Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung has released a new commercial for its Galaxy S II smartphone, stepping up its direct assault on the iPhone by mocking dedicated iPhone fans who wait for hours in long lines for the launch of the latest model despite it looking identical to the previous one.

The ad plays on the excitement of iPhone fans waiting to get their hands on a new model who are then distracted by seeing passersby carrying the Samsung Galaxy S II. The iPhone fans' interest is gradually piqued, although some hold out in their apparently irrational dedication to the iPhone:
iPhone fan: "I could never get a Samsung. I'm creative."

Friend: "Dude, you're a barista."
The ad goes on to tout the Galaxy S II's large screen and 4G data capabilities, concluding with one of the Samsung users saying, "Yeah, it's a Galaxy S II. This phone...is amazing."

Article Link: Samsung Mocks iPhone Fans in New Galaxy S II Ad

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Does Samsung even have any fans? Sure people will love the Samsung Galaxy S II until a week goes by and another company makes a slightly faster Android phone.

finkmacunix

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
It's harder to say "Samsung Galaxy S II" than it is to say "Apple iPhone 4S"…

Also, what is it with these names? HTC Amazing E45, Motorola SMRTPHN R31, Samsung Universe R IV, LG Awesome T345…

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Always funny when AndroidOS phones mock iPhone 4s battery life.

Last edited:

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads were funny and honest portraying the PC as geeky, stuffy and using frustrating facts that were true while playing to Apple's strengths.

They were not insulting, mean spirited, etc. I hope Samsung sees that they are insulting the very customers they are targeting. This could backfire big time. It's a negative campaign.

alfiesred47

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
in that video there's a proper iPhone compared to a Samsung. Can they do that? Surely Apple would find some loophole about copyright or something and retaliate. But yeh I agree, they won't be winning any new customers with an offensive ad

huperniketes

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
(0, 0, 0)
Comparing Macs and PCs

You mean like the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads?

The difference is, Apple's ads compared the devices themselves, not the owners.

Apple tried this tactic of insulting users of competing products with its Lemmings ad in the 80's too. It wasn't particularly well-received.

In Samsung's case, it sounds like they and their ad agency have decided that insulting both iPhone owners and Starbucks employees, neither of which are minorities in their respective markets, is a #winning strategy. They must be inhaling Charlie's fumes.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
The missing extended edition

I'm waiting for the extended edition of the ad....where after seeing the Galaxy S II, the people in line look again and the person on the bench has another new phone.

"Why another new phone?"

"Oh, because the Galaxy S II is already out of date...I need the latest! There's a new Android phone every day and a half.....IT'S GREAT!!!"

-Kevin

alexxxhp

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
That suc@s

this ad sucks, talks about battery life :confused:, android still trying to keep their phones on longer than 4 hours without the need to plug it in...:eek:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
LOL thats funny.

Good angle on the whole "3.5G is really 4G" marketing crap.

4G is the *only* 4G, I wish carriers and manufacturers ( i.e., Apple ) would stop marketing 3.5G as if it were 4G.

AppleRealist

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
Do you honestly think they are going after the loyalists? They are going after the large number of iPhone owners whose heads aren't so far up their barista butts that they cannot see anything positive about a non-Apple product. I own an iPhone (and an iPod and an iMac) but would love a bigger screen and the Samsung delivers on that. It's a funny commercial. +1 to Samsung there.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
As others have said, I don't think this commercial would convince any Apple fan to "jump ship"; if anything it would solidify their like for Apple. I don't see this being a very effective advert.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Way to convince Apple loyalists to try your products, Samsung, by insulting them. Sure...that'll work.

People also criticized Apple's Lemmings commercial similarly. Insulting the people they were trying to attract.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
What I find interesting is that even while lampooning them, Samsung is acknowledging in their own commercial the demand and desirability for Apple products. When have we ever seen line-ups outside Samsung retailers for their newest phone or tablet?

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
i thought the ad was very funny.

My refusal to consider samsung is more based on the lack of upgradeability in software and the lack of apps, the plasticky feel, the bad support and the nonexistent store experience (i like stores) including the bad sync options, and the utter lack of class that "samsjung" has. Ofcourse i invested a lot into apps games and stuff, with i'm not going to trade in also..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.