so you need backup air in the capsule - enough air to keep people going until a rescue team can arrive. Any damage to the tube magnets will strand the capsules. Some system will have to be put into place to get to stranded capsules, and to get to them relatively quickly.

The system wil have to have the ability have the air reintroduced and subsequently removed for repairs, rescues, etc. Probably on a section by section basis.

A very small rupture in the tube, caused by natural forces or human (accidentally or intentionally) would knockout the whole tube system, unless you can divert traffic around the problem area.

I can think of many other things that Musk has not accounted for in their promo piece. So, while it may be technically possible... I doubt anyone has the money to actually build it. And if they do I think it will be too expensive to run, and prone to breakdowns.

just my 2 cents worth

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
how much they gonna charge for checking your suitcase? :D

even if the technology is workable, the cost of building it would prevent it from ever happening

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Future complaints ........

I can't believe this $!@#!! A 10 minute delay? Really? I need to be compensated for this. It should not take me over 55 min to reach the other side of the country. I swear, travel is getting worse by the years.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
How much would they charge us, though. :eek: And how does a capsule make bends and turns?

Edit: Guess that question has already surfaced...

I think it would be less than the cost of a plane ticket.

how much they gonna charge for checking your suitcase? :D

even if the technology is workable, the cost of building it would prevent it from ever happening

The estimated cost is $6 billion, 1/10 of the cost of California's proposed high-speed rail system.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
I think it would be less than the cost of a plane ticket.

The estimated cost is $6 billion, 1/10 of the cost of California's proposed high-speed rail system.

Riiiight, these things are never underestimated. It would cost a few billions just to acquire the property rights along the route, never mind designing and building the thing.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Its a cool idea but I do question the feasibility and the cost of such travel

With web conferencing the need for such travel may not be all that needed.

Physically face to face is always the best. And for seeing relatives like thanksgiving makes traveling a breeze.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
6 billion estimated cost!? AHAHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!! Add a quite a few zeros onto the 6 for the true cost of such a project.

I do think think this kind of thing will be possible in the future but I cannot see how its economically viable any time soon. Even just normal mag lev trains are hugely expensive at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.