Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

142540-nvidia_mbp_settlement.jpg

Several MacRumors readers have forwarded us emails they received earlier today notifying them of a proposed class-action settlement for customers who purchased certain MacBook Pro models or other Dell and HP notebooks and have been experiencing failures of their graphics chips.
A settlement of a class action lawsuit (The NVIDIA GPU Litigation, Case No. 08-cv-04312-JW) relates to the NVIDIA chips inside certain Dell, Hewlett-Packard ("HP"), and Apple notebook computers. The lawsuit claims that NVIDIA sold defective Graphics Processing Units ("GPU") and Media and Communications Processors ("MCP") that affected the performance of some of the notebook computers in which they were incorporated. NVIDIA denies all allegations of wrongdoing and has asserted many defenses. The settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing.
For MacBook Pro customers, only those who have experienced the following issues on the covered machines are eligible for compensation:

- Distorted or scrambled video on the notebook computer screen
- No video on the notebook computer screen even when the notebook computer is on

Users who qualify for compensation may be eligible to receive either free replacement of the faulty chip or reimbursement for repairs previously paid-for by the customer to address the problem.

It is unclear exactly what effect the proposed settlement will have on Apple customers in practice, as Apple itself has already stepped up to cover affected machines. After initially covering the machines for the specific issue for two years from date of purchase, Apple in June 2009 increased the coverage to three years. According to the tech note on the topic, Apple in June 2010 again extended the coverage limits to four years, meaning that customers are covered by Apple until at least May 2011. Similar to the NVIDIA settlement, Apple is offering free repairs or refunds for previously paid-for repairs for affected customers.

Article Link: NVIDIA Class-Action Settlement for MacBook Pro Owners

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Not exactly the same thing, but this reinforces my case for requesting due rectification of the gpu failure following a couple of SC2 sessions with my iMac; I will definitely mention it.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
We were talking about this in the MBP forum, but yeah I'm not sure how anyone with an MBP could benefit from this since Apple is already doing everything stated in the suit. Good luck to those HP & Dell guys tho :p

Feynman

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2005
My MacBook Pro 17" exhibited that problem but Apple repaired it free of charge even though it was way out of warranty. I'm happy enough with that. Would I like a brand new MacBook Pro? Of course but not at Apple's expense, unless of course they shove it down my throat :D

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I actually that exact problem and Apple fixed it for free .. took three or four days. Pretty sweet service, didn't even need a proof of purchase.

T.

PS .. of course, the MBP was out of regular waranty ..

slowpoke

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2007
Bellona
Yeah, what exactly is the point of this suit? My GPU failed and I got it replaced free of charge by an authorised reseller within 48 hours. Seems to be offering exactly the same thing as Apple themselves.

3NV7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Too bad; I was hoping this was for the 9400M blinking problems. Guess we'll have to wait for Apple to do right on that one.

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
1st: I had a MBP affected by this whose GPU died 9 months ago, and no one at either of the Apple stores I took my computer to had any idea this was a larger problem, so that's a fail on Apple as far as I'm concerned.

2nd: I think this is an *extremely* weak settlement. Many people (myself included) decided to buy a new computer rather than pay the excessive cost of a replacement GPU (after parts, labor, shipping, finding another computer to work on for the week it's away, etc. etc.). If my computer failed because of a defect, they should pay me the cost of the repairs, regardless of whether I had the repairs made or not (at the end of the day, I "paid" the repair cost in the form of having to prematurely buy a new computer).

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I have one of the early 2008 models too. Had no idea we had gone from 3 to 4 years. Nice one Apple:apple:

There must have been a lot of machines affected by this.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Closed my lid on my 17 inch Santa Rosa, opened it back up and it never displayed anything. Took it to the Apple Store and it was replaced under AppleCare. No issues since. I guess this settlement doesn't apply to me.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Luckily Apple took care of me already, but good to know it's extended to 4 years in case it happens again.

elminno

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
I suppose what's going to happen is that nothing changes for MacBook Pro owners. Apple will probably just ask NVIDIA for a cash back for all the repairs they've made at their own expense up until now. Makes sense? No? Leave a comment.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Apple replaced my entire logic board last ya because I had some of these problems. It was out if warranty but they still fixed it.

unkdirkpitt

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
1st: I had a MBP affected by this whose GPU died 9 months ago, and no one at either of the Apple stores I took my computer to had any idea this was a larger problem, so that's a fail on Apple as far as I'm concerned.

2nd: I think this is an *extremely* weak settlement. Many people (myself included) decided to buy a new computer rather than pay the excessive cost of a replacement GPU (after parts, labor, shipping, finding another computer to work on for the week it's away, etc. etc.). If my computer failed because of a defect, they should pay me the cost of the repairs, regardless of whether I had the repairs made or not (at the end of the day, I "paid" the repair cost in the form of having to prematurely buy a new computer).

I bought a new computer as well, however Apple let me return the machine 2months later because it turns out I did have the defect when they said I didn't. The only thing I didn't get back was the return shipping cost of $150 (CAD).

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
My Santa Rosa MBP 17 had this problem spring last year and Apple replaced it without any problem. The hardest part was being without my MBP for a week. Talk about withdrawl!

mrtekkid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2006
My GPU died on me three times, along other issues I had with the computer and Apple finally decided to replace it after I told them I wouldn't pay for it after it went out of warranty.

Luckily AppleCare covered my costs, but that GPU was freakin' ridiculous.

stuff4me

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Mine has been fixed under warranty. Happened with 3 months left under Apple Care. Fixed it and it is running like a champ.

Vercingetorix

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
Atlanta, USA
Had the problem; Apple fixed it for free even though it was way out of warranty. Stupid to include Apple in this lawsuit when they've done everything you could expect to make it right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.