Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Great news! Anything but iOS, FTW!

Why is it great news?

Oh, and no I won't support Israel...

----------

Quality > Quantity

Exactly...they sold more crappy phones vs. decent phones. And don't give me the "GS2/Prime" crap. The latter isn't even out yet. Most of the phones they offer are low-end to mid-range junk.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Why is it great news?

Oh, and no I won't support Israel...

----------

Exactly...they sold more crappy phones vs. decent phones. And don't give me the "GS2/Prime" crap. The latter isn't even out yet. Most of the phones they offer are low-end to mid-range junk.

Yeah because dual core 1.2ghz 1gb ram and amoled+ is low end junk.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Which completely applies to this. GS2 is awesome and the Galaxy Nexus will sell a TON too. Apple better be remodeling.

Or maybe, just maybe, people halted iPhone purchases in anticipation of the iPhone 4's successor. Call me crazy.

With a record 4M units sold on the opening weekend and a record 1M preorders, I think that Apple's next quarter is going to be pretty amazing.

That said, the Galaxy Nexus does look like a very nice phone. If it ran iOS 5 I might actually buy one -- but I am really starting to love this new camera on the iPhone 4S and I am expecting big things out of Siri once it leaves the "beta" stage.

Don't get me wrong.... ICS has some nice improvements for Android, but nothing I needed or cared about and certainly nothing that is going to make me switch ecosystems. Most Apple customers are probably not going to be enticed to switch ecosystems either, so the premium-priced Galaxy Nexus which will cater to a more savvy audience will likely simply take its place as the premier phone for Android audience and become the subject for all "spec/feature comparison" arguments in the coming year.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
As someone already pointed out its quality before quantity. However what is most shocking that people don't understand that iPhone is only ONE model when Samsung and other vendors produce different models to fill the gap and still Apple can beat that.
Now can you imagine what would happen if Apple decide to make some mini iPhone etc?. On other note will be interesting to see iOS with other smartphones; I guess SonyEricsson or Nokia or LG wouldn't have any problem to adopt it :D

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple is not known for making crappy phones...

They make one product and stick to it.

I am sure apple will make much more money than Samsung on each unit they sell....

Apple got 80 billion dollars in cash reserve and samsung only has 19 billion dollars.

Apple also hasn't put out new model for 16 months. Samsung launched Galaxy S2, W, and probably other 100 devices in a year.

Congrats Samsung.

The difference in cash is easy to explain. First, Samsung spends 8 times more than Apple on R&D. Second, the capital expenditures. Apple spends $5.7 billion in 2011. Samsung? $38 billion:

Overall the Samsung Group pledges to spend 43.1 trillion won ($US 38.35 billion) in 2011 for all its businesses, up about 18% from 2010. Of that, about 10.3T won ($9.16B) will be in capital expenditures and facility investments for its semiconductor business -- a dropoff from 2010's ~12T won ($10.7B). (The company also pledges 12.1T won/$10.77B for R&D in 2011, up 14%, and 5.4T won/$4.80B each in LCDs and OLEDs.)

Cash is good but the future belongs to Samsung.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Seems reasonable that Samsung sells more ... Samsung was projected to sell over 20M phones by this past quarter (especially from the intro and traction of the Galaxy SII).

Apple's guidance from last quarter implied that they'll sell less to ramp up for transitioning to the 'next product' ( the intro of the 4S).

If you take a look at a chart Apple's product sales, there is usually a dip (or flattening out) of sales the quarter before the new product launch. And usually the quarter with the new product blow numbers out of the water (esp if timed with the holiday season). That's why the guidance for the next quarter is $37B.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Or maybe, just maybe, people halted iPhone purchases in anticipation of the iPhone 4's successor. Call me crazy.

With a record 4M units sold on the opening weekend and a record 1M preorders, I think that Apple's next quarter is going to be pretty amazing.

That said, the Galaxy Nexus does look like a very nice phone. If it ran iOS 5 I might actually buy one -- but I am really starting to love this new camera on the iPhone 4S and I am expecting big things out of Siri once it leaves the "beta" stage.

Don't get me wrong.... ICS has some nice improvements for Android, but nothing I needed or cared about and certainly nothing that is going to make me switch ecosystems. Most Apple customers are probably not going to be enticed to switch ecosystems either, so the premium-priced Galaxy Nexus which will cater to a more savvy audience will likely simply take its place as the premier phone for Android audience and become the subject for all "spec/feature comparison" arguments in the coming year.

You are crazy. Have you though about the fact that maybe, just maybe, people halted Samsung phone purchases in anticipation of Galaxy SII (in US), Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note and Galaxy SII HD LTE?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
As someone already pointed out its quality before quantity. However what is most shocking that people don't understand that iPhone is only ONE model when Samsung and other vendors produce different models to fill the gap and still Apple can beat that.
Now can you imagine what would happen if Apple decide to make some mini iPhone etc?. On other note will be interesting to see iOS with other smartphones; I guess SonyEricsson or Nokia or LG wouldn't have any problem to adopt it :D

Well technically Apple makes several phones.

