Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Redesigned iOS-Like Airport Utility 6.0 and an Airport Base Station Bug-Fix

Apple has released updates to its Wi-Fi base stations and to the Airport Utility program that controls them.

AirPort Utility 6.0 for Mac OS X Lion weighs in at 14.13MB and requires Mac OS X 10.7.2. The user interface has been redesigned to look more like the iOS Airport Utility application available through the App Store for the iPhone and iPad. It is also streamlined, with fewer windows required to access the full range of Airport Base Station settings.

AirPort Base Station and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6.1 was also released, and can be installed via Airport Utility on the Mac or iOS.
Quote:
This update is for all 802.11n AirPort Express, 802.11n AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. It fixes an issue with wireless performance and provides support for remote access to an AirPort disk or a Time Capsule hard drive with an iCloud account.
Apple also released AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion, which retains the previous look of AirPort Utility and is required for configuring some older AirPort hardware.

Article Link: Apple Releases Redesigned iOS-Like Airport Utility 6.0 and an Airport Base Station Bug-Fix
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
smallnshort247
macrumors 6502a

Sweet!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:52 PM   #3
wickerman1893
macrumors 6502

I know almost everybody already knows this but just another hint that Apple is all about iOS now.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4
hamis92
macrumors 6502

I just keep wondering about how little Snow Leopard has received love from Apple lately. It might be just me, but didn't Apple use to support their second-latest OS far better than they do now? Not everyone wants to move to Lion.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:54 PM   #5
applesith
macrumors 68000

I wish they would include a nice interface like this for all airport related services and devices instead of those just using an Airport base station.
applesith is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Slightly annoying, but 6.0 can't configure my older Airport Express, making me download 5.6 solely to manage it.
Senseotech is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Looks sweet, I like it a lot!
kirky29 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Coltaine
macrumors member

I just installed the update.

Looks fine to me, but there was a configuration tool for printers in the old application, where did it go, I can't seem to find it anymore!?
Coltaine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Menge
macrumors 6502a

More important: Does this fix a bug where Firmware version 7.6 would cause USB-connected disks to spin up every few minutes?

I installed 7.6 and went back to 7.5.2 because of this issue!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Snowcat001
macrumors regular

Whooohoooo!!
Snowcat001 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:58 PM   #11
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

OSX is becoming iOS in 3, 2 and so on and so-forth.
NutsNGum is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
Slightly annoying, but 6.0 can't configure my older Airport Express, making me download 5.6 solely to manage it.
Really? Damn, that sucks. I already updated to 6.0 too. I'll have to test out the older Express later. It's disconnected and I just keep it around should I want to setup speakers outside or something.
Undecided is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:58 PM   #13
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Ever since trying out the iOS version of Airport Utility I was hoping Apple would bring it to the Mac. It's really nice and intuitive. The last update I made to my router was just too easy on my iPhone. Looking forward to trying out the Mac version of it.
newagemac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:00 PM   #14
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
now if only they could find a way so we dont have to restart every single time we want to apply one little change.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:01 PM   #15
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman1893 View Post
I know almost everybody already knows this but just another hint that Apple is all about iOS now.
I generally feel that way, too, but I did note that iBooks Author is for Mac only.
Undecided is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:05 PM   #16
sudoash
macrumors member

Quote:
[..] and provides support for remote access to an AirPort disk or a Time Capsule hard drive with an iCloud account.
So does this mean that we can access our Time Capsule's hard disk elsewhere? For example, if I am at work, can I get data from my Time Capsule's hard disk simply by using my iCloud credentials? If so, how? There doesn't seem to be any documentation or instructions for this — or I'm helpless for looking.

Edit:
I really am helpless for looking. It's right here:

Last edited by sudoash; Jan 30, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
sudoash is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIIM44 View Post
now if only they could find a way so we dont have to restart every single time we want to apply one little change.
Ha agree.
Diode is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Sweetmate
macrumors newbie

An so continues the total dumbing down of all products Apple.

Can no longer configure printers, can no longer see wireless and DHCP clients, lost IPv6, lost logs and stats, lost multicast rate, lost transmit power, lost wide channels, lost interference robustness etc etc etc

Gained: A Nice big Internet globe icon and a nice big Base Station icon.
Sweetmate is offline   62 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:09 PM   #19
Soverc
macrumors member

Hmm no ability to edit ipv6 settings that I see, looks like other things may be gone but have not compared them yet.

The interface is butt ugly also. I could have done better in MS paint.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:09 PM   #20
Cmd-the-World
macrumors regular

Seriously Apple do I need to wait in turn to update my devices?

Prior to the update I was able to update the firmware on all my devices simultaneously. Now I need to update them one by one. I am working on Mac OS X which is able to have full multitasking not iOS!!!!!

Apart from that it was convenient when I needed to set up a number of devices I was able to have multiple windows open so when one is restarting I was able to continue setting up the others. Now it isn't possible.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:10 PM   #21
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

Apple just keeps coming up with reasons not to buy another Mac.
neiltc13 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:13 PM   #22
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmd-the-World View Post
Seriously Apple do I need to wait in turn to update my devices?

Prior to the update I was able to update the firmware on all my devices simultaneously. Now I need to update them one by one. I am working on Mac OS X which is able to have full multitasking not iOS!!!!!

Apart from that it was convenient when I needed to set up a number of devices I was able to have multiple windows open so when one is restarting I was able to continue setting up the others. Now it isn't possible.
Tell me about it: I have 6 Airport Express / Time Capulses to update... now its a PITA, one at a time thanks to a crappy modal UI.

Hey Apple, we can multi-task.

Not being able to see DHCP clients , or even how many are connected is extremely weak.

Unfortunately this all points to the dumbing down of OS X applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamis92 View Post
I just keep wondering about how little Snow Leopard has received love from Apple lately. It might be just me, but didn't Apple use to support their second-latest OS far better than they do now? Not everyone wants to move to Lion.
Apple never did support older OSes very well.

Last edited by Stella; Jan 30, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Stella is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:14 PM   #23
4np
macrumors 6502a

Is it me, or is the logging option gone? In the previous version you were able to view the number of connected clients, a graph showing signal strength, logs and you were able to configure an external host to sent log information over snmp. The only thing which I can find at the moment is a summary of connected clients when you click on one of the airport devices, but the more advanced stuff seems to be gone? Has anybody been able to locate it?

Also, it seems it is not possible to create configuration profiles anymore?
4np is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4np View Post
Is it me, or is the logging option gone? In the previous version you were able to view the number of connected clients, a graph showing signal strength, logs and you were able to configure an external host to sent log information to. The only thing which I can find at the moment is a summary of connected clients when you click on one of the airport devices, but the more advanced stuff seems to be gone? Has anybody been able to locate it?

Also, it seems it is not possible to create configuration profiles anymore?
The logging option IS gone and that ticks me off.
Peace is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:19 PM   #25
Sweetmate
macrumors newbie

5.6 - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

Does everything apart from the new Back to My Mac iCloud setting.

You can install 5.6 and 6.0 concurrently.

Set up Back to My Mac iCloud with 6.0, and then never use it again and stick with 5.6.

Problem solved.
Sweetmate is offline   10 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Tags
airport, firmware