Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Respect for achievement is hardly a relic, especially when Her Majesty makes choices as good as this one. I can think of no one better qualified than Sir Jony to receive his country's highest award.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Anyway, congratulations to Jony Ive. Keep up the good work, and please stay at Apple for a long time.

----------

Respect for achievement is hardly a relic, especially when Her Majesty makes choices as good as this one. I can think of no one better qualified than Sir Jony to receive his country's highest award.

Except "Her Majesty" does not actually make the choice. She just rubber stamps what the Prime Minister or some civil servant decides.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I would just like to say that not all of us Americans are so ignorant and disrespectful, only a select few that give us a bad name.

BTW I think this is pretty awesome as Sir Jon has done great work which is evidenced by pretty much every Apple device in the past 15 years

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Well Ive is British, and a Knighthood is one of the biggest honours our country can bestow upon someone, recognising excellence in their work, and their impact in the world. Its a pretty big deal to British people who receive an award like this. Plus you can replace Mr with Sir...

The relevance to international readers on this site is purely news relating to a senior and well known Apple employee.

Thanks.

And thank you to everyone who marked down my comment. I didn't know Americans were supposed to know every life style about British culture.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
1) He definitely deserved it. He had an enormous impact on design.

2) Also to all those saying they're "ashamed to be human because someone got an award" grow up and get over yourselves. Be glad there is happy news for once. Don't worry we didn't forget the tons of tragedies happening all over the world, but its nice to hear something positive for a change since positive things happen too and are just as news worthy.

1) I could not agree more :)

2) Very well said!

Those who are so self centered, living in their own little world, are in for the slap of reality at some point in life. When that day comes, and it will, suddenly things will take on a whole new perspective. They'll have a lot of growing up to do, and a lot of work ahead.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
To be honest, the continued celebration of class & status of the royal family, the queen, and knights is nothing more than farce. As an outsider (i.e. non Brit), I think Brits often overdo it.

However, Ive's award is a recognition of his accomplishments, not his class or status. This is why it is an extremely honorable award, it shows respect for a man based on what he's accomplished through hard work. Millions of people feast their eyes on masterpieces of his work daily. This is why he more than deserves "official" recognition for it.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Why all the discussion about the UK's class and honours systems? Debating the name of the award, just because it has 'British Empire' its title? Okay, so it harps back to a time of Kings, Queens, Knights and Crusades but a world without tradition would be a very dull world indeed.

This is simply the act of a country recognising and honouring one of its citizens (or subjects, as we are in the UK) for his achievements. So well done to Jony Ive - it's thoroughly deserved.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
I thought you couldn't use the first name? I thought it had to be Sir Ive or Sir Jonathan Ive? :p

(I could be waaay wrong as I am not from that part of the world).

Not sure of protocol and wouldn't want to seriously demean the Title, but this article from BBC online had "Sir Jonathan", but I just cut his name short...

If I am wrong it is only because I am an American mutt... Half British on my mother's side... Nottingham born, Kempston, Bedford raised!
/
/
/

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Ive so deserves this. He is probably the best at industrial design in the whole world. A pure genius. And of recent the media makes people Jobs designed everything at Apple. So not true. I think Ive leaves Jobs in the dust in the design category. Yes Jobs is important for other things too, creating Apple, hiring the right people, the right management at Apple etc etc.

But for design alone, Ive is simply the best. And he deserves this award. Congratulations Sir Jonathon.

For US people who don't get this award. It's just like your Medal of Freedom or Presidential Citizens Medal. It's just a way to regonise the talents of some extra-ordinary people on this planet.

Australians can be Knighted too. But we in Australia have Australian of the year and Order of Australia medal mostly. If you are an exceptional Australian you can get one of those awards.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Not british co.?

A little out of place, i think, since Apple is an American company. I cold have unerstood nighthood if Ive brought his talents to a British Co.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
A little out of place, i think, since Apple is an American company. I cold have unerstood nighthood if Ive brought his talents to a British Co.

Wrong. He is British. And therefore can get it. It does not matter where he works or who owns the company he works for.

I wonder if Ive shaved or wore a suit and tie to the knighthood ceremony. Cause I see him as an unshaven t-shirt kinda guy. Heck even to the Apple Steve Jobs memorial event he didn't shave and wore a t-shirt.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

got a feeling he is developing something "insanely great" that we have no idea of

Aussieiphone

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
His stare is way too intense...

On a related note, royalty, LOL. (oh yes, not a fan of the modern 'monarchy')

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.