Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilly93

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
Parents ordered MBA 11" i5/128Gb/8Gb from Apple UK certified refurb store after waiting 2 months for 8Gb models to resurface on the site. Machine arrived and they've been given a i7 instead of an i5. The box says i5. The machine says i7. The serial number on the box and in the machine are identical. So £250 saving over RRP of same model from Apple, new (they paid £699).

Similar experience here. Ordered the same spec MBA as your parents from the UK refurbished store (i5/128GB/8GB). Opened it yesterday to find that I had actually been sent an i7. Quite a nice surprise!

tmartin89

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
Got a 13 inch for Christmas and haven't even opened the box yet! Excited to get started as it's my first MacBook!

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Just picked up my first macbook air,( base model from best buy 13 inch) and also first mac in 4 years.

coming from just using a surface tablet, previously owned maxed out 15'' 2011 macbook pro. Hope this will be fine for me.

AirJordanFan93

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
Ordered my first MBA on New Years Eve. 13' with 256GB and 8GB RAM. First ever Mac. Scheduled to arrive on Thursday and I honestly can't wait to finally use it.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
hi

just pulled the trigger on a refurbished MBA 11" base (i5, 4gb ram, 128gb)
download.png

glad to be back to mac, after over a years absence

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Just bought a used 2013 13-inch base model MacBook air off Craigslist for my wife. It is in flawless condition and checked with Apple and it isn't stolen. Only paid $450! Pretty stoked she loves it will be perfect for her she only does light work and watches movies.

gottria

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Buying used MBA 11

Looking at getting a used/older Mac for work as a field tech for copiers. Fell in love with the MBP 13 retina but out of my price range. Found a 11" MBA i5 8gb 256gb SSD for $600 but need to buy charger, it died on him so he bought a new 13". It'a a 2012 so it has the older Ivy Bridge technology instead of Haswell, not sure if that is a big difference or not.

Also found an 11" 2013 i7, 8gb, 256gb ssd for $720. This one has the haswell chipset.

Last edited:

mattdocs12345

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
Got my new macbook air just in time

I made several posts in here back in January how I was disappointed with Thinkpads and Lenovo after being their user for a decade. My first laptop was a toshiba (which broke after 1 year) and after that every single one was a thinkpad for a total of 5 thinkpads. Some older models were given to family members and worked for a decade. The most recent ones made by lenovo started breaking down after 1.5 years, which is a shame for a company like that.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...user-security-installing-adware-pcs-superfish

Here is news, now Lenovo started installing adware on their laptops....

Im glad I got new macbook air 2014 last month. No crapware, no adware, solid OS.

kthnx

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
Hello Everyone. Longtime board creeper, first time poster here. Was wondering if I could get your 2 cents.

I am looking to get a refurbished Macbook air (or maybe a refurb macbook pro retina), but have been holding off with all the macbook air and pro update rumours. My partner's laptop is about to bite the dust, so it is definitely a needed purchase.

My question, if anyone has ever tracked this: when a new model comes out, how much do the previous refurb models typical drop by? I will not be buying the new laptops once they are updated, but am assuming I will get a price break on the refurbs that are currently in the store. If it's only $30-$50, screw it, I will buy now. I am unsure though

Thoughts? Any advice from people who have been in my situation would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

malleable

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
Just Ordered My First Macbook

First-time posting and first-time Apple customer.
Just ordered a 13" Macbook Air with 256 SSD and 8GB RAM after two months of waiting for a refresh/upgrade that never came. Hoping the refresh/upgrade doesn't come next week.

richardjhurst

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
Waited for the supposed refresh announcement yesterday and it came and went so fed up with waiting and gone for a 2014 11", i5, 8gb ram and 128GB storage for £699. Got myself a leather Vaja case as well.

UPDATE

Arrived today and they have sent me the faster 1.7ghz i7 processor version so very pleased with that as i only ordered the 1.4ghz i5

Last edited:

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just picked up my Macbook Air 11 base model last night at Best Buy. I had them match the B&H Photo price. I was debating on getting a 2nd Mac Mini, but I have always wanted a 11" MBA so I decided to get one.

I too was waiting for an update - but realized that for $799 this MBA is going to do everything I need it to for a long time. I'm not really concerned with what an update will bring and really like this MBA. This model has been out for some time now, so I feel that it is pretty bullet proof and should give me good service for a long time.

I'm also amazed at how well 4GB RAM works on OS X - even when pushing it. My Mac Mini has 16GB RAM and I wasn't sure how well 4GB was going to do for my usage (not running VMs on the MBA) - and I am very impressed.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Waited for the supposed refresh announcement yesterday and it came and went so fed up with waiting and gone for a 2014 11", i5, 8gb ram and 128GB storage for £699. Got myself a leather Vaja case as well.

