Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ian619

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
*edit* Come to think of it, there's no way Apple will do this. They will still carry a base iPad2 with a reduced price, just like they do with the iPhone 3GS and choke out the oxygen from competitors. They aren't going to open a new product line and muddy the buyer's options just for this.

That's exactly what I think they will do. When the iPad 3 comes out I would imagine the iPad 2 slots into the "budget" role (I use that term lightly). Perhaps an 8GB iPad 2 for $300 rather than a brand new form factor. If you had a Kindle for $200 in one hand or an 8GB iPad 2 for $100 more in the other hand, which would you choose?

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
Plus it would have to be priced at $300-$350, and it seems like that space is a bit crowded with the iPod Touch starting at $200.
I don't know. You could have an iPod Touch beside a 7.85" iPad at the exact same price pretty easily. The products are quite different. iPods are for people who can't use phones yet (young).

If Apple could pull off a 7.85" iPad at $300, it could really suppress some of that Kindle Fire momentum quickly. You could have the current iPad 2 starting at $400 and the new Retina iPad at $500.

200 iPod Touch
300 7Pad
400 iPadBlur (iPad 2)
500 iPadSharp

It does seem a bit crowded for Apple, but just like I use an iPhone AND an iPad, teens and younger could easily find use for an iPod AND an iPad.

I'm starting to believe this rumor with the screen size and I don't have it all worked out, but these mock ups confirm what I suspect: the interface would still work pretty well at that size. Some apps would HAVE to adapt though. Even Apple's own Numbers and Pages might have to do some adjusting... though those are pretty good at zooming in and out for the on document widgets and are already adapted to the iPhone, so... I guess we'll see in a few months.

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
Less is less.

less-is-less.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Unless they can sell it for $200 (GLWT) it won't be competition for Fire.

Look, sometimes all people need (and WANT) is a book reader than can browse the web and play videos, for a good price. Unless Apple can compete on the price they won't have a chance of competing in that space.

Nonsense. If all someone wants is a book reader that can browse the web and play videos, then they still want to browse the web _fast_, they still want direct access to all the books and videos in their home, they still want to get books without having to pay through the nose (Amazon's big plan is to lose money on the devices and then rip you off when you buy content), and guess what, they want a device that can also fulfill their needs in the future when they figure out there is so much more than books and videos.

You are also in direct contradiction to the idiots who claim that Apple fans buy anything for any price as long as there is an Apple logo on it :D

Android taught iOS users that bigger screens are better. Is that just with phones? Tablets need to have small screens.

You got that wrong. It's the screen size on an Android device that is automatically better. At least that's what they claim.
Meanwhile Apple sells whatever they can build :)

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Nonsense. If all someone wants is a book reader that can browse the web and play videos, then they still want to browse the web _fast_, they still want direct access to all the books and videos in their home, they still want to get books without having to pay through the nose (Amazon's big plan is to lose money on the devices and then rip you off when you buy content), and guess what, they want a device that can also fulfill their needs in the future when they figure out there is so much more than books and videos.

You are also in direct contradiction to the idiots who claim that Apple fans buy anything for any price as long as there is an Apple logo on it :D

^ Maybe I'm the only one, but to me all of these products are luxury goods. You can't make a practical argument for any of them if you already own a PC capable of... you know, browsing the web. If you love books and are on a budget, take your $200 to the used book store and see how much you get, read, and sell back to them. Or here's an idea: go to the Library.

HighDesert50

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
There are a number of factors that are worth considering in the seven inch venue. 1) Apple has always targeted the educational domain -- hook them while they are young. A smaller reader sized device allows for a lightweight portability not accorded by the larger and potentially more vulnerable iPad particularly in an ElHi school or post secondary campus setting. 2) Apple has let the Touch languish while focusing on the iPhone and microcomputers hence there is a small "computing device" hole that the Android devices are now addressing -- consider, in particular, the Nook with its expandable 32GB memory. 3) There is a population that has used the Touch as a passable reader but given a larger format and relative costs, this population will likely migrate to a seven inch device particularly so when a larger library of Android apps are developed. Wait too long and Apple loses to this ever-expanding Andriod library and Apple's justification for a higher cost device loses credibility.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
The picture is wrong: using Apple nomenclature, a smaller version of an iPad would be called 'iPad mini', not 'iPad Mini'.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Eventually different sized iPads will happen.

I probably should say different iOS devices. I suspect that one of Apples goals will be a foldable device.

In any event I'm not sure why people would ever think that we will only have one iPad size. IOS is a runaway success with plenty of room for other devices.

Not just you.

After getting very heavy use on my iPad over the last two weeks while on a business trip I too would like one thats bigger. As I type this on my 15" MBP I think size that or slightly smaller would be great.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
a 15/20" tablet? What have you been smoking?

Every creative professional I know that has an iPad loves it, it's potential, but has at some point expressed the same thing. A full size iPad for drawing and design would be completely awesome to use in the office, and invite more and more serious design & illusation apps, changing the way industries work.

Sure would be great to have a consumer/consumption model for the punters, and a big boy model for creative pros.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
that's a pretty biased/unsubstantiated comment considering that much of Amazon's music and book prices are below Apple's.

We have a Nook and an iPad here, and, maybe it's just me, but iBooks look significantly better than anything we bought on the Nook. I have used a Kindle a bit, and would have to say it's probably worse than our Nook as far as the scans.

