Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I just surveyed the 25 people in my office sitting closest to me, and only 2 even KNEW the iPhone 5 was coming out and none planned to buy. This is actually true. If I extrapolate this sample set to the entire US population, then the iPhone 5 will sell zero units. Case closed. :p

Tony

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
Holy crap. 41%. That's like the biggest market share ever. Damn. Apple doing big things. Damn, 41% of MOBILE PHONE USERS. That's quite a few people.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
How can anyone believe a survey that doesn't even mention its sample size?

For all we know, it could have been 10 people all standing outside an Apple Store.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
My problem is that there is NO WAY THIS IS TRUE. It is impossible. The survey sample conclusion is false. The sample was either highly biased or the surveyers have no idea how to run and extrapolate a valid statistical sample.

Tony

Duh! I totally agree with that. I guess you didn't even bother to read my post.

The only problem with this survey is that it's a lie. If 41% of people wanted to get iPhone what exactly prevented them to do so already?

You. :rolleyes:

I never said that the survey was right or wrong. I bet they only surveyed some 100 people.
Also, read my first post and see what I'm talking about.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Surveys, reports, stories, etc. like this show the difference between the tech and the Wall Street crowds.

The techies read this stuff and roll their eyes.

The Wall Street crowds reads this stuff and thinks they are now more in touch with the technology consumer.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I just surveyed the 25 people in my office sitting closest to me, and only 2 even KNEW the iPhone 5 was coming out and none planned to buy. This is actually true. If I extrapolate this sample set to the entire US population, then the iPhone 5 will sell zero units. Case closed. :p

Tony

lolol.gif

:cool:

byuballboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
That's not what was clear from your post. In any way, 100,000,000 people can have opinions too and have the right to make their own choice.

What's your problem with that?

And add to that, that not every citizen of the US is a mobile phone user. So the number is actually smaller than 100,000,000.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
However great a spec bumped iPhone 4S revised in every way except physical design might be it will not have the same wow factor as a brand new design.

I have seen stories about iPhone 5 anticipation even on non-tech news sites.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Wait, what's the name of the original site that posted this garbage again? "PaidContent?" Hmm.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
So the analysts were right that Apple will sell 100-125 million iPhones in the next year!

And just in the USA. Given that Apple sold a quarterly record breaking 18.65 million units WORLDWIDE in Q2, 2011, that would mean about 75 million WORDWIDE if this record breaking pace was sustained for a full year. The survey would indicate 100+ million sales in the USA ALONE. Right. When people do surveys like this (or even then repost here), they really need to lift there heads and see if the actual extrapolated results make any sense whatsoever.

http://appzdev.com/mac-iphone-blog/2011/09/iphone-sales-statistics-2010-and-2011/

Tony

kkim0228

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
Statistics

I'm taking a statistics class in college right now learning about so many ways to conduct a survey WRONG. This is a prime example that I should bring over to my class discussion. :rolleyes:

raviadso

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
count me in the group that will upgrade either way

but there will be a redesign.

New, more ipad-like case,
fixed antenna,
A5 processor
1gb ram
IOS5
8mp camera
4.0" screen (same resolution, slightly lower pixel density)

Bumped stats and Im happy with my purchase. All those redesigns and I will be THRILLED

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.