Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
There is also not an app for turning your car into a spaceship. :rolleyes:

(If I lost you here, it's because what you are asking can't be done)

If you believe this can't be done, you're wrong. Apple won't allow it. I would love this feature. I'm not giving up my iPhone because of it, but it seems to me this feature should have been implemented when imessage was developed.

And for all you people saying "go get an android then", you need to realize that's it's perfectly normal to have a device you like and still criticize certain aspects of its operation. AND it's ok to be critical of Apple. I know some of you can't fathom that....

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
If you believe this can't be done, you're wrong. Apple won't allow it. I would love this feature. I'm not giving up my iPhone because of it, but it seems to me this feature should have been implemented when imessage was developed.

And for all you people saying "go get an android then", you need to realize that's it's perfectly normal to have a device you like and still criticize certain aspects of its operation. AND it's ok to be critical of Apple. I know some of you can't fathom that....
Exactly! These are the people who any time someone says anything unflattering about their beloved phone they rush to the defense of it. Instead of demanding innovation they excuse the lack of it.

You're sitting at the computer... phone is charging across the room. You hear it beep with a text, but are too lazy to walk the few feet to get it.
With your logic then why even have most of the things we have....
Why have an alarm on the phone when you can just go across the room and set an alarm on your alarm clock?
Why have a browser on the phone when you could just use your computer?
Why have a weather app when you could just look it up online?
Why have a bluetooth headset when I can hold the phone?
I have smart lighting in the house and can control my lights with the computer or remote, but why have that when I could always get up and turn lights on or off?

You may live in just your room, but I actually have a home, and might have forgotten and left my phone downstairs or upstairs. I use a bluetooth headset so I don't have to take my phone with me throughout the house. So Yes it's extremely convenient to be able to text from the laptop or my desktop since I have a computer in every room.

----------

Um, why **** would you want to use a computer to send text messages? Why not just use your ****ing phone???

See the above response. Get of your small bubble. Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it isn't useful.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
There might be malware on the android market but it's not on my phone. Its called having basic security knowledge :)

It's how I've got by on windows for years..

that might be ok for a nerd like you but the average Joe just wants a smartphone because they want social networking, internet, mail, pictures etc... why should they learn how to deal with those things? if you are ok with that than all is good... I think I'm staying away from those unsecure phones,apps,OS...

why should anyone bare with viruses and malware on 2012 gadgets? fail...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Um, why **** would you want to use a computer to send text messages? Why not just use your ****ing phone???

I think he wants to be able to use the computer to send and receive texts through his main number alongside using the phone to do so.

----------

that might be ok for a nerd like you but the average Joe just wants a smartphone because they want social networking, internet, mail, pictures etc... why should they learn how to deal with those things? if you are ok with that than all is good... I think I'm staying away from those unsecure phones,apps,OS...

One does not need to be a nerd, my friend. Get official apps and you will be 100% safe. Once you start buying stuff from random third parties (ie a twitter client from johnnystealyourmoneyinudstries) is when you need to be more careful. Problem is, there are a lot of stupid people out there that download everything under the sun. How many people do you think click on the "you won a million dollars" popups? Answer: a ton... or else they wouldn't exist.

----------

Please read my other posts. The app the OP speaks of is available, on Apple's appstore, only not stateside... I am the last to run and defend Apple, just read through various other posts of mine, but thanks for the generalization.

Here it is, in case you missed it:

Reading about mySMS, it still implies that you are using the online resources of your carrier to send the text. So... I was not wrong, even though you so badly want me to be.

At the end of the day, this isn't an innate feature the Android phone you speak of has. It is a downloadable app, and of course this is fine. WHy we don't have that same app on the iPhone is beyond me. Did Apple not pass it? I don't know. If that's the case, you have right to complain (in my eyes). If not, complain to mysms for not releasing this on the iPhone.

EDIT: It seems to be available for iPhone too... just not stateside. http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mysms-sms-app/id428228588 Another thing that makes me believe it's our lovely US carriers at work...

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

You act like people are stupid. A lot of people know how to deal with viruses because they've had to on pcs. Yes there are people who don't, but a lot of people do.

Not everybody is like "oooh pretty picture!!!" *click*

Give people credit.

Because I don't need to be mollycoddled. I'd rather have to contend with malware than be told what apps can and can't do on MY smartphone.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Exactly! These are the people who any time someone says anything unflattering about their beloved phone they rush to the defense of it. Instead of demanding innovation they excuse the lack of it.

With your logic then why even have most of the things we have....
Why have an alarm on the phone when you can just go across the room and set an alarm on your alarm clock?
Why have a browser on the phone when you could just use your computer?
Why have a weather app when you could just look it up online?
Why have a bluetooth headset when I can hold the phone?
I have smart lighting in the house and can control my lights with the computer or remote, but why have that when I could always get up and turn lights on or off?

