Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
I did tap Add New Keyboard... and it only has Suggested Keyboards (English) and Other iPhone Keyboards.

Update: I've purchased Swype Keyboard and it shows up as a Third-Party Keyboard but I still don't see SwiftKey

Hmm, that's weird. Maybe delete the app and reinstall.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
iOS 8 Custom Keyboard Megathread

By the way, not having the dictation button on Swype is no big deal. It literally takes one button to switch back to the default keyboard and then you have dictation again. One more button and you are back to Swype. Quick and simple. All the concern over custom keyboards not having the button turned out to be much adoo about nothing!

P.S. LOVE finally having Swype on iOS. Works GREAT!

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I did tap Add New Keyboard... and it only has Suggested Keyboards (English) and Other iPhone Keyboards.

Update: I've purchased Swype Keyboard and it shows up as a Third-Party Keyboard but I still don't see SwiftKey

Did you launch the swift key app first?

I discovered that when I quit the swype app via the multitasking manager, the keyboard disappeared from my settings. So I guess you have to reconfigure your custom keyboard in settings any time you close the app or reboot?

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I'm having major oissues. I downloaded and added Swiftkey as a keyboard, but it rarely shows up and usually it just reverts to the default iOS keyboard. i am just going to turn it off for now I guess until it is fixed.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Does anyone know if Swype has enable full access on by default, like swiftkey asks for you to enable it...but swype doesn't have the option, does that make swype inherently safer than swiftkey because without full access they are sandboxed and can't access what you type, per se...(watching south park lol)

But seriously, I take security and privacy very seriously and don't want a keyboard to be the problem...so I am hoping Swype is sandboxed, doesn't have 3rd party "enable full access" enabled, so if anyone knows, please reply.

Thanks

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Many many people are mistaking Swype for Swiftkey I'm pretty sure.

True, SwiftKey doesn't have swiping on the iPad (yet). Swype does.
I used both when I was on Android. Mainly Swype because it supported Chinese input. Alas, this version on iOS doesn't yet.

dereknas

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2014
I've un-install and install back Swiftkey and still unable to get the Swipe features even though it is enabled in the settings. Installed on 5S btw, is there any solution to this?

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
As someone who has used Android and third party keyboards on Android for years, I am extremely disappointed in SwiftKey for iOS compared to SwiftKey for Android. Are others who used third party keyboards on Android also disappointed in the iOS versions?

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
As someone who has used Android and third party keyboards on Android for years, I am extremely disappointed in SwiftKey for iOS compared to SwiftKey for Android. Are others who used third party keyboards on Android also disappointed in the iOS versions?

Please go into detail about what you don't like

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
iOS 8 Custom Keyboard Megathread

Even with swype or swiftly as the only keyboard I still can't get it to work in messages or notes or password fields. Always stock keyboard.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
And again: I don't have enought posts so I cannot adjust the wiki TS. But some other iOS8 keyboards which are planned are:

Swipe/swype keyboard:
- Path Input | app (non iOS8 for now) | Twitter account

Other:
- MyScript Stack keyboard / MyScript Stack app free
- One Keyboard
- Popkey
- Gifmojis
- Emojiyo

-----------------------------------------
Also I think it would be good to add all App Store links in the TS so if someone could do that it would be great. See below my list which can be copied in the TS.

Swype keyboards with App available:
Swype app 0,99 dollar | no Dutch language support (yet)
Swiftkey app free, in-app purchases | no Dutch language support (yet)
Touchpal X free | no Dutch language support (yet)
Path Input Pro app (still iOS7 app, soon iOS8 app) 1,99 dollar (temporary price) | Dutch language support in iOS7 version

Unfortunately only Path Input Pro has Dutch language support as far as Swype keyboards concerned, however doesn't have a iOS8 keyboard yet, it's still a iOS7 app.

Other keyboards with App available:
TextExpander 3 4,99 dollar | no Dutch language support (yet)
Minuum 1,99 dollar | no Dutch language support (yet)
Fleksy 0,99 dollar | Dutch language support
KuaiBoard (formerly QuickBoard) 1,99 dollar | no Dutch language support (yet)
MyScript Stack keyboard / MyScript Stack app free | Dutch language support

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
These swipe based keyboards are totally useless if the language isn't supported.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
I'm not sure if its just me but when using swiftkey on my iPhone 5 i don't get the tactile feedback sound when typing. Sound only comes up when using default keyboard.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Does Swype require "full access" like SwiftKey?

If no, I will buy. If yes, I won't.

Justjay27

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2012
Has anyone noticed that when you're using a 3rd Party Keyboard in the messaging app when the keyboard pops up it doesn't push the message up so you can see the most recent text?

Also, Sometimes when i type with Swiftkey or Swype the words aren't showing up in the text field...

Anyone Else Having These Problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.