3GS 8gb
4 16gb, 32gb, black, white
4S 16gb, 32gb, 64gb, black, white

Whereas, for example - there's only one version of each of samsungs phones.

...if you want to be accurate is all I'm sayin'

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
People can, and will most likely speculate all they want. But the real reason here is the delay of the iPhone 4S. Q4 will tell a much different story.

Yup, came here to say that this was a temporary blip due to a refresh cycle.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm an Apple user, but also want Samsung and all the other phone makers to succeed.

All the good stuff we've seen in the industry lately happens because of competition. The worst thing that could happen is Apple becoming completely dominant in the market. Stagnation would result.

Way to go Samsung, and everyone else. Let's enjoy a marketplace full of different and diverse options!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

it should be noted this includes many smartphones that are now on pay as you go plans. you can buy a few different models from samsung for $80-$100 retail and the shelves are lined with them here in Canada. the profit on those models is tiny and they have likely sold a ton but who knows how many end up with customers

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
can we just delete this whole silly thread please..

No idea why you got all the minuses.

Agreed that this thread is silly and this is totally unimportant for my life too.

I love using my iphone 4S and I hope all the Samsung, HTC, Nexus etc. users are happy with their choice.

Where is the problem?

Piercussion

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Trying to Compare Apples to Oranges

You cannot compare Samsung with Apple. Apple only has ONE smartphone and Samsung has many. Pick any one Samsung smartphone and Apple will have it beat for sure in number of units shipped.

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
You people are more dillusional every day. Is Apple the most important thing in your lives and are your lives really that messed up? Apple has totally conditioned you fools and you're too stupid to realise it. You're weak minded fools who need to be told what to like and not to like. You need Apple to make those decisions for you and that's just pathetic.

jeff33702

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Total volume means nothing, IMO.

The fact that Samsung can make many different models with different OS's and scatter them throughout the market is great for them. None of those devices are going to get the attention to detail that iPhone gets. It's Quality vs. Quantity and I find more and more people are after quality and experience.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Crazy.

Halted is quite strong a word. Apple sold 17 million phones during their Q4. That's not "halted" by any meaning of the word. They had sold 20 million in Q3.

And Samsung did have great success with the SGS II, selling 5 million units (only 1 model remember) in 85 days before having any availability in the United States for that model, that's on top of all their other smartphone models.

Samsung is doing something right and their pushing out phones. Apple is also doing something right. This is not a competition, I wonder why people feel so much threatened by the success of a company different from Apple.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Well technically Apple makes several phones.

3GS 8gb
4 16gb, 32gb, black, white
4S 16gb, 32gb, 64gb, black, white

Whereas, for example - there's only one version of each of samsungs phones.

...if you want to be accurate is all I'm sayin'

Well...

Galaxy W,
Galaxy S Plus
GalaxyS II
Galaxy Pro
Galaxy Gio
Nexus S
Galaxy Fit
Galaxy Ace
Galaxy Mini
Galaxy Europa
Galaxy Apollo...

...all old and new models ready to buy, white and black

...not mention Samsung uses Android, Windows and some silly Bada OS

....is all I'm sayin' ;)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
That's ONE of their offerings. Now go to their site, and look at all the low end crap...

Couldn't the same be said about Apple's offering of the 3GS?

Both Apple and Samsung are targeting the low end (Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Mini, 3GS) Mid range (Galaxy S, Galaxy W, Omnia 7, Wave II, iPhone 4) and high end (Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, iPhone 4s).

Are you saying Samsung produces lower quality hardware because of their diversity when it comes to smartphones?

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I love seeing the competition, helps Apple stay out of Anti-Trust problems :). All I care is that Apple continues to make great things, they don't need to always be #1 for that.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Notice however Samsung said "shipped" did they not? That is s different thing entirely than "sold". Apple sells as fast as they ship.

RIM and others go on about how many tablets they shipped. How many were bought at full retail as opposed to a fire sale and how many more are collecting dust on store shelves?

As far as I'm concerned, whatever. I prefer my iPhone 4. The GS2 is nice also.

Use what you like and get over it already.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
If apple outsells

"Of course they do they are the absolute best everyone else isn't even trying it seems lol they're so stupid "

If not

"Its quality over quantity guys "

If apple changes a product

"They are so revolutionary they know what people want they are always pushing the boundary. Omg they're amazing "

If they don't

"Well it was already perfect. They don't have to change anything, its already perfect. The other guys that are constantly changing it up don't know what they're doing "

I could go on and on. Lol

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
How come when Apple outsells Samsung it's because the iPhone is so great, but when Samsung outsells Apple you guys start claiming quality>quantity?

:rolleyes:

Most of the people in this thread are what give MacRumors and Apple users their bad name

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
That's ONE of their offerings. Now go to their site, and look at all the low end crap...

This is smartphone sales, not basic phones. None of samsungs smartphones are what I would consider low end crap. And none of them are 3 year old models that they continue to sell like apple does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.