Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Spotify Makes U.S. Debut With Paid Plans and Invite-Only Free Service

Streaming music firm Spotify today announced the immediate launch of its beta phase offerings in the United States, debuting as an invitation-only free service paired with two different paid tiers: Unlimited at $4.99/month and Premium at $9.99/month.

The Spotify app for iPhone [App Store] is also now live in the U.S. App Store, and a subscription to the Premium service is required for mobile device access.
Quote:
During our invite-only beta phase, we'll be offering three great services - from absolutely free to paid subscriptions. The services we're launching today are:

- Spotify Free - the unsurpassed free music service. With an invite, enjoy on-demand, buffer-free access to over 15 million songs on your computer and great social features. Manage your own music files through Spotify, and sync with your cellphone or iPod. Features occasional advertising.

- Spotify Unlimited - all the special features of our free service, but with uninterrupted, ad-free access to Spotify on your computer. All for only $4.99 a month.

- Spotify Premium - the top-of-the-range Spotify experience. Premium gives you access to all the music, all the time. Listen online or offline, on your computer, your cellphone and a whole heap of other devices. Enjoy enhanced sound quality and access to exclusive content, competitions and special offers. Premium costs just $9.99 a month. (That's the equivalent of a couple of fancy coffees.)
Spotify's free service is debuting in the U.S. with exclusive ad partners Coca-Cola/Sprite, Chevrolet, Motorola, Reebok and Sonos, who are said to be developing specific and innovative ad campaigns for the platform.

Spotify has seen a fair amount of success in Europe, but the service's much-anticipated U.S. launch has been delayed several times as the company sought to acquire approvals from the major record labels. Those pieces began falling into place over the past few weeks, enabling Spotify to finally bring its offerings to the United States.

Article Link: Spotify Makes U.S. Debut With Paid Plans and Invite-Only Free Service

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jul 14, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Jerome Morrow
Banned

I understand this look awesome from consumer perspective, but how is this really a sustainable business model?

And already -1 for asking a simple question which has obviously no simple answer.
Jerome Morrow is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

Sorry but I don't see it getting too far in the USA.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:37 AM   #4
teloche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Streaming music firm Spotify today announced the immediate launch of its beta phase offerings in the United States, debuting as an invitation-only free service paired with two different paid tiers: Unlimted at $4.99/month and Premium at $9.99/month.

The Spotify app for iPhone [App Store] is also now live in the U.S. App Store, and a subscription to the Premium service is required for mobile device access.Spotify's free service is debuting in the U.S. with exclusive ad partners Coca-Cola/Sprite, Chevrolet, Motorola, Reebok and Sonos, who are said to be developing specific and innovative ad campaigns for the platform.

YouTube: video
Spotify has seen a fair amount of success in Europe, but the service's much-anticipated U.S. launch has been delayed several times as the company sought to acquire approvals from the major record labels. Those pieces began falling into place over the past few weeks, enabling Spotify to finally bring its offerings to the United States.

Article Link: Spotify Makes U.S. Debut With Paid Plans and Invite-Only Free Service
and no one else noticed that the prices are mixed up, so is premium 4,99 or 9,99 a month?
teloche is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
ghostlyorb
macrumors 6502a

I will try it out.. from what it SOUNDS like.. it's better than Pandora... like that fact that it's on demand.
ghostlyorb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:38 AM   #6
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
I understand this look awesome from consumer perspective, but how is this really a sustainable business model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalclips View Post
Sorry but I don't see it getting too far in the USA.
Just because a paid music sevice that isn't offered by Apple doesn't mean it's destined for failure.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:38 AM   #7
joe8232
macrumors regular

The US seem to have it very lucky, the prices are the same in $ as they are in £ for us in the UK. Unfair
joe8232 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Jerome Morrow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
Just because a paid music sevice that isn't offered by Apple doesn't mean it's destined for failure.
Show me where i was talking about failure? I'm asking how this is a sustainable business model that's all. Quit smoking, pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8232 View Post
The US seem to have it very lucky, the prices are the same in $ as they are in £ for us in the UK. Unfair
If it checks just location and doesn't require US credit card then buy some cheap VPN (~5 USD/month) and problem solved.
Jerome Morrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:41 AM   #9
daneoni
macrumors G4

I got my invite like two year ago and i can't even remember the last time i launched the app.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:42 AM   #10
FriarNurgle
macrumors regular

