Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radioactive

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
Dynamic Global Hostname

Whaaa?

It looks like the ability to update my IP address from the router is gone, it used to be called "Dynamic Global Hostname" but it appears to have been removed from the network config.

I used to use DynDNS for this, but not using their scripts run on a PC, but updated directly from the AX

http://dyn.com/support/airport-time-capsule-with-dynamic-dns/

Boo for removing features :(

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I love this! Just yesterday I was reconfiguring the Airport (or, what Apple calls "Air Mac" here in Japan) network for the Manga University Tokyo Campus, and was using the Airport Utility on both a Macintosh and an iPad. As I worked through the settings, I thought to myself, "This IOS version of this utility is so much nicer than the OSX version."

I should have waited a day to do the work!

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I know almost everybody already knows this but just another hint that Apple is all about iOS now.

I for one love these streamlined apps to help normal folks manage networks and things that are traditionally thought of as being very technical and difficult for an average user to handle.

On the other hand, I can see that power users may not be as amused.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
An so continues the total dumbing down of all products Apple.

Can no longer configure printers, can no longer see wireless and DHCP clients, lost IPv6, lost logs and stats, lost multicast rate, lost transmit power, lost wide channels, lost interference robustness etc etc etc

Gained: A Nice big Internet globe icon and a nice big Base Station icon.

What. The. ****.

Okay, I'm about to jump ship. **** this ****.

I am so sick and tired of Apple targeting the idiots of this world. Especially when I invested $10K in their ****ing hardware, and this is how I get treated? You take away all the options that I use, give me NO SUITABLE REPLACEMENT, then proceed to tell me that I can't actually use older versions of the software because it won't run on the latest greatest Apple OS and I absolutely -must- be current to use the things that I actually rely on (ie, Xcode)?

This is pure ****ing madness. Pure. ****ing. Madness.

What the hell is wrong with options? O P T I O N S. You know, check boxes and drop down menus and stuff. What is wrong with giving us advanced UI pages that normal users don't have to use, so those of us who can't stand the bling bling blingety bling UI interfaces can actually still get to the things that matter to us?

"Our way or the highway" is ****ing arrogant, that's what it is. I have seen Apple go from a professional company making truly high end stuff, to a consumer company targeting everyone, to this ****ing fischer-price mammoth obsessed with building toys for people who can't even comprehend a ****ing folder on their desktop.

This **** needs to end. Give us our ****ing options, and stop being lazy ass programmers. I swear to god this company is going to implode like a goddam atomic bomb if they don't smarten the **** up soon.

-SC

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
An so continues the total dumbing down of all products Apple.

Can no longer configure printers, can no longer see wireless and DHCP clients, lost IPv6, lost logs and stats, lost multicast rate, lost transmit power, lost wide channels, lost interference robustness etc etc etc

Gained: A Nice big Internet globe icon and a nice big Base Station icon.

This is lame - why would they completely dumb down the utility and *remove* functionality? What a crock.

Discostu7

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Messes up Skype Calls on WIFI

Skype sounds like crap now since i've installed this update and its affecting all of my devices iMac 2011, iPad2 and iPhone 4 =/

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
Hm, judging from the complaints I don't think I'll be installing this update. I don't like having my OS X experience dumbed down.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
does any one know if this version allows for timed-access editing. Anytime I want to add another user (Mac Address) i have to do it on the computer because the iOS apps cant add users. If it is not able to I wont be able to update as my whole network only works if i can white list a mac address.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
does any one know if this version allows for timed-access editing. Anytime I want to add another user (Mac Address) i have to do it on the computer because the iOS apps cant add users. If it is not able to I wont be able to update as my whole network only works if i can white list a mac address.

Yes. It still allows for access control lists.

Flipstar

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Finally.. I've been having 802.11n problems for quite a long time now. Seems to finally be fixed. :)

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
What. The. ****.

I am so sick and tired of Apple targeting the idiots of this world. Especially when I invested $10K in their ****ing hardware, and this is how I get treated? You take away all the options that I use, give me NO SUITABLE REPLACEMENT, then proceed to tell me that I can't actually use older versions of the software because it won't run on the latest greatest Apple OS and I absolutely -must- be current to use the things that I actually rely on (ie, Xcode)?

What the hell is wrong with options? O P T I O N S. You know, check boxes and drop down menus and stuff. What is wrong with giving us advanced UI pages that normal users don't have to use, so those of us who can't stand the bling bling blingety bling UI interfaces can actually still get to the things that matter to us?

"Our way or the highway" is ****ing arrogant, that's what it is. I have seen Apple go from a professional company making truly high end stuff, to a consumer company targeting everyone, to this ****ing fischer-price mammoth obsessed with building toys for people who can't even comprehend a ****ing folder on their desktop.

This **** needs to end. Give us our ****ing options, and stop being lazy ass programmers. I swear to god this company is going to implode like a goddam atomic bomb if they don't smarten the **** up soon.

-SC

Apple is over time clearly merging iOS and Mac OS and they are becoming a company that sells electronics to the masses (tech phobic). This is a shame in my opinion because they started as a hacker machine. But no longer. They are going for simply the lowest tech denominator. We control everything/everywhere etc....

My prediction is the file system will eventually be gone in the future of the Mac OS. It will be designed for the desktop but users will have no control of the OS on a system level a la iOS. Mark my words.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
What. The. ****.

-SC

This rant seems quite weird considering that Apple also released Airport Utility 5.6 today with all the same features you had before. And you can actually install and use both concurrently. So you have the... you know... option to use whichever UI you want.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
Wow... I was about to install this update, but all of these comments have me skeptical.

I have an issue with my airport express that forces me to unplug it and plug it back in once every 2 days. It's effing annoying. Was hoping this update addressed that.

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
As of tomorrow morning I am selling all of my airports and time capsule and buying some real hardware. I'm done with this company.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow... I was about to install this update, but all of these comments have me skeptical.

I have an issue with my airport express that forces me to unplug it and plug it back in once every 2 days. It's effing annoying. Was hoping this update addressed that.

by chance is it something the stops iTunes Home Sharing from working? I have that issue every once in a while where internet access will work fine but Home Sharing on the local network will drop so I cant watch any movies on my Apple Tv's

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
by chance is it something the stops iTunes Home Sharing from working? I have that issue every once in a while where internet access will work fine but Home Sharing on the local network will drop so I cant watch any movies on my Apple Tv's

No, I haven't had any of those issues. Just have an issue where the base station will show up as available when when I go to join it, it says "error connecting." It sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I just installed the new Airport Utility version 5.6 along side the dumbed down version and I can say both work fine.

So. No reason to get upset kids.

Some may choose to use the IOS type interface and some may choose to use the original.

Either way they are both new.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I generally feel that way, too, but I did note that iBooks Author is for Mac only.

Well... lets put it this way... my mac pro 2010 is 20 times the speed on Geekbench than an iPad 2 ( 760 )...and mine is not even the newest or fastest.

What people keep forgetting is that the ipad is still really a consumption device. for the moment at least you need a decent operating system such as OSX and more powerful processors to create content.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
The number of Apple haters may have actually surpassed the number of people who live Apple on this website.

It used to be a small community of people who actually liked Apple, now it seems to be a FUD factory. Apple's competitors should hire more hardware engineers, and fewer social media engineers.

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
seriously, the lack of options was what almost persuaded me NOT to buy apple airports originally. Now they are taking what was there away! Unreal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.