Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
"The rationale behind the smaller form factor is for Apple to better compete against the new 7" Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon."

Compete against a device that they've already far outclassed? We don't even know how many of these Amazon actually sold and what % share they have. The Kindle Fire has been a massive disappointment.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

Which is exactly why i'd rather buy a Kindle Fire than an iPad2. I have an iPad2 sitting 3 feet from me right now. Its been in my home for what now, 2 months? Total time of use? 15 minutes, if even that. None which were for personal benefit. If i had a Fire (or 7" iPad) I'd use it every day, for hours.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This is getting annoying now. It seems I read all these different articles about the Fire and iPad but I still don't know why some, including this article, persist to compare the Fire to the iPad?
If these comparisons are made then you must concede the Fire as the better device due to its much better value. Or stop making any comparisons.

And a 7" iPad is still going to be too big judging by the 4:3 ratio of the 8" Archos tablet, it's not pocket friendly at all as its more square.

Sure 7" iPad is welcome but it's no doubt high price will still rule it out as a comparable product to the Fire.

BernyBoyd

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
Why not iPod HD

Why not an iPod Touch HD, with a screen size of around 6 to 7 inchs with the iPhone/iPod touch retina screen resolution ??? This way nobody would go against Steve's idea that a smaller screen for a tablet is too small! Smaller borders would also make the device more portable...

Last edited:

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
"MacQuest
112 months ago
From the news report above:

"However he [SJ] does see potential to use small device to drive a TV as the presentation vehicle."

I call "iPad" [tablet device] !!:)"

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
8" iPhone

Maybe the idea is that Siri is so good that you can do all of your typical phone oriented activity with a bluetooth headset and then whip out the 8" iPad-ish phone device when you need to do some mobile computing.

Perhaps Apple would have a headset with just enough of a clever tweak to warrant many people going with it instead of a third party headset and also make a trendy shoulder strap to hold it that everyone will want (I'm thinking like a shoulder gun holster! Très chic!)

Maybe not, but this thread is full of interesting ideas for the form factor and the future of iPad/iPod/iPhone. Apple has some room to really try some interesting changes in the product lines and, knowing Apple, it will.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Compete against a device that they've already far outclassed? We don't even know how many of these Amazon actually sold and what % share they have. The Kindle Fire has been a massive disappointment.
huh??? They've been selling an average of 1mm a week for the past few weeks... sure sounds like a massive disappointment to me:rolleyes:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
If I want to use a smaller screen, I simply use my iPhone. Reading and using the larger iPad is a lot more comfortable (using my fat fingers) and holding at arms length than holding the iPhone at the tip of my nose, but the iPhone easily fits in my pocket. A 7" iPad is a lousy compromise since it's too small to easily finger, and too large to fit in my pocket. Those that purchase current 7" product do not do so because of the 7" size.

Besides, creating a 7" iPad would canabalize both product's sales. Apple shouldn't try to compete against itself. They'll loose no mater what.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
10" is ideal size for me. I'll stick with original iPad size.

Edit:

i'm just stating my personal preference. I'm not stopping anyone from wanting one or stopping Apple from making one. Please, negative voter, go see a doctor.

Last edited:

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Every creative professional I know that has an iPad loves it, it's potential, but has at some point expressed the same thing. A full size iPad for drawing and design would be completely awesome to use in the office, and invite more and more serious design & illusation apps, changing the way industries work.

Sure would be great to have a consumer/consumption model for the punters, and a big boy model for creative pros.

Sell your car, buy a Surface 2.0. Now thats some truly insane stuff ; )

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
huh??? They've been selling an average of 1mm a week for the past few weeks... sure sounds like a massive disappointment to me:rolleyes:

Too bad they are selling crappy devices. When i saw quite a few reviews on youtube i thought they are joking and when i tried it myself first thought was WTF.

It's horrible.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

His ass, most likely. KF is Amazons best selling product since launch (10 weeks by now?). In total, they are selling 1M kindles per week. Wouldn't be surprised if they have sold at least 2 million Fires already. Leaked pre-orders point in this direction too (250k in the first week, if i remember correctly).

