Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
You are crazy. Have you though about the fact that maybe, just maybe, people halted Samsung phone purchases in anticipation of Galaxy SII (in US), Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note and Galaxy SII HD LTE?

No, because quite simply people do not wait with bated breath for Samsung's next product announcement--they simply announce too many new products to build up any kind of anticipation.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Where is iPhone quality?

Screen? Already 3 manufacturers ship Super AMOLED phones: Sam, Nok and Mot including larger sizes and HD resolution. Apple is still using the old LCD tech.

Camera? 6 month old Galaxy SII and HTC MyTouch both beat brand new iPhone 4S in camera department: http://www.pcworld.com/article/241955-2/smartphone_camera_battle_iphone_4s_vs_the_android_elite.html

OS? Android had voice command and notifications for 2 years. Apple just came out with it.

And were is 4G, NFC, true multitasking?

OMG here we go again :D :D true multitasking my ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I know !

It's comical how defensive Apple fans get.

Even the contributors know it and have to include "Reportedly" in the title

Otherwise people would go nuts.

Good for you Samsung ! Keep up the competition.

The upcoming Samsung Focus S is looking pretty sweet too !
(watch people get all butt hurt over that statement)

Reportedly wasn't used to protect the feelings of anyone, the article is quite clear on why that word was used.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
These threads are pointless and just breed fanboy rants.

Both companies and both phones are great, certainly great to have the competition as well.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Well I won't be reading too much into it...

...seeing as Apple make ONE premium product phone (albeit three memory configs), whereas Samsung also make cheapie-phones which more people will buy. So Apple sells loads of quality gear, and Samsung can include their 'cheap-and-nasties' in the mix.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
Crazy.
And Samsung did have great success with the SGS II, selling 5 million units (only 1 model remember) in 85 days before having any availability in the United States for that model, that's on top of all their other smartphone models.

Samsung is doing something right and their pushing out phones. Apple is also doing something right. This is not a competition, I wonder why people feel so much threatened by the success of a company different from Apple.

You may have touched on one major point, though. With Samsung as one of Apple's prime suppliers for components, Samsung also gets an inside track on what Apple is producing; information they can use to develop a directly competitive device. Now, in the world of finance this is called "Insider Trading" but in the world of manufacturing, it's called "Industrial Espionage", which is quite illegal if I remember correctly. It was industrial espionage which killed IBM as the predominant supplier of desktop PCs back in the '80s.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You may have touched on one major point, though. With Samsung as one of Apple's prime suppliers for components, Samsung also gets an inside track on what Apple is producing; information they can use to develop a directly competitive device. Now, in the world of finance this is called "Insider Trading" but in the world of manufacturing, it's called "Industrial Espionage", which is quite illegal if I remember correctly. It was industrial espionage which killed IBM as the predominant supplier of desktop PCs back in the '80s.

Ok Oliver Stone - do you have any idea how supply chains work? Just because Samsung supplies one or more parts doesn't mean they have a CLUE about anything else that Apple is doing.

If I supply your restaurant with ground meat - do I know what you're putting on the menu? All I know is that you are using ground meat.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
LOL. If manufacturer A with 10 smartphones sells more than a company with 3 smartphones , out selling is still outselling. Manufacturer A wants to provide the customer with more options. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Exactly. Samsung sells more phone versions providing the customer with more options and more choices. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact they react better on consumer demand/needs. More networks supported, screen sizes, keyboard types, etc.

Apple is offering one size fits all solution. Soviet Union had a similar goods offering. You could only buy one type of milk. Do you want no fat, low fat, lactose-free, organic? You want to much. Forget it. We know what you need. And do you also want jeans and chewing gum? No way: that's wrong :)

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Shipped does not equal sold

From what I understand

Samsung tend to count the numbers they ship
Apple tends to count the numbers sold

As such Samsung may well ship more phones than Apple, however if these sit on the shelves at the carriers/supermarkets/etc they should not count

What they really need is numbers of people who retain the phone after 1 month. I know a few people who purchased Android handsets and returned them within days, but you can be sure this counted not only as sales, but activations.

Samsung also makes a lot more than 3 models, so a better set of stats would be based per model not total volume

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
...seeing as Apple make ONE premium product phone (albeit three memory configs), whereas Samsung also make cheapie-phones which more people will buy. So Apple sells loads of quality gear, and Samsung can include their 'cheap-and-nasties' in the mix.

