Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
You can't believe everything that you read on the tubes. Especially on a forum dedicated to Apple. Before buying a phone I would try-before-I-buy.

I've seriously considered picking up a galaxy nexus, but there are things I don't like about the phone. There are also programs that I would immediately change. I'm not going to base my decision solely on reviews and forum posts.

Well I will admit that I thought the iphone would be much better than it turned out to be. I probably got caught in the hype a little bit. But truth be told at first during the honeymoon period I thought it was great. But the more I continued to use the phone, the more I started to notice how it keeps coming up short. It was great initially, but as time went on and I used it more, I just keep seeing more and more that it really is lacking in several areas. Now I have a decision to make.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I mentioned this in another thread recently. There is a similar vibe on the official apple forums. If you discuss a feature that's not present you get replies saying you can always get an android phone. :confused:

Hahaha... I remember complaining that an iPhone 3G didn't have MMS. Yes, it was added eventually, but the excuses people made. Oh boy... (It was like starting a forrest fire).

BearerOBadNews, I get it. You want an app that is available on Android. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't need it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well I will admit that I thought the iphone would be much better than it turned out to be. I probably got caught in the hype a little bit. But truth be told at first during the honeymoon period I thought it was great. But the more I continued to use the phone, the more I started to notice how it keeps coming up short. It was great initially, but as time went on and I used it more, I just keep seeing more and more that it really is lacking in several areas. Now I have a decision to make.

So what other reservations did you have, outside of mySMS?

----------

Hahaha... I remember complaining that an iPhone 3G didn't have MMS. Yes, it was added eventually, but the excuses people made. Oh boy... (It was like starting a forrest fire).

BearerOBadNews, I get it. You want an app that is available on Android. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't need it.

I complained about the very same thing. Since then, I have send maybe two dozen picture messages, and that is probably a gross overestimate. I am not sure why I, personally, had such a problem with it. I guess I don't like being told what I can and can't do. Strangely, I still keep an iPhone.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Okay so a friend of mine showed me an app on his android phone called mysms that does cloud text messaging. It was pretty cool. It allowed him to be able to read, reply, delete, and compose text messages all from the computer. The whole time whether he did it on his computer or his phone the text messages stayed in sync. Since I use my computer a lot this would be pretty convenient to not have to go get my phone every time I receive a text message. I look on the mysms site and they state that the iphone app can't do cloud texting or sync any of that because Apple doesn't allow it! Then I look in the app store for other solutions and I literally could not find one single cloud texting solution. Hell the mangy old sidekick 4g comes with cloud texting stock! If a crappy phone like the sidekick 4g is capable why can't my iphone?! This is a feature that I would find very useful and see no reason why my iphone isn't capable of doing this.
*rant off*

Buy an Android phone then sunshine & quit complainin'.

Rokeneer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2011
Okay so a friend of mine showed me an app on his android phone called mysms that does cloud text messaging. It was pretty cool. It allowed him to be able to read, reply, delete, and compose text messages all from the computer. The whole time whether he did it on his computer or his phone the text messages stayed in sync. Since I use my computer a lot this would be pretty convenient to not have to go get my phone every time I receive a text message. I look on the mysms site and they state that the iphone app can't do cloud texting or sync any of that because Apple doesn't allow it! Then I look in the app store for other solutions and I literally could not find one single cloud texting solution. Hell the mangy old sidekick 4g comes with cloud texting stock! If a crappy phone like the sidekick 4g is capable why can't my iphone?! This is a feature that I would find very useful and see no reason why my iphone isn't capable of doing this.
*rant off*

There are rumors that later versions of iOS 5 and updates to Lion will bring this capability to the Mac. I believe them, and would find it to be really useful in school. :D:rolleyes:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
That seems to be the general consensus around here so far as improvements are concerned. I got told the same thing in my widgets thread.

Not sure why you guys are so against improvements.

It's ironic that Apple already has an-in house example: Dashboard. I'm guessing we won't see this until the next major iOS release. If not, then it's time to move on.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
So what other reservations did you have, outside of mySMS?

