Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
- If you tap the top of the phone by the clock, it will bring you to the top of the page, say if you are in a pretty long website on safari.

Totally didn't know that, THATS AWESOME! lol
It also works in other apps, says SMS and stuff.

higgalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008

But it isn't only in Safari - I just did it when browsing pictures for the wallpaper. So it is a default iPhone function which should work in all (or many) programs.

Jeff321

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
I found this out from an earlier 2.0 beta, but with the keyboard up, you can press and hold on keys and it will pop up alternate forms of letters for other languages. For the period it will also pop up .com, .net, .org, etc. This applies to the .com button as well when typing in URLs.

Neat, I didn't know that, or the 2 fingers in Maps to zoom out a level.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
If you drop an iPhone 3G into a toilet and leap in after it you'll be transported to the nearest McDonald's. It's pretty cool, but you have to act kinda quick.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
When you get a call from an unknown number it shows the location where the call is coming from. City and state! Useful for me.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Get through an entire phone call in my house and not drop a call.
Snapshot 2009-06-01 20-13-48.jpg

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
What do you mean "Single tap in Safari will center the page" ??? It didn't do anything for me.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA

You mean.... you didn't watch the original iPhone announcement 50 times? I inhaled everything in that speech. He was always talking about "No matter how deep you are in a page, you can always tap the top of the screen to return to the top. No matter how deep you are, you can always hit the home button."

:D (not a direct quote in the least)

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Quote:

Here's one:
I didn't know (until a few days ago) that you could take a screen shot of whatever is on your screen by holding down the power button and the home button for a couple of seconds until there is a white flash.

is this a 2.0 feature? If not, i cant seem to get it working. Is there a trick? When i hold both home and on/off it asks me if i want to shutdown the phone

Don't hold them both for a few seconds... Press and hold the home button and while you are holding it down press the sleep/wake button and it will flash a screen capture that goes to your camera role.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
But it isn't only in Safari - I just did it when browsing pictures for the wallpaper. So it is a default iPhone function which should work in all (or many) programs.

Yes this is system wide, although I have used some 3rd party apps that didn't have it implemented. I LOVE this feature and I wish Safari had it on the Mac.

Firefox actually has it on the Macs with multi-touch track pads. You swipe three fingers up or down and it goes all the way to the top or bottom of a page, and you can do the two finger rotate to switch tabs. I have to say I really really hope Apple implements those in Safari on the Mac now. After doing that trick on the iPhone it is sooo painful to scroll or drag through long lists and webpages on the Mac! :(

Sorry for the multiple posts.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The only thing I recently learned that I didnt know was that you can redeem iTunes giftcards and check your account balance from the device in the iTunes Store app. I never noticed because I only ever use the App Store and never the music store on the phone. :)

stezza333

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Tapping either side of the page indicators (white cirlces just above dock) will take you to the next page, rather than having to swipe to the next page.

Wonder how many people knew this?

I'll see if I can remember more.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Yes this is system wide, although I have used some 3rd party apps that didn't have it implemented. I LOVE this feature and I wish Safari had it on the Mac.

Firefox actually has it on the Macs with multi-touch track pads. You swipe three fingers up or down and it goes all the way to the top or bottom of a page, and you can do the two finger rotate to switch tabs. I have to say I really really hope Apple implements those in Safari on the Mac now. After doing that trick on the iPhone it is sooo painful to scroll or drag through long lists and webpages on the Mac! :(

Random...but this doesn't work in facebook for me. :(

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005

On your Mac keyboard... press "home" or "end" while you're in Safari. Works great for me! Also, I think they added the "jump to the top of the page" feature in Safari because that's how to get to the GUI elements for the address bar and reload buttons.

Fitty Cent

macrumors member
May 14, 2009
When you get a call from an unknown number it shows the location where the call is coming from. City and state! Useful for me.

It does?

Another useful thing people may not know is that in the songs and artists lists for the iPod and contacts list for the phone, notice the alphabet on the side. If you drag your finger up and down over the letters, it scrolls through the alphabet. If you tap a single letter, it goes directly to the start of that letter.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
On your Mac keyboard... press "home" or "end" while you're in Safari. Works great for me! Also, I think they added the "jump to the top of the page" feature in Safari because that's how to get to the GUI elements for the address bar and reload buttons.

Yes, you are probably right and it is just annoying to scroll so much. The home and end are good but I don't want to have to take my hand off the trackpad haha :) It would just be a nice simple gesture like FireFox did it.

Spyt3

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Caps lock,

maybe i'm just slow, but i just discovered the caps lock function.
under keyboard settings:
settings>general>keyboard>enable caps lock

you can turn on the handy-dandy caps lock function.
all you have to do is double tap the shift key while typing to turn it on!
it turns a nice blue color to tell you it's activated.
to turn it off, simply tap it again.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
My iPhone spoke to me once. It sounded like Kit from Knight Rider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.