NVIDIA Class-Action Settlement for MacBook Pro Owners

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 29, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Several MacRumors readers have forwarded us emails they received earlier today notifying them of a proposed class-action settlement for customers who purchased certain MacBook Pro models or other Dell and HP notebooks and have been experiencing failures of their graphics chips.
    For MacBook Pro customers, only those who have experienced the following issues on the covered machines are eligible for compensation:

- Distorted or scrambled video on the notebook computer screen
    - No video on the notebook computer screen even when the notebook computer is on

Users who qualify for compensation may be eligible to receive either free replacement of the faulty chip or reimbursement for repairs previously paid-for by the customer to address the problem.

It is unclear exactly what effect the proposed settlement will have on Apple customers in practice, as Apple itself has already stepped up to cover affected machines. After initially covering the machines for the specific issue for two years from date of purchase, Apple in June 2009 increased the coverage to three years. According to the tech note on the topic, Apple in June 2010 again extended the coverage limits to four years, meaning that customers are covered by Apple until at least May 2011. Similar to the NVIDIA settlement, Apple is offering free repairs or refunds for previously paid-for repairs for affected customers.

Article Link: NVIDIA Class-Action Settlement for MacBook Pro Owners
  2. Guest

Apr 17, 2005
    Currently in Switzerland
    Not exactly the same thing, but this reinforces my case for requesting due rectification of the gpu failure following a couple of SC2 sessions with my iMac; I will definitely mention it.
  3. macrumors 601

Oct 24, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    We were talking about this in the MBP forum, but yeah I'm not sure how anyone with an MBP could benefit from this since Apple is already doing everything stated in the suit. Good luck to those HP & Dell guys tho :p
  4. macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2007
    So I guess if apple repaired mine for free I'm unaffected? That laptop had so many problems... ugh.
  5. macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2008
    Was not aware of the additional year extension. This is good (better) news for those affected.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 2, 2005
    My MacBook Pro 17" exhibited that problem but Apple repaired it free of charge even though it was way out of warranty. I'm happy enough with that. Would I like a brand new MacBook Pro? Of course but not at Apple's expense, unless of course they shove it down my throat :D
  7. macrumors 6502

Time Less

Jul 29, 2010
    Planet Earth
    my early 08 was made in october, will i still qualify?
  8. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2009
    I actually that exact problem and Apple fixed it for free .. took three or four days. Pretty sweet service, didn't even need a proof of purchase.

PS .. of course, the MBP was out of regular waranty ..
  9. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    So Dell and HP have yet to fix their machines? :eek:
  10. macrumors member

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah, what exactly is the point of this suit? My GPU failed and I got it replaced free of charge by an authorised reseller within 48 hours. Seems to be offering exactly the same thing as Apple themselves.
  11. macrumors 68020

Mar 4, 2005
  12. macrumors member

Oct 21, 2008
    Too bad; I was hoping this was for the 9400M blinking problems. Guess we'll have to wait for Apple to do right on that one.
  13. macrumors 68020

Mar 23, 2006
    Very nice! I had Apple Care cover the cost of mine though, so no worries for me.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    I had this happen 3 times to my old 17". Apple fixed it no questions asked each time, but it was still a hassle.
  15. macrumors member

Jun 5, 2007
    1st: I had a MBP affected by this whose GPU died 9 months ago, and no one at either of the Apple stores I took my computer to had any idea this was a larger problem, so that's a fail on Apple as far as I'm concerned.

2nd: I think this is an *extremely* weak settlement. Many people (myself included) decided to buy a new computer rather than pay the excessive cost of a replacement GPU (after parts, labor, shipping, finding another computer to work on for the week it's away, etc. etc.). If my computer failed because of a defect, they should pay me the cost of the repairs, regardless of whether I had the repairs made or not (at the end of the day, I "paid" the repair cost in the form of having to prematurely buy a new computer).
  16. macrumors 6502

Nov 5, 2007
    I have one of the early 2008 models too. Had no idea we had gone from 3 to 4 years. Nice one Apple:apple:

There must have been a lot of machines affected by this.
  17. macrumors 68000

May 28, 2008
    Closed my lid on my 17 inch Santa Rosa, opened it back up and it never displayed anything. Took it to the Apple Store and it was replaced under AppleCare. No issues since. I guess this settlement doesn't apply to me.
  18. macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2010
    Luckily Apple took care of me already, but good to know it's extended to 4 years in case it happens again.
  19. macrumors newbie

May 15, 2008
    I suppose what's going to happen is that nothing changes for MacBook Pro owners. Apple will probably just ask NVIDIA for a cash back for all the repairs they've made at their own expense up until now. Makes sense? No? Leave a comment.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2008
    Apple replaced my entire logic board last ya because I had some of these problems. It was out if warranty but they still fixed it.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2010
    I bought a new computer as well, however Apple let me return the machine 2months later because it turns out I did have the defect when they said I didn't. The only thing I didn't get back was the return shipping cost of $150 (CAD).
  22. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2009
    My Santa Rosa MBP 17 had this problem spring last year and Apple replaced it without any problem. The hardest part was being without my MBP for a week. Talk about withdrawl!
  23. macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2006
    My GPU died on me three times, along other issues I had with the computer and Apple finally decided to replace it after I told them I wouldn't pay for it after it went out of warranty.

Luckily AppleCare covered my costs, but that GPU was freakin' ridiculous.
  24. macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2008
    Mine has been fixed under warranty. Happened with 3 months left under Apple Care. Fixed it and it is running like a champ.
  25. macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2007
    Atlanta, USA
    Had the problem; Apple fixed it for free even though it was way out of warranty. Stupid to include Apple in this lawsuit when they've done everything you could expect to make it right.