I posted some earlier in this thread as it relates to cloud functionality or lack thereof. Off the top of my head, gimped bluetooth. No social integration besides twitter..I hate twitter lol. I don't see why I can't just install the social network I want and have it integrated. No dlna (and I'm not going to buy an apple tv just to get similar functionality, it should be built in). Browser needs improvement, heck I can't even upload from inside the browser. No onlive gaming. That's just to name a few things I realized after purchasing.
Then there are things I already knew coming in like no customization, no nfc, small screen. Those things I was willing to accept, but the culmination of the things I found out later (and that's not a complete list) plus the things I already knew I was giving up resulted in me really starting to regret this purchase.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I posted some earlier in this thread as it relates to cloud functionality or lack thereof. Off the top of my head, gimped bluetooth. No social integration besides twitter..I hate twitter lol. I don't see why I can't just install the social network I want and have it integrated. No dlna (and I'm not going to buy an apple tv just to get similar functionality, it should be built in). Browser needs improvement, heck I can't even upload from inside the browser. No onlive gaming. That's just to name a few things I realized after purchasing.
Then there are things I already knew coming in like no customization, no nfc, small screen. Those things I was willing to accept, but the culmination of the things I found out later (and that's not a complete list) plus the things I already knew I was giving up resulted in me really starting to regret this purchase.

Boohoo. Just move on already.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

I used to post on the apple forum that it was ridiculous that a phone created in 2007 couldn't send a message to multiple people, and the replies I got said that it was impersonal to send the same message to more than one person :D

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I used to post on the apple forum that it was ridiculous that a phone created in 2007 couldn't send a message to multiple people, and the replies I got said that it was impersonal to send the same message to more than one person :D

Don't you know group messages are evil? :D
I accidentally replied to a group message when the message should have gone only to my girlfriend. ;)

BearerOBadNews, people speak with their wallets. I hate the not invented here syndrome.
Don't let anyone question why you want an app.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Boohoo. Just move on already.
guess you only want to hear from people that are saying things about the iphone that you want to hear...:rolleyes:

lmao! That sounds pretty typical lol.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
guess you only want to hear from people that are saying things about the iphone that you want to hear...:rolleyes:

No... let's be honest here. If he has all of those issues, that's fine, but clearly he would be happy with something else. This is why I asked. I won't try and talk him down from any of those points. Being able to name THAT many things one is displeased with (and assuming that these same problems are not present on other devices) basically leaves us with a no-brainer.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I think he wants to be able to use the computer to send and receive texts through his main number alongside using the phone to do so.

One does not need to be a nerd, my friend. Get official apps and you will be 100% safe. Once you start buying stuff from random third parties (ie a twitter client from johnnystealyourmoneyinudstries) is when you need to be more careful. Problem is, there are a lot of stupid people out there that download everything under the sun. How many people do you think click on the "you won a million dollars" popups? Answer: a ton... or else they wouldn't exist.
I've told lots of android users to get WhatsApp and most of them download the app from countless stores and official website or google searching, the majority didn't even know what the android market was...again not for the average Joe. almost anyone not knowing can download counterfeit apps, google has even had fake malware apps on it's own store so don't pretend like it's official appstore is malware free because its not, most of the time google deletes those apps because they show up on endgadget or gizmodo bad reping the shittouatthem,.,

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I've told lots of android users to get WhatsApp and most of them download the app from countless stores and official website or google searching, the majority didn't even know what the android market was...again not for the average Joe.

That is your isolated experience. I would say quite a few people know what the android market is. Just look at the sales numbers. Doubt it's the same three people downloading that bazillion apps that have been downloaded so far. And it comes installed with your phone much like appstore.

If you are buying/downloading from places OUTSIDE the android market, you won't even be able to install those packages without messing with your settings. Another thing said average Joe would not know how to do, therefore making it a non-issue.

I just love how people say "my friends and I had this experience" and automatically transpose that as an indication of how the world receives Android, iOS, or whatever else the topic of discussion may be.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
On another note it is funny to me the differences in attitudes on a site like this versus sites like xda. On xda when someone points out a feature that their phone doesn't have that is present on another phone, people put their heads together and figure out how to bring that functionality to their device. On this site when someone points out a feature they don't have that is present on a different device, people respond with "why do you need that?", "go get a *insert device here*", or "I don't need to be able to *insert feature here*". Why the difference?

Sadly, it likely has to do with the countless threads started daily from people proclaiming that Android is better because it has this or that feature or the ever numerous threads asking (or flat out telling everyone here) which phone is better regarding the iPhone or the Android flavor of the month.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Sadly, it likely has to do with the countless threads started daily from people proclaiming that Android is better because it has this or that feature or the ever numerous threads asking (or flat out telling everyone here) which phone is better regarding the iPhone or the Android flavor of the month.