UPDATE

Arrived today and they have sent me the faster 1.7ghz i7 processor version so very pleased with that as i only ordered the 1.4ghz i5

Where did you get yours from? I bought th base model today from PC world. Was expecting it to be £749 but was £699 at the till. It had been discounted.

h1T0w4

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2015
Apple MacBook Air 13", 1,4 GHz, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, 899€

Hi, I bought my MBA two weeks ago and I want to share my thoughts with you guys. This is my first Apple device and let me say I am very pleased with it...

My situation two weeks ago was to choose between a MS Surface Pro 3, i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM incl. Type Cover 3 for 890€ and the MBA13 with the specs on the title above for 899€. For my masters thesis I needed a reliable machine with a flawless usability. At the end I decided for the MBA for these reasons:

Apple MacBook Air 13", 1,4 GHz, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, 899€:

+ Frustration-free trackpad & reliable keyboard
+ Sophisticated design, steadily improved since 2011
+ Double the RAM then SP3 for same costs
+ Benchmark battery-life
+ BT/ WLAN Controller on separate chips
+ Repairable (and theoretically upgradable)
- Inferior display
- Different OS

MS Surface Pro 3, i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, incl. TC3, 890€:

+ 3:2 ratio (great improvement over SP1)
+ Beautiful 12" screen
+ Already used to Win8.1 OS
- Marvell Avatar Controller causes WiFi Issues (since SP1!!)
- 12" form factor too small for work, too large for tablet-use
- TC3 Trackpad larger than TC1/2 but still too small
- No way to repair in case any component fails

What I really like about the MBA is the extra space for my hand heels (compared to other 16:9 machines and even the rMBP). I am 6'8" and have rather large hands that always sat on the edge of my laptops.

At the end I didn't really decide for the MBA but rather decided against the SP3. I fell it's just the little things that Apple takes more care of than MS does, ensuring you have a solid machine that is reliable in it's core tasks (such as input peripherals, connectivity and battery).

I hope you all enjoyed my first post in this forum and maybe my little personal review will help someone faced with a similar decision as I was two weeks ago.

PS: I don't think an updated processor generation (Broadwell) will change much since the difference in performance will be very minor and the lower TDP will also make only for a modest plus in battery life.

Clumber

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Sheffield UK
First post :)

I've recently acquired a 2013 Macbook Air, quite a basic model I believe (I don't know what the line-up back then was) with i5 at 1.8Mhz and 4 gig of RAM. Despite this it is by far my favourite piece of kit at the moment.

As a (rather fanatic) gamer, I always avoided Mac in the past, but a family member is well into Mac and gifted me this after upgrading to the latest rMBP and several years ago gave me an iPad 2 which got me into the Mac-ecosystem.

As I enjoy this machine so much I am now considering getting an iMac but I will have to save up the pennies first!

Yamrider

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
U.K
Placed my order - at last !!

I've waited patiently for the 'Spring forward' Apple event which took place earlier on this eve. I have no interest in the iWatch but was keen to see the new Retina macbook revealed.

It looks fantastic and I can see me being an owner in a few years after they have been debugged.

I have basic needs for my laptop so have just placed my order for a re-furbed 2014 model 11.6" macbook air, 4gig ram & 128 ssd. This configuation was advertised prior to the Apple event for £639 so was happy to only have to pay £579. It'll be here on Wed. I am looking forward to following the reports/reviews/praise & criticism of the new Macbook though (probably on my new 11" air!!)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I've waited patiently for the 'Spring forward' Apple event which took place earlier on this eve. I have no interest in the iWatch but was keen to see the new Retina macbook revealed.

It looks fantastic and I can see me being an owner in a few years after they have been debugged.

I have basic needs for my laptop so have just placed my order for a re-furbed 2014 model 11.6" macbook air, 4gig ram & 128 ssd. This configuation was advertised prior to the Apple event for £639 so was happy to only have to pay £579. It'll be here on Wed. I am looking forward to following the reports/reviews/praise & criticism of the new Macbook though (probably on my new 11" air!!)

I bought the same model as you just under 2 weeks ago, although it wasn't a refurb. Cost me £699. I am also a very basic user. I'm not even sure I needed a laptop as I mostly use my iPad or iPhone and my old windows laptop was collecting dust. So this model is more than enough for me.

Izsec

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
Buyers remorse....

On Thursday night last week I ordered a 11" MBA loaded refurb. Saw the announcement yesterday and my 11" arrived today. Took it directly to the Apple store got a store credit and ordered the updated 11" I7. Supposed to arrive next week. Will give a report on any performance improvements I see. I have a 15" MBPR and I do a lot of video production work so waiting for a little better CPU and graphics made sense on the new MBA purchase. Trying to scale down what I need to carry around on a daily basis.

Chopmunky

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2015
After discovering that my 2008 MBP wasn't a fan of having Prosecco tipped on it and, subsequently, the motherboard dying, I took the plunge and ordered a 13" MBA after the Spring Forward spec bump (which was waiting for after doing my research on here) - it arrives towards the back end of next week and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a new bit of kit. Looking less forward to restoring from my Time Capsule as doubtlessly it'll take an absolute age to do....!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.