The iPhone 3Gs now also officially is a "cheap and nasty", even in the US where you are used to paying for a phone that comes with a two year contract (a business model that doesn't work well in Europe - here you get an iPhone 4 for one Euro with a two years contract).

Those numbers were specifically about smartphones, and now that the Chinese have entered that market, you no longer have to pay hundreds of Euros or Dollars to get a phone whose specifications kill an iPhone 3Gs in reverse gear.

Just accept the facts: The iPhone 4S can barely compete with the first generation of dual core Android smartphones and its only cool new feature is Siri -- and that is not even anything new or exciting. Apple threw a lot of money at it and released a well integrated voice assistant. If the team behind SpeakToIt would have the same financial resources and the same bucks for marketing, Siri would only produce a bored yawn in most people. Siri does not actually do anything that SpeakToIt hasn't already done more than a year ago, it only had a much larger development team which made it a good product. But it's nothing new.

Just like the whole rest of the iPhone 4S brought nothing new. Apple only released an evolutionary model that tries hard to keep up with the competition -- but Apple is no longer leading the pack. Apple's domination also is mostly an American phenomenon, they're not nearly that successful here in Europe or in other parts of the world.

shnln14

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
I love seeing the competition, helps Apple stay out of Anti-Trust problems :). All I care is that Apple continues to make great things, they don't need to always be #1 for that.

That's what i always say as well i think being number one can sometimes get to your head and quality goes down.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
GOOD! Maybe this will push them to do something really innovative instead of a spec bump. Yeah, it's great and fast (my 4S), but blow my mind, you're Apple!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Yes, I'm sure Samsung derives tons of information from Flash memory, CPUs and screens. :rolleyes:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Exactly. Samsung sells more phone versions providing the customer with more options and more choices. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact they react better on consumer demand/needs. More networks supported, screen sizes, keyboard types, etc.

Apple is offering one size fits all solution. Soviet Union had a similar goods offering. You could only buy one type of milk. Do you want no fat, low fat, lactose-free, organic? You want to much. Forget it. We know what you need. And do you also want jeans and chewing gum? No way: that's wrong :)

Or perhaps Apple is only after one (or a small subset of the) market, not the globe, similar to their strategy with their Macintosh computers.

Regardless, the option of having choice is great, though it is always hard for me to recommend the "best" phone for someone, due to the plethora of overlap on the android side of the fence. In some ways, it is quite similar to the confusing options available in heyday of the PC revolution.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yes, I'm sure Samsung derives tons of information from Flash memory, CPUs and screens. :rolleyes:

Hey - I think Apple is building another iPhone!!!

You're a genius Maxwell Smart!

;)

----------

Or perhaps Apple is only after one (or a small subset of the) market, not the globe, similar to their strategy with their Macintosh computers.

Regardless, the option of having choice is great, though it is always hard for me to recommend the "best" phone for someone, due to the plethora of overlap on the android side of the fence. In some ways, it is quite similar to the confusing options available in heyday of the PC revolution.

If that were true - if Apple was only concerned with being niche - then why all the defensive comments. I don't think Apple wants to stay niche. I don't think they ever wanted to be niche. Why else would they keep reporting how their computers are increasing marketshare?

I agree though that having CHOICE is a win-win for everyone. It breeds competition and allows users of all shapes and sizes to get a phone that works best for them.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

Except your "analogy" fails because you don't need a phone to live and you can choose another OEM. :rolleyes:

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I would hope so.... At this point Apple hadn't put out a phone in 16 months.

Indeed, I suspect this quarter will be different. Particularly if that monstrosity they highlighted the other days is going to actually be their flagship device. That thing should sell as well as the streak.

masciam

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
I really don't get why people try to justify why Samsung sold more smartphones than Apple by bashing Samsung.

I mean, if they did, good for them. If they didn't, they still sold millions, so whatever. We're not even sure since the numbers are estimates...

You guys trying to defend Apple sound absolutely ridiculous.. it's not like they pay for your bills.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Hey - I think Apple is building another iPhone!!!

You're a genius Maxwell Smart!

;)

----------

If that were true - if Apple was only concerned with being niche - then why all the defensive comments. I don't think Apple wants to stay niche. I don't think they ever wanted to be niche. Why else would they keep reporting how their computers are increasing marketshare?

I agree though that having CHOICE is a win-win for everyone. It breeds competition and allows users of all shapes and sizes to get a phone that works best for them.

I tend to agree, Apple does not intend to be a niche player in the smartphone market. Is also think they will ot sacrifice profits for marketshare. As long as they are the only ones actually making money, I think they will be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.