Responding to posts like that is one thing. But what I mean is if someone on this site dare make mention of a feature the iphone is lacking, instead of them being met with an open mind and a "how can we get this" mentality, they are met with attacks, excuses, sarcasm, and "what do I need that for?" comments.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
That's quite a bit of trouble to do something that you should be able to do with ease. Porting your number now means you have two phone numbers. It also means that on outgoing calls you have to use an app to make the correct ID show on your outgoing calls. Then there's the issue that Google voice doesn't do mms, so if you want to deal with a picture message you have to use a different phone number. I'm sorry but that seems incredibly inefficient and clunky.

When you port your number you only use one number. That's the whole point of porting your number.

And the last I heard was that Google added MMS capabilities.

For me the whole process of porting my number took all of five minutes. There's no trouble to it on Sprint :)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nothing wrong with wanting functionality on the iphone that you have seen on others!

Lol – some people react as if it's a personal attack.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
If you have a A4 device and no problem with jailbraking theres a couple of apps that will notify you and also able to respond msgs / email etc , of course you also need to install the client on your pc/mac

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Responding to posts like that is one thing. But what I mean is if someone on this site dare make mention of a feature the iphone is lacking, instead of them being met with an open mind and a "how can we get this" mentality, they are met with attacks, excuses, sarcasm, and "what do I need that for?" comments.

He voiced his opinion and said there are lots of things he wish the iPhone had that doesn't. So if he is that displeased it's time for him to get a new phone. He's not gonna magically get what he wants complaining in a thread on macrumors forum.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
OP, unfortunately, unless you are on Sprint and use GV integration, there isn't a "clean" way to do it on ios. Remember that one of the core features of iOS (which is also a hinderance to some of these wish list features) is the security created by sand boxing apps. Apple purposefully Sandboxed core processes / features so that apps installed by users don't have access to potentially really personal information. I really don't see apple changing that anytime soon, because that security is one of the core iOS features.

I personally do the sprint + GV, but even that isn't a perfect solution, because any message I send out through GV via computer isn't synced or captured on my handset.

---------------------

To those that question the need for this capability. It's not always about being lazy. I for instance can't have my phone with me in my work building. But I can access GV from my work computer, so I can send texts and check my voicemails. Additionally, when I'm overseas I use it to keep in touch with several people.

I would say that just because you don't have a use for it doesn't make it invalid. And not every request/desire for an improvement to ios has to be treated as an attack on your dogma. There really are people that like the iPhone but would like some additional features.

If there weren't communities like this with users pushing for improvements, many iPhone users would have been stuck with web apps for a longer time, wouldn't have mms, or have multitasking.

I'm not saying that every request is for everyone, but geez, cut the users of this community some slack.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Wow. What an ill-tempered thread. Poor OP.

It seems to me that the issue is not whether there is an app like mySMS, but the lack of integration between MacOSX and iOS. Synching text messages should be an option provided by Apple s. I'd also like to see optional synching of items in the keychain.

And before there is a chorus about security issues and synching, presumably most of us feel OK synching e-mail, which typically is a much higher security risk than SMS. I can just imagine somebody reading my SMS text messages, which consist mostly of 'LOL' .... how boring, and how uninformative. :)

@OP: I think you have a valid point. My hope is that Apple will recognize it and provide something in MacOS.

EDIT: Removed information re: mySMS given that OP was aware of it already.

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
You may live in just your room, but I actually have a home, and might have forgotten and left my phone downstairs or upstairs. I use a bluetooth headset so I don't have to take my phone with me throughout the house. So Yes it's extremely convenient to be able to text from the laptop or my desktop since I have a computer in every room.

SIRI over BT for text?

Okay, I was wondering how you handle incoming voice phone calls when the phone is elsewhere in the house...as opposed to having a need to answer every SMS.

But why not use SIRI? With your BT headset, SIRI will read to you new SMS's, and ask you to reply, and/or create SMS via SIRI with the BT headset. Works great for me in the car. One reason I upgraded to the 4S.

For me, my phone goes everywhere in the house with me, so that I can answer the cell phone, for text or voice calls...and other reminders. I can be more than 30 away from my phone. BT goes only 30 feet or so.

It is not exactly what you are looking for...having the same limits that voice calls would have via bluetooth. But if you accept not being near your phone for new voice coming in...you get the same for new text.

Just a suggestion. Apple gave you SIRI over BT...use it!

P.S. I haven't kept up, since my phone is always with me...but weren't there solutions for SMS/computer via AIM or other IM protocols in the past?

P.P.S. Is it true the mysms can't send SMS to the US even with Android? http://www.mysms.com/en/faq/faqandroid

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.