----------

He hasn't got any. The Kindle Fire sells over 1 million units a week and has great customer feedback.

No, that is Kindles. Not KF. KF is the best selling of the bunch though.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Not necessary for Apple to compete with a 7" POS from Amazon.

If Amazon's Kindle Fire Is So Hot, Why Is It Still In Stock?
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/12...-so-hot-why-is-it-still-in-stock/?iid=T_Blogs

LOL!

BTW- I do like Amazon a lot , especially Prime! I buy a ton of stuff for my business weekly at Amazon over Office Max, Best Buy, Micro Center, Target. But no way this Kindle will sway me from an iPad.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
If I want to use a smaller screen, I simply use my iPhone. Reading and using the larger iPad is a lot more comfortable (using my fat fingers) and holding at arms length than holding the iPhone at the tip of my nose, but the iPhone easily fits in my pocket. A 7" iPad is a lousy compromise since it's too small to easily finger, and too large to fit in my pocket. Those that purchase current 7" product do not do so because of the 7" size.

Besides, creating a 7" iPad would canabalize both product's sales. Apple shouldn't try to compete against itself. They'll loose no mater what.

If i were to buy a 7" device, i would do so primarily because of its size. Why else would you buy one?

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
We don't even know how many of these Amazon actually sold and what % share they have. The Kindle Fire has been a massive disappointment.
Those two sentences are mutually exclusive unless you are only talking about you're own personal disappointment. Just saying.

My personal estimation is that Amazon just got on to the starting line this Holiday season and early next year we will see what the real product is going to be. Amazon has an ecosystem that overlaps some with Apple's but with similar strength overall and a media consumption device is a perfect way to leverage it into the future. Amazon isn't just going to give up even if the sales numbers are lower than some expect.

In many ways it's good for us consumers that Amazon is there to compete with Apple in that space, but I think both (and all) are really fighting against the content providers and the old way of selling. Except Google which seems content to make money by putting ads on everything, for better or worse. (Personally, I'm tired of ads, though I like many things Google.)

nickgri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
size matters

It's too bad there is not a way yet to have the ipad fold in half or quarters and then not barely see the fold line when opened-carrying it around would be a lot more convenient. Or have a pico projector built into a smaller unit. Why not integrate the phone?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Makes sense unless they can double sales of smaller iPad compared to bigger iPad.

Doesn't work like that.

----------

It's too bad there is not a way yet to have the ipad fold in half or quarters and then not barely see the fold line when opened-carrying it around would be a lot more convenient. Or have a pico projector built into a smaller unit. Why not integrate the phone?

But there is (re: fold). Apple just haven't "invented" it yet.

----------

This is getting annoying now. It seems I read all these different articles about the Fire and iPad but I still don't know why some, including this article, persist to compare the Fire to the iPad?
If these comparisons are made then you must concede the Fire as the better device due to its much better value. Or stop making any comparisons.

And a 7" iPad is still going to be too big judging by the 4:3 ratio of the 8" Archos tablet, it's not pocket friendly at all as its more square.

Sure 7" iPad is welcome but it's no doubt high price will still rule it out as a comparable product to the Fire.

I agree. the 4:3 ratio is a problem. 16:10 would be optimal in my book.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Too bad they are selling crappy devices. When i saw quite a few reviews on youtube i thought they are joking and when i tried it myself first thought was WTF.

It's horrible.
huh?? I have one for the GF, she preferred it to the iPad when I asked which one she wanted. Exactly how is it horrible? Considering I actually have one, two different devices. Compared to the other smaller 7" tablets it kicks ass.

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
If i were to buy a 7" device, i would do so primarily because of its size. Why else would you buy one?
I'm guessing price? Software? Android tablets only seem to sell when the price hits a certain point and it either has to be at a loss on a larger device or near loss on a 7" device to sell. So, if you've got $200 to spend on a tablet, a fire sale or a 7" inch tablet is you're only choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.