Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Being that this is my very first time to own an iPhone, I amazed a little more every single day at what this thing can do.

Being such an iPhone newb, what are some of the things you found out that you didnt even know the iPhone did??

I had no clue that you could save pics off the internet by holding down the image for a couple seconds. There are a ton more but I want to know them ALL!!! lol :D

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Being that this is my very first time to own an iPhone, I amazed a little more every single day at what this thing can do.

Being such an iPhone newb, what are some of the things you found out that you didnt even know the iPhone did??

I had no clue that you could save pics off the internet by holding down the image for a couple seconds. There are a ton more but I want to know them ALL!!! lol :D

Damn, I didn't know it could do that. Is that a new 2.0 feature?

Here's one:
I didn't know (until a few days ago) that you could take a screen shot of whatever is on your screen by holding down the power button and the home button for a couple of seconds until there is a white flash.

Carbonic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I didnt know you could watch embedded youtube videos in Safari.
Learned this today.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
- If you put your thumb and index finger together and spread them apart on the screen, or have them spread apart and pull in, you can zoom out in either safari, maps, photos.
- If you hold down an image with a finger on safari or in an email for a few seconds, you now have the option to save the photo to your camera roll. (new with 2.0)
- If you rotate the calculator sideways, it is now scientific (new with 2.0)
- If you tap the top of the phone by the clock, it will bring you to the top of the page, say if you are in a pretty long website on safari.
- You pretty much have tabs in safari. Just hit the button with the 2 squares.
- Mass email delete / move.
- Double tap in Safari / Maps to zoom in.
- Single tap in Safari to center the page.
- Put 2 fingers on the Maps screen, and it zooms out.
- You can watch .mov movies, or listen to .mp3's, .m4a's, directly in Safari.
- If you have MobileMe (http://www.me.com) you can get Push email, which emails are sent to your phone right when they are sent out.
- You have accelerator that helps you use the phone, say you want the phone in landscape, you just tilt it and it goes in landscape. You can also control games like this.
- On the iPhone headphones, the little stub thing on the right ear side wire is a microphone. If you pinch it once, it pauses a song / answers a call, and if you double pinch it, it fast forwards songs.
- You can have complete access of your phone while on a call. As long as you have WiFi on, or 3G. Just hit the home button while you're on a call.
- Double tapping the home button when you are using your phone brings you to your favorites on your call list.
- When you are listening to your music, but you are at the home screen, if you double tap the home button, you can now control iTunes in a little popup.
- If you double tap the home button on the slide to unlock screen, you can control iTunes from there.
- if you have a MobileMe account, you can upload your photos from the phone directly to the internet.
- You have parental controls.
- Use a passcode lock, so you have to enter a code every time you use the phone. If your phone gets stolen, no one can get in your phone.

- I better get a thanks for typing all these :D

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA

wow.... thanx for this one haha, i just found that out about saving pics from the internet :p

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
- On the iPhone headphones, the little stub thing on the right ear side wire is a microphone. If you pinch it once, it pauses a song / answers a call, and if you double pinch it, it fast forwards songs.

wow... gonna test this now, awesome if it works haha ;)

kudos to you buddy :p

someguy7014

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Quote:

Here's one:
I didn't know (until a few days ago) that you could take a screen shot of whatever is on your screen by holding down the power button and the home button for a couple of seconds until there is a white flash.

is this a 2.0 feature? If not, i cant seem to get it working. Is there a trick? When i hold both home and on/off it asks me if i want to shutdown the phone

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Quote:

Here's one:

is this a 2.0 feature? If not, i cant seem to get it working. Is there a trick? When i hold both home and on/off it asks me if i want to shutdown the phone

It is a 2.0 feature, and it should be an instant flash.

Aiphanes

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
South Texas
Charge on iPod Touch
Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support
Support for Apple's new MobileMe service
Push email
Push contacts
Push calendar
Global Address List
Certificates and Identities
WPA2/802.1x
Enforced security policies
Extra keyboard languages including Chinese and Korean
Cisco IPsec VPN support
Device configuration
Remote wipe
Ability to view PowerPoint attachments
Ability to view iWork attachments, including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote[7]
Mass email delete
Mass email move
Bonjour service discovery protocol
Support for SVG
Parental controls
Ability to search contacts
App Store (To manage third-party applications)
New "Calendar" menu in "Settings"[8]
Updated calculator with extra features in portrait mode, a scientific calculator in landscape mode and an updated icon.
Updated iTunes with a new icon and reordered category icons within iTunes application.
Ability to save or open images from websites in Safari[9]
Support for Traditional and Simplified Chinese handwriting recognition
Geotagging[10]
Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Polish, Korean, and Brazilian Portuguese language interface in iPhone, previously these languages were only in the iPod touch since 1.1.1[11]
YouTube plugin for MobileSafari.app[12]
Ability to view music videos in Portrait or Landscape view
Ability to take screen-capture by holding Home and clicking Sleep/Wake

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO

Here's one:
that's just wrong...lol

Yes, there's a trick:

Hold down the Home button first, then "snap" the on/off button. You'll see a white flash and the screen is saved to Photos.
now this one is right, great little feature..the other way reboots your fon

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I found this out from an earlier 2.0 beta, but with the keyboard up, you can press and hold on keys and it will pop up alternate forms of letters for other languages. For the period it will also pop up .com, .net, .org, etc. This applies to the .com button as well when typing in URLs.

B

Bokser

nickspohn and Aiphanes

Thanks so much for the effort guys, really helpful!

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
the headphone jack (like the first gen iphone) checks the resistance of the plug. and stores the data. So the volume you set for the headphones when you plug them back in will be set to what you previously had on them.

I tried it with 3 different headphones, giving me 3 different volume settings I previously used in respect to each headphone.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Here's one:

sounds an awful lot like a restore. isnt that the recovery sequence?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Nick coming strong to the thread with some good stuff!!!

Thanks a ton.
Lots of great info in here for newbs like me and some seasoned veterans. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.