So, my wife buys books with lots of pictures and diagrams on the iPad, and trash on the Nook. Sookie stack house? NOOK. Hawking's Grand Design, iPad. Did I pay more, sure. Did I get more? I think so.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
We have a Nook and an iPad here, and, maybe it's just me, but iBooks look significantly better than anything we bought on the Nook. I have used a Kindle a bit, and would have to say it's probably worse than our Nook as far as the scans.

So, my wife buys books with lots of pictures and diagrams on the iPad, and trash on the Nook. Sookie stack house? NOOK. Hawking's Grand Design, iPad. Did I pay more, sure. Did I get more? I think so.

My comment - nor the original posters - was about quality. The OP was implying that Amazon was overcharging on content.

And book scans will really only apply to current and past books. I'm pretty sure post publishers aren't scanning materials but using electronic versions.

Listen - I love how books look on my iPad. But for long reads - I don't like the iPad screen. Hurts my eyes. I much prefer long reads on my Kindle.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm just going to enjoy watching the many Apple fans who post again and again that Apple won't make a smaller tablet as Steve said so, gradually change their mind around (as per normal) if/when Apple does release a smaller model.

It's funny to watch it happen :D

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
The Kindle Fire is selling well for one reason. It appeals to cheapskates because of the low price. There's nothing much else that can be said for it. Even if Apple were to sell a high-quality 7" tablet, it couldn't compete with Amazon at a $199 entry point. It would cost at least $100 more. Kindle Fire users are giving up practically everything else just to buy a low-priced tablet. They probably don't care about usability. Amazon has no interest in high-quality hardware. Just give consumers cheap hardware to move Amazon media content. That's Amazon's financial strategy.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
No doubt Google will copy the hell out of whatever will do anyway, so might as well mock up an Andriod look alike.

I personally wouldn't buy a 7" iPad, I'm more than happy with the iPad 2

Hard to believe your post got downvoted on MR:rolleyes:

The more screen real estate the better, if you can carry around a 7" iPad surely it can't be more difficult to carry a 10".

I like the size of my iPads, had the iPad1 and 2 since launch. I tried the Playbook for fun, but it wasn't fun, the smaller screen was only art of the reason of course :)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The Kindle Fire is selling well for one reason. It appeals to cheapskates because of the low price. There's nothing much else that can be said for it. Even if Apple were to sell a high-quality 7" tablet, it couldn't compete with Amazon at a $199 entry point. It would cost at least $100 more. Kindle Fire users are giving up practically everything else just to buy a low-priced tablet. They probably don't care about usability. Amazon has no interest in high-quality hardware. Just give consumers cheap hardware to move Amazon media content. That's Amazon's financial strategy.

Apple has never been interested in competing with other devices price-wise.
They have always done what they thought was best; no 'cheaper versions'.
Then, Apple will convince you their device is the best, and that unless you buy an Apple device, your life will be incomplete.

So far, Apple has succeeded at it. And so far, it seems they are right most of the time.

Last edited:

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
Samsung and others' failure is due to the too wide range of products

it doesn't make any sense to have a tablet smaller than the actual ipad

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Hard to believe your post got downvoted on MR:rolleyes:

The more screen real estate the better, if you can carry around a 7" iPad surely it can't be more difficult to carry a 10".

I like the size of my iPads, had the iPad1 and 2 since launch. I tried the Playbook for fun, but it wasn't fun, the smaller screen was only art of the reason of course :)

Well, girls want something they can fit in their purse. A smaller screen is not for everyone. I have no trouble carrying my iPad the way it is; for me, it has the perfect display size.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Small Screen iPad

Android taught iOS users that bigger screens are better. Is that just with phones? Tablets need to have small screens.

Just phones and anything larger than 4.3/4.5 on a phone is toooooo big.
Tablets need two sizes 10 and a 7.

i won't buy the current iPad.
We have new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mini and an 8-Core MacPro and 3 iPods in my house. No iPads. Want to know why? Too Big.
I want something that fits in a small backpack or my wife's purse.
NookColor or Kindle Fire size is ideal.

When there is an iPad with a 7" screen, sign me up.
When there is an iPhone with a 4" screen, sign me up.
Until then, I'll live with my Mac and iPod products.
But my phone is a Droid Razr and my tablet is a NookColor with CM7 installed.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
they still want to get books without having to pay through the nose (Amazon's big plan is to lose money on the devices and then rip you off when you buy content), and guess what, they want a device that can also fulfill their needs in the future when they figure out there is so much more than books and videos.
Uhhh that doesn't really make any sense considering how cheap stuff is on Amazon vs Apple (oh yeh you did know that Apple charges more $$ for music, books, app's etc right? ;) ) . I just got my GF a Kindle Fire, why? Well she liked it better then the iPad, iPad reminded her of just an big iPod Touch. The KF is more portable and she liked the size better to just kick back with and use. Fits right in her purse or bag(s) where the iPad would be too large.

Plus we buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and have Prime, Prime gives you access to ton's of free stuff (including thousands of movies and tv shows). Nevermind that Prime isn't expensive and pays for itself quickly with the savings on shipping since you get free 2 day shipping.

If they come out with a smaller iPad, seems pointless to do 7.85", they should do a 7" to compete more against the others in that range, vs staying closer to the iPads 10" size. Like mentioned above, tablets should be spread at 7 or 10 inches.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.