Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well Ive is British, and a Knighthood is one of the biggest honours our country can bestow upon someone, recognising excellence in their work, and their impact in the world. Its a pretty big deal to British people who receive an award like this.

Exactly. The US doesn't have knighthood, but it has other awards to recognize exceptional achievement. For instance, Steve Jobs was awarded one called "National Medal of Technology."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs#Honors_and_public_recognition

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I am ashamed to be a human sometimes

Go Ive!!!

He definitely deserved it. He had an enormous impact on design.

Also to all those saying they're "ashamed to be human because someone got an award" grow up and get over yourselves. Be glad there is happy news for once. Don't worry we didn't forget the tons of tragedies happening all over the world, but its nice to hear something positive for a change since positive things happen too and are just as news worthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
I wonder, how is Sam-clone.idev-sung going to copy, steal or otherwise copy this award?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I am ashamed to be a human sometimes

What is wrong with you? Do you lack the ability to be happy for someone other than yourself or are you just a bitter human being who by never achieving anything meaningful must insult and minimize others who are talented and do something meaningful.

Last edited by a moderator:

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Yes, jealousy is part of being human.

Jealous of this stupid man-made farce of an award? Ummmm no. No care for Brits or their made up royal family BS....

Am I jealous of his talent? Sure!!! Would I like his money? Of course!!!

Jealous of this farce award? No!

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Along with Moshe Safdie, this guy is one of my Design heroes, yeah !!!
Congrats Jonny !!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I thought you couldn't use the first name? I thought it had to be Sir Ive or Sir Jonathan Ive? :p

(I could be waaay wrong as I am not from that part of the world).

No, it's lords who go by last names.

While I understand the concept of the awards, it's probably about time to modernize it and eliminate the titles of nobility (which harken back to a fixed system of classes, almost like castes, back in medieval days). In the US, the highest civilian honor is the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The highest military honor is the Congressional Medal of Honor. These are simply awards that don't convey fancy titles or letters after names. They are also awarded far less frequently.

enzos

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Sir Jonny

I thought you couldn't use the first name? I thought it had to be Sir Ive or Sir Jonathan Ive? :p

(I could be waaay wrong as I am not from that part of the world).

Yes, you're way wrong, it should be the first name. Sir Jonny or Sir Jonathan (Ive), never Sir Ive. Of course, he's remains (Mr) Jonny Ive to Americans but Sir Jonathan if he's being formally addressed in a Commonwealth country.

Silly relict of a bygone age but nonetheless currently the highest honour that can be bestowed on a British citizen (for outstanding service, etc.).

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Well done Sir. Thoroughly deserved honour.

If I'm not mistaken, he was already CBE, and now KBE. Not bad.

Since this is something valid in the Commonwealth, I can't see the reason for some people here to get so flustered and up-in-arms about this. It's not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.