You may live in just your room, but I actually have a home, and might have forgotten and left my phone downstairs or upstairs. I use a bluetooth headset so I don't have to take my phone with me throughout the house. So Yes it's extremely convenient to be able to text from the laptop or my desktop since I have a computer in every room.

----------

See the above response. Get of your small bubble. Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it isn't useful.

Oh God, is this going to turn into yet another android is superior thread that lasts 99 pages?

Sorry, been using computers since the late 70's dude, never needed to send a text message to someone via the computer.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Oh God, is this going to turn into yet another android is superior thread that lasts 99 pages?

Sorry, been using computers since the late 70's dude, never needed to send a text message to someone via the computer.

The fact that you have never had a reason to send a text from the computer for the last forty years doesn't make it an illegitimate request for someone else...

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Luckily the iPhone wasn't created just for you. If it was it'd probably have a dedicated "****" button on the keyboard.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I didn't read the whole thread as its just too frustrating but you can do most of what you want with the iPhone.

First of all I use Google Voice and I ported my phone number TO GV. When I text from my MBP it shows my phone number, not my GV number. When I make call from either my MBP or my iPhone it always shows my number.

As for browsing on the iPhone and sending the web page to my MBP I use Grazing browser. It works perfectly. You can push to your Mac or iPad.

And yes you can update OTA and sync iTunes via wifi.

Hope that helps.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011

You were sending text messages in the 70's..hell even the 80's? LMAO :eek:

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If you're so lazy you can't get up from the computer chair and respond to a text message on your phone, then the least of your problems is the App Store.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
To the people who asked the OP why he would want to be able to do something like text from the computer it really is very convenient. As someone who actually uses cloud texting I can tell you that not having to go get my phone every single time I get a text is great. Like the OP I don't take my phone all over the house with me either. When I talk on the phone I use a bluetooth headset also. I typically leave my phone on a charger, so if I happen to be in another part of the house, it's nice that I can receive and respond to text messages without having to go get my phone. It is extremely convenient.

On another note it is funny to me the differences in attitudes on a site like this versus sites like xda. On xda when someone points out a feature that their phone doesn't have that is present on another phone, people put their heads together and figure out how to bring that functionality to their device. On this site when someone points out a feature they don't have that is present on a different device, people respond with "why do you need that?", "go get a *insert device here*", or "I don't need to be able to *insert feature here*". Why the difference?

I mentioned this in another thread recently. There is a similar vibe on the official apple forums. If you discuss a feature that's not present you get replies saying you can always get an android phone. :confused:

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
I didn't read the whole thread as its just too frustrating but you can do most of what you want with the iPhone.

First of all I use Google Voice and I ported my phone number TO GV. When I text from my MBP it shows my phone number, not my GV number. When I make call from either my MBP or my iPhone it always shows my number.

That's quite a bit of trouble to do something that you should be able to do with ease. Porting your number now means you have two phone numbers. It also means that on outgoing calls you have to use an app to make the correct ID show on your outgoing calls. Then there's the issue that Google voice doesn't do mms, so if you want to deal with a picture message you have to use a different phone number. I'm sorry but that seems incredibly inefficient and clunky.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I use Google Voice and I ported my phone number TO GV. When I text from my MBP it shows my phone number, not my GV number. When I make call from either my MBP or my iPhone it always shows my number.

Sprint is very accommodating about porting to Google Voice (personal experience). Are AT&T and Verizon? I ask, because I am not at all sure.

----------

That's quite a bit of trouble to do something that you should be able to do with ease. Porting your number now means you have two phone numbers. It also means that on outgoing calls you have to use an app to make the correct ID show on your outgoing calls. Then there's the issue that Google voice doesn't do mms, so if you want to deal with a picture message you have to use a different phone number. I'm sorry but that seems incredibly inefficient and clunky.

You don't have to use an app to make things show up properly when making calls at all. You just make the call and that's that. MMS, you certainly have me there. Here's to hoping they add the feature soon in the future. I think the bottom line here is that there is an answer to the free texting from your ACTUAL phone number dilemma... sort of... just not the answer that everyone wants to hear is all.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

It also doesn't work outside of the us.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
If you're so lazy you can't get up from the computer chair and respond to a text message on your phone, then the least of your problems is the App Store.

With that logic, then there's no reason for people to have a bluetooth headset because they could always hold the phone. In case you didn't know, technology's purpose is to make life easier. If I don't have to get up and deal with a second device and can handle everything on one device that is convenient. In case you didn't know, that's the whole point of convergent devices like smartphones! With your line of thinking there's no reason to have convergent devices because people shouldn't be so "lazy" that they can't go use a different device to accomplish the same task.

----------

It also doesn't work outside of the us.

