Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:50 AM   #26
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Now, Spotify imma' let you finish, but yo' be fleecin' yo' current loyal users in the UK.
NutsNGum is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:51 AM   #27
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

[QUOTE=Jerome Morrow;12938211]Show me where i was talking about failure? I'm asking how this is a sustainable business model that's all. Quit smoking, pal.

How is a non sustainable business model anything OTHER than failure?

Example: If I take in less money than I bring in, I am "losing" money. "Lose" too much money, and my business will be forced to close. After closing, I realize since my business model was not sustainable, my business was a failure.

This isn't difficult.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:51 AM   #28
eroplos
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
While Grooveshark can't even get into the AppStore, you will most likely not see Spotify there. You will probably have to Jailbreak, just like for Grooveshark's mobile app.
It will be in the app store! It's in the Dutch app store! Plus the difference between Spotify and Grooveshark is that Spotify actually has deals with the record companies and Grooveshark doesn't! That's why Grooveshark isn't in the App Store, because of complaints of the record labels
eroplos is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:52 AM   #29
AAPLaday

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroplos View Post
And with Premium you can listen offline (save music, which is pretty handy on your phone) and the music is in higher quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticus View Post
Not to mention offline playlists, which I use a lot - download as much music as I want over wifi, then listen to it wherever I want without having to sell a kidney to pay for 3G data

Now if only they'd finally introduce an iPad app....! According to the responses from their Twitter account they are "working on it"... but have been from quite a long time now - surely it can't be that hard?
Thats right! Its a great service. Yeah i saw something about the iPad app coming soon too. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as it took the service to launch in the US
AAPLaday is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:53 AM   #30
Richardgm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
While Grooveshark can't even get into the AppStore, you will most likely not see Spotify there. You will probably have to Jailbreak, just like for Grooveshark's mobile app.
Not accurate. It is in the App Store (US, too). I downloaded and am using Spotify now.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:54 AM   #31
gleepskip
macrumors regular

How to get around invite

1. Use a UK proxy to register for a Spotify Free account.
2. Then log in from the US and change your country in your user profile to USA.
3. Profit???
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:54 AM   #32
kimble3
macrumors member

[QUOTE=TWSS37;12938279]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
Show me where i was talking about failure? I'm asking how this is a sustainable business model that's all. Quit smoking, pal.

How is a non sustainable business model anything OTHER than failure?

Example: If I take in less money than I bring in, I am "losing" money. "Lose" too much money, and my business will be forced to close. After closing, I realize since my business model was not sustainable, my business was a failure.
What I want to know is how is this a good deal for the artists? It seems like they are the real losers in this venture...
kimble3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:56 AM   #33
Prenvo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Spotify will be in the App Store. It already is in the European countries previously available.
Prenvo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:56 AM   #34
Stok3
macrumors regular

[QUOTE=kimble3;12938292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post

What I want to know is how is this a good deal for the artists? It seems like they are the real losers in this venture...
they are the losers anyway. They make nothing on any sale, whether digital or in a brick and mortar store. Quite sad actually.
Stok3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:56 AM   #35
cxny
macrumors 6502

might finally justify my grandfathered all-you-can-eat iPhone ATT data plan...
cxny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:57 AM   #36
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Ill just quote myself from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I have as much concern about musicians, their royalties and payments as they have about my wages, if I want to listen to some music, I couldn't care less about what they do or don't get paid for it.

I subscribe and enjoy spotify, mainly listening through a sonos multi room system, not bothered where that money goes as I class it as good value.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:57 AM   #37
Prenvo
macrumors regular

[QUOTE=kimble3;12938292]
Quote:

Artists apparently already get almost nothing from music sales after the tens of middlemen take their massive cuts (*cough* labels, Apple *cough*), so I'm not too worried.
Prenvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:59 AM   #38
bit density
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morrow View Post
I understand this look awesome from consumer perspective, but how is this really a sustainable business model?

And already -1 for asking a simple question which has obviously no simple answer.
Why wouldn't it be? It's like radio, except I pay. Much of the monthly money goes to the labels and the labels want to have another revenue stream than i-tunes. How is buying music "sustainable"? I pay nothing for long periods of time to i-tunes, where I am likely to keep paying to spotify.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:00 AM   #39
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You're kidding,right?

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spotify/id324684580?mt=8
djrod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:01 AM   #40
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

Been using this for the last hour or so and honestly meh...

I really dont like the interface, yes songs load fast and quality is good but after using rdio for the last month I can't imagine investing in spotify.

Rdio allows me to easily add albums to my collection in spotify you have to find each song and can make a playlist. I like full albums and so far Ive not found a way to do that in spotify.

Also only allowing one device in use at the same time even offline in offline mode sucks!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:01 AM   #41
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Pretty good prices, especially considering that its £9.99 and £4.99 in the UK.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:03 AM   #42
John.B
macrumors 68040

Spotify is owned in part by the record labels themselves. What they appear to have done is develop an alternate revenue stream with a loophole that pays the actual musicians a mere pitance compared to the going rate for other broadcast or internet media outlets.

Pretty slick to have the same record labels that sue individuals for MP3 piracy (via their RIAA front organization) paying almost no royalties themselves.

Source: http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...omment-page-3/

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:04 AM   #43
Themaeds
macrumors regular

[QUOTE=Prenvo;12938307]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimble3 View Post

Artists apparently already get almost nothing from music sales after the tens of middlemen take their massive cuts (*cough* labels, Apple *cough*), so I'm not too worried.
This is very true...the artists that make money on selling music are the ones who record, produce and release it themselves. IE Radiohead, Pearl Jam.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:06 AM   #44
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrod View Post
Indeed, the Spotify app has been in the app stores(s) in Europe for a while - no reason why it won't be in the US.

Lay off the peyote dude...!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:09 AM   #45
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

So have the invites started rolling out? I registered 3 of my emails within minutes of the signup earlier this month. Hopefully one of those will get an invite.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:09 AM   #46
hexonxonx
Banned

The Spotify app looks very much like Grooveshark.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:09 AM   #47
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroplos View Post
You mean this? http://cl.ly/042g2d1D3S2l2V1t2D0h
I got it in the Dutch version! Dunno if it's in the US version, but I got it
For worldwide radio on your iphone use this fantastic app:

Pocket Tunes with Music dock for paid content.

Under 10 bucks and worth every penny:-)
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:09 AM   #48
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

Since i started using spotify premium a few months ago im never going back to downloading mp3:s again. Spotify is simply awsome. Check out the numerous sites that offer playlists of various categories for spotify!
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:15 AM   #49
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The Spotify app is already in the US App store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spotify/id324684580?mt=8

Grooveshark isn't in the app store (or the Android market, I might add) not because of Apple, but because they don't have the proper licensing agreements in place with the record labels. Spotify does.
Reason077 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:16 AM   #50
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPLaday View Post
Unlimited (desktop) $4.99, Premium (listen on your phone) $9,99

I guess they mean unlimited as it is used in broadband advertising not as it is used in English.
unlinked is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion