Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5-11-500x231.jpg

A new survey proffers the debatable conclusion that 41 percent of US consumers plan to buy the iPhone 5 according to mobile ad company InMobi. According to the survey, 50 percent of those planning to buy the next iPhone will do so within the first six months. It is expected that the iPhone will be made available to Sprint's 52 million customers, opening a new market to the smartphone for the first time.

From PaidContent:
If consumers put their money where their mouths are, these numbers could go a long way to bumping up Apple's overall market share in the UK and the U.S.. According to figures from Kantar Worldpanel, in Q2 Apple had an 18.3 percent share of the UK smartphone market; another research group, comScore (NSDQ: SCOR), puts it around 20 percent. If people follow through with their purchasing intent, InMobi says this share would go up to 40 percent. In the U.S., the market share would grow to 41 percent.
Other surveys have shown similar demand for the next iPhone, with very high "intent-to-buy" numbers.

However, InMobi notes that if Apple releases a mere product update -- perhaps called the iPhone 4S -- rather than a full product redesign, significantly fewer consumers will purchase the updated phone. If Apple is planning to release a completely redesigned iPhone 5, the company has kept it quiet. There have been very few solid leaks about the next-generation iPhone, aside from the release of some speculative teardrop-style case designs.

PaidContent has much more detail on the survey and its results.

Article Link: 41% of US Mobile Phone Users Plan to Buy iPhone 5

Last edited by a moderator:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Well, duh. People don't want to take a half step up (especially if they're coming from an iPhone 4).

Either way, I bet they'll sell a lot.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
lets be clear about this.

the next iPhone iteration will sell

in other news,
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...eries-sees-ipad-cuts-ups-estimates-on-iphone/

iPad3 is coming in January! but will not have a Retina Display.

1) iPad 2 HD was canceled (~1M units retooled)
2) Sooner-than- expected iPad 3 launch in late Jan
3) Retail inventory caution due to potential demand slowdown
4) Some production shift to Brazil. We see 29M iPads shipped in H2 vs. 14M in H1. We trim our 2011 global tablet forecast from 70M to 65M.

Last edited:

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I wish MR would stop putting that picture up with every iPhone story. It will just make it that much harder on October 4 when the new phone is announced and it looks just like the current phone. :(

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Bs

How do people come up with such BS? It's obvious to everybody that this is not true.

byuballboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
They should change this study to be called "41% of US mobile phone users WANT to purchase iPhone 5".

Last edited:

byuballboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They should change this study to be called "41% of US mobile phone users WANT to purchase iPhone 5".

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Ugh..........Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Tony

What, offended by people's opinions?

Oh! I guess people should only opt for Android and then it would be an intelligent buy. Just what I thought. :rolleyes:

On another note, 41% of mobile users or smartphone users? 41% of mobile users is a huge number. I bet there will be riots if that's the case.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, they should just nix the story. Either way the results are obviously preposterous. This is Page 2 stuff here, if worth posting at all.

Tony

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
What, offended by people's opinions?

Oh! I guess people should only opt for Android and then it would be an intelligent buy. Just what I thought. :roll eyes:

No. 41% of US consumers is like 100 MILLION phones in the USA alone. Jeez, you guys. :rolleyes:

Tony

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
The teardrop model won't be very popular. It'll be awkward rotating it to play landscape-style games like Angry Birds and We Rule, since one side will be thicker than the other.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
That's not what was clear from your post. In any way, 100,000,000 people can have opinions too and have the right to make their own choice.

What's your problem with that?

My problem is that there is NO WAY THIS IS TRUE. It is impossible. The survey sample conclusion is false. The sample was either highly biased or the surveyers have no idea how to run and extrapolate a valid statistical sample.

Tony

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
No. 41% of US consumers is like 100 MILLION phones in the USA alone. Jeez, you guys. :rolleyes:

Tony

This just shows that a flawed sample can really skew a survey. The problem here is probably the sample they used. Or maybe MR is misquoting, maybe they mean Smartphone users, which would make more sense (Apple already has something like 28% market share of category for the US).

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
That's not what was clear from your post. In any way, 100,000,000 people can have opinions too and have the right to make their own choice.

What's your problem with that?

The only problem with this survey is that it's a lie. If 41% of people wanted to get iPhone what exactly prevented them to do so already?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I can't wait until the phone comes out so MacRumors can stop using that picture on every single iPhone 5 post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.