Good point!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

It's not about laziness. It is about efficiency and productivity too. Some people use texts for work, and I mean HEAVILY. Full keyboard > thumb pecking...

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
No offense but that is a horrible solution. Why would I want to change my number from a number that I've used for 10 years so that I can use my computer to send a receive texts? That makes no sense. This is a capability the iphone should have. There's no reason that it shouldn't be capable of cloud text.

If you have Sprint, you can change your Google voice number to match your mobile number. I did and it works great. Give you call screening as well.

You can also use MMS with Google voice and Sprint.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
With that logic, then there's no reason for people to have a bluetooth headset because they could always hold the phone. In case you didn't know, technology's purpose is to make life easier. If I don't have to get up and deal with a second device and can handle everything on one device that is convenient. In case you didn't know, that's the whole point of convergent devices like smartphones! With your line of thinking there's no reason to have convergent devices because people shouldn't be so "lazy" that they can't go use a different device to accomplish the same task.

And with your line of thinking, it seems no other smartphone option exists. If TC is so bothered by this "problem," there are 150+ Android phones for him to leave to. In fact, I encourage him to. Natural selection at its finest.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
You don't have to use an app to make things show up properly when making calls at all. You just make the call and that's that. MMS, you certainly have me there. Here's to hoping they add the feature soon in the future. I think the bottom line here is that there is an answer to the free texting from your ACTUAL phone number dilemma... sort of... just not the answer that everyone wants to hear is all.

No you would need an app. What the other guy suggested would be having your cell number ported over to google voice. This means that the number you have now will become your google voice number. This also means that your cell number would have to change. So if you made a call like normal, your new cell number would be showing up, not the number you ported over to google voice. In order for the Google voice number to show up, you'd have to either dial the google voice number (the one you ported out) and go through the menu, or use a google voice app. Incoming calls would have to be forwarded to the new cell phone number. That is a heck of a lot of trouble to go through, and is very inefficient and clunky. I personally would not be will to port my number out AND have to either call a number and go through a menu or use an app every time I wanted to make a call. That's horribly inconvenient.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
And with your line of thinking, it seems no other smartphone option exists. If TC is so bothered by this "problem," there are 150+ Android phones for him to leave to. In fact, I encourage him to. Natural selection at its finest.

That seems to be the general consensus around here so far as improvements are concerned. I got told the same thing in my widgets thread.

Not sure why you guys are so against improvements.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
If you have Sprint, you can change your Google voice number to match your mobile number. I did and it works great. Give you call screening as well.

You can also use MMS with Google voice and Sprint.
Yeah I've heard about that. Unfortunately that's only available on Sprint.

It's not about laziness. It is about efficiency and productivity too. Some people use texts for work, and I mean HEAVILY. Full keyboard > thumb pecking...
Exactly! Besides, if I'm already on my computer, isn't it much simpler for me to just click a window a respond to a message than to drop what I'm doing, and go get my phone (especially if the phone is in a different part of the house). Also, another time it came in handy was over the holidays. My girl spent the weekend with me, and her phone went out so she used my phone. While she was on my phone, I was able to still send text messages to people though she was on the phone talking. True enough that scenario doesn't arrive often, it was nice to be able to do it when the situation did arrive.

----------

That seems to be the general consensus around here so far as improvements are concerned. I got told the same thing in my widgets thread.

Not sure why you guys are so against improvements.

Apparently there are a number of people here that seem to think if Apple didn't do it then it doesn't need to be done. Funny thing is after Apple does it, they then act like it's the greatest thing ever, and say "but Apple did it right". :rolleyes:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I constantly see posts on here where people always are saying this phone can do everything the others can do. Well as it turns out that isn't true. And the more I use my phone the more I find out how much it can't do, and yes it's disappointing.

You can't believe everything that you read on the tubes. Especially on a forum dedicated to Apple. Before buying a phone I would try-before-I-buy.

I've seriously considered picking up a galaxy nexus, but there are things I don't like about the phone. There are also programs that I would immediately change. I'm not going to base my decision solely on reviews and forum posts.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Sprint is very accommodating about porting to Google Voice (personal experience). Are AT&T and Verizon? I ask, because I am not at all sure.
From what I understand you can but it's a bit more involved. Sprint does make it very easy and it is very useful and convenient to have it set up that way.

A few months ago I read an article on one of the tech sites where one of the writers went through the process of porting his number to GV. I believe it was Verizon but I'm not 100% sure.

I know he had to go into Verizon and explain in detail what he wanted. It's no different than moving your number to a new carrier.

I think what had to do was ask for a new number first so that his account wasn't closed. When his original number was released it was ported to GV.

It does sound like a pain in the arse but if you like Google's services it's worth it.

I also think there was a step where he contacted Google before doing it. I think because Google has to request the number.

Hope that helps. I'm sure if you do some research you could find more info in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.