Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BBC reports that Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design, Jonathan Ive, has been awarded a knighthood in the United Kingdom.
Mr Ive, who can now style himself Sir Jonathan, has been made a Knight Commander of the British Empire (KBE).
Ive began work at Apple in 1992, but found himself frustated during the early years before Jobs' return. Ive is seen as responsible for many of the iconic designs coming out of Apple over the past decade. Jobs described Ive as his "spiritual partner" and had given him complete operational freedom at Apple.

Mercury News quotes a statement from Ive, reacting to the news.
"I am keenly aware that I benefit from a wonderful tradition in the UK of designing and making,'' Ive, 44, said in a statement. "To be recognized with this honour is absolutely thrilling and I am both humbled and sincerely grateful. I discovered at an early age that all I've ever wanted to do is design. I feel enormously fortunate that I continue to be able to design and make products with a truly remarkable group of people here at Apple."

Article Link: Apple's Jonathan Ive Awarded Knighthood

Farthen

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
Germany
Awesome

A knight… like the people from the medieval times? When will he go on his first crusade? And most importantly: How does his armor look like, does he have a proper war horse and: Who is his squire?

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Cool, he can now join my other two favourite product designers: Sir Paul Smith and Sir James Dyson :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
A knight… like the people from the medieval times? When will he go on his first crusade? And most importantly: How does his armor look like, does he have a proper war horse and: Who is his squire?

Imagine what he could do to make armors simpler and more efficient if he designed his own armor! :D

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Can someone explain why knighthood is important and what it is for the American readers?

*edit* Thanks everyone for downrating my comment. I didn't know Americans are supposed to know everything about Great Britain

Last edited:

fdv

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
His armor looks nice and slick, but it shows scratches and fingerprints really easily.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Can someone explain why knighthood is important and what it is for the American readers?

Well Ive is British, and a Knighthood is one of the biggest honours our country can bestow upon someone, recognising excellence in their work, and their impact in the world. Its a pretty big deal to British people who receive an award like this. Plus you can replace Mr with Sir...

The relevance to international readers on this site is purely news relating to a senior and well known Apple employee.

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
This is "honor" is so *** stupid.

I am ashamed to be a human sometimes

Last edited by a moderator:

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007

Maybe respect for other traditions, not to mention what it means to Ive himself.
But I guess 'American Exceptionalism' trumps that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.