I'm quite happy with Grooveshark but will try this out.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:42 AM   #11
cavemonkey50
macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what happened to the radio functionality Spotify used to have? All the screenshots from Europe show a radio tab. Do they not have radio functionality in the United States version?
Apple TV 3
cavemonkey50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Reevey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teloche View Post
and no one else noticed that the prices are mixed up, so is premium 4,99 or 9,99 a month?
Prem is 9.99
Unlimited is 4.99

I don't see where it's said anything else? =/

I've used Spotify since it came out, happily paying member. It's a fantastic service, works really well. Worth every penny.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jul 14, 2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: invitation offer removed; use thread 1152541 instead
Reevey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:43 AM   #13
bushido
macrumors 603

signed up behind my US IP yesterday, got nothing back so far
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:43 AM   #14
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Though I like Pandora, it's nice to see more competition -- as long as it doesn't drive the prices higher (which seems to be happening more often in the US).

I don't understand the Spotify tiers. "Free" obviously has ads, which isn't really a big deal. But what's "invite only?" Does someone currently using Spotify have to invite you? That seems like it would automatically slow down Spotify's adoption rate here.

I don't see much difference between "Unlimited" and "Premium." They both allow unlimited access. "Free" allows mobile syncing. Does "Unlimited" restrict you to just your computer? That would be absurd, paying for a service that gives you less than the free version. I would imagine that most people would want music-to-go, not be restricted to their desktop (or laptop).
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:44 AM   #15
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The prices aren't mixed up. Must be just you.
daveathall is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:44 AM   #16
AAPLaday

Quote:
Unlimited (desktop) $4.99, Premium (listen on your phone) $9,99
AAPLaday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:44 AM   #17
eroplos
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemonkey50 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the radio functionality Spotify used to have? All the screenshots from Europe show a radio tab. Do they not have radio functionality in the United States version?
You mean this? http://cl.ly/042g2d1D3S2l2V1t2D0h
I got it in the Dutch version! Dunno if it's in the US version, but I got it
eroplos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:45 AM   #18
eroplos
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPLaday View Post
And with Premium you can listen offline (save music, which is pretty handy on your phone) and the music is in higher quality
eroplos is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:46 AM   #19
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPLaday View Post
Not to mention offline playlists, which I use a lot - download as much music as I want over wifi, then listen to it wherever I want without having to sell a kidney to pay for 3G data

Now if only they'd finally introduce an iPad app....! According to the responses from their Twitter account they are "working on it"... but have been from quite a long time now - surely it can't be that hard?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:46 AM   #20
KamuiVII
macrumors member

Its not in the AppStore yet
KamuiVII is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:47 AM   #21
Lyle
macrumors 68000

I've been a Rdio subscriber for a few months now and am pretty happy with the service, though I sometimes have trouble with hangups or "stuttering" in the music streaming. I will probably give Spotify a try for awhile and see if it seems to work better for me.
Lyle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:48 AM   #22
Reevey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Though I like Pandora, it's nice to see more competition -- as long as it doesn't drive the prices higher (which seems to be happening more often in the US).

I don't understand the Spotify tiers. "Free" obviously has ads, which isn't really a big deal. But what's "invite only?" Does someone currently using Spotify have to invite you? That seems like it would automatically slow down Spotify's adoption rate here.

I don't see much difference between "Unlimited" and "Premium." They both allow unlimited access. "Free" allows mobile syncing. Does "Unlimited" restrict you to just your computer? That would be absurd, paying for a service that gives you less than the free version. I would imagine that most people would want music-to-go, not be restricted to their desktop (or laptop).
The free one only allows you to sync music from your own collection (mp3s you have already) or songs you buy from spotify (like itunes) to your device.

Prem lets you create playlists that can be played on ios or android devices, even without internet access (offline playlists).

There's loads of great features that barely get a mention, like collab playlists, great for in the office. The social side of it is done well, it's non-instrusive.

Seriously worth a try
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:48 AM   #23
Shanesan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamuiVII View Post
Its not in the AppStore yet
While Grooveshark can't even get into the AppStore, you will most likely not see Spotify there. You will probably have to Jailbreak, just like for Grooveshark's mobile app.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:49 AM   #24
eroplos
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8232 View Post
I know what you mean! I pay €10,- a month, which is the same as $14,20!! But hey, I happily pay the 10 euros for this service and maybe I will make a US account and pay in dollars, with the premium account you can use the service unlimited world-wide!
eroplos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:50 AM   #25
Stok3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
in fact I prefer this over purchasing in iTunes. I think many others agree.
Stok3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion