Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Wow... I was about to install this update, but all of these comments have me skeptical.

I have an issue with my airport express that forces me to unplug it and plug it back in once every 2 days. It's effing annoying. Was hoping this update addressed that.

The complaints are aimed at AirPort Utility and not the firmware per se. You can update the firmware only and update to AirPort Utility 5.6 instead of AirPort Utility 6.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
This rant seems quite weird considering that Apple also released Airport Utility 5.6 today with all the same features you had before. And you can actually install and use both concurrently. So you have the... you know... option to use whichever UI you want.

Until they discontinue the 5.x line and 6.x is 10.8 only and Xcode 5.x only runs on 10.8 and I need Xcode 5.x to submit applications to the app store so I can make money. Eventually I'm forced into their new way of thinking regardless. Should I really be expected to keep a machine or even an OS partition around just for configuration utilities in the future?

My point is that they're slowly but surely pressuring people into situations that some of us do not want to be in. I have never felt the way Apple makes me feel right now. It's like they've become all-out hostile to power users and options.

I still use MobileMe (yes, I haven't switched). What happens when that goes away and I'm still on 10.6.8 because I can't stand Mission Control? Well, I lose all that functionality because Apple has refused to release 10.6.9 in an effort to force people onto 10.7.

This is what pisses me off. This lame ass iOS-ification that is spreading around like a goddam cancer. If I'm still using Mac stuff in 5 years when my kid is old enough to comprehend some of this stuff, I can't wait until he asks me "Daddy, were computers ever free? Did you ever use them to do whatever you wanted whenever you wanted?".

-SC

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
The number of Apple haters may have actually surpassed the number of people who live Apple on this website.

It used to be a small community of people who actually liked Apple, now it seems to be a FUD factory. Apple's competitors should hire more hardware engineers, and fewer social media engineers.

Most of us are not 'apple haters'. We are mostly loyal apple supporters who get bitterly disappointed when the company produce products and software that are half baked and missing functionality.

Being critical of a something does not mean you hate it. It means you are disappointed that it is not achieving what it is capable of (and I don't mean generating money).

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-31 at 12.50.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-31 at 12.50.38 AM.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 168

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
As has been mentioned above, the Aiport Utility 5.6 was also released today. And it has EXACTLY the same functions as before.
So it seems like there are two utilities, the one that is more like iOS and the 5.6 version. Just use the 5.6 version and you should be fine, if you haven't had any problems so far.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Kind of funny that in reality Apple came out with an update to the original Airport Utility and simultaneously released a dumbed down iOS like version, and everyone is going nuts. I think the fault may lie with the original news item, which didn't mention 5.6 being available. The news should be:

NEW AIRPORT UTILITY AVAILABLE!!!!*

*plus a new lame lite version too.

juro

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Is it exactly like the iOS version, with no available options for managing the profiles of the base stations?With iOS version, I can't seem to do this properly.

I use mine both as a travel unit and a network extender when at home.

Managing the profiles is not good at all as it does not give me options when I switch profiles.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I like the UI as it shows a network map of the routers (if you have multiple airport expresses for example). Problem is, I cannot find the list of the devices connected to my base station with their IP addresses anymore. In the past, this is accessible under the wireless client section. Now, the popup only listed 3 IP addresses (without info on which devices they are) and I see no way to expand this. Help?

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
You will have two versions of Airport Utility on your mac. You can use the simplified 6.0 version or the new 5.6 version that has all the same old options as before.

See, we still have choice.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I'm a bit confused. So I can do the update and then go back and download 5.6 from the links provided here?

You can run the new AirPort Utility 6 and AirPort Utility 5.6 side by side. In other words you can update to v6 and install v5.6. In the Applications folder you would find two apps one is called AirPort Utility (that is the new interface) and the other is called AirPort Utility 5.6 (The old interface)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Most of us are not 'apple haters'. We are mostly loyal apple supporters who get bitterly disappointed when the company produce products and software that are half baked and missing functionality.

Being critical of a something does not mean you hate it. It means you are disappointed that it is not achieving what it is capable of (and I don't mean generating money).

I totally agree. This isn't the first time Apple makes updates and leaves out crucial features. Typically I like the changed they make (in this case I do like 6.0's interface), but I do hate that they keep releasing half products when upgrading their software. Remember when they released Quicktime X? It was supposed to add in the extra features that Quicktime 7 had, eventually. I haven't seen any updates to Quicktime X, and often I still need to rely on Quicktime 7. And don't get me started on iCloud.... This is just the latest in their trend to "improve" the interface of things by leaving out core functionality.... I thought Apple was supposed to be "perfectionist", caring about every little detail, like the color of the G in Google, when displayed on an iPhone.

They sure seem to be missing the details lately. Half finished products rushed out to razzle and dazzle us. I'm pleased to see this outcry, hopefully Apple will take notice soon and get back on track.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
This is what pisses me off. This lame ass iOS-ification that is spreading around like a goddam cancer. If I'm still using Mac stuff in 5 years when my kid is old enough to comprehend some of this stuff, I can't wait until he asks me "Daddy, were computers ever free? Did you ever use them to do whatever you wanted whenever you wanted?".

IMO you make some fair points about the functionality changes, but the reality is that Apple does not exist to build computers or software that you want. They have always made what they want, and if people like it, then great. This approach is how they have always operated and is praised until it is no longer convenient for your particular use case.

I am not defending their decisions, rather simply stating that you are welcome to go over to Windows or Linux if OSX no longer suits your needs. People talk about "choice" as if it is a concept that only exists inside of a specific ecosystem. In reality, the ecosystem itself is a choice.

The consumer market is much larger than the power user market. Which would you go after if you were trying to make the most money?

Edit: Also, 5.6 is available. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

Last edited:

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
No. Because it is the newest version. Of that type interface.

Ah. Well, when I launch 5.5.3 on my Air, it tells me that 6.0 is the latest and greatest. No mention of 5.6. Software Update also only shows 6.0 -- with no mention of 5.6 whatsoever. Just really seems that Apple is pushing 6.0 since there's no official mention of 5.6 via the update methods on the Air (Software Update and AirPort Utility itself). If 5.6 makes all the 6.0 spam go away -- great.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Damn, for a moment I thought they had an update to fix the ridiculous network problems in Lion. Full strength Wifi, chat works fine, mail works fine, safari does not…just no friggin' page.

And then suddenly nothing works, reset wifi, it works, 5 minutes later…not anymore, again reset. Even with ethernet the network is messed up, randomly not showing pages and so on. And the iOS devices all work, yeah they work.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Is it exactly like the iOS version
Does that mean it also has the bug that you can't specify a range for port forwarding? (because the text box accepts numbers only, and specifying a range requires typing a hyphen in the middle)

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004

As evidenced by the back and forth concerning choice in versions there seems to be a whole lot of complaining about nothing. I guess this is one of the unintended consequences of growth in the marketplace. I would imagine that for 99% of people there isn't going to be a discernible difference in user experience. It certainly hasn't changed anything on this end, in fact, it looks easier than ever to get connected to the internet and see who is on my network.

Are there any specific complaints or is this just reaction to something changing?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple just keeps coming up with reasons not to buy another Mac.

Well if Apple did everything right what would you find to complain about since that's your favorite past time?

The number of Apple haters may have actually surpassed the number of people who live Apple on this website.

It used to be a small community of people who actually liked Apple, now it seems to be a FUD factory. Apple's competitors should hire more hardware engineers, and fewer social media engineers.

Yup clearly Apple is screwing the pooch here. Why make things more simple? Keep it nice and complex so that the rank and file user gets confused. After all the key to amassing 90 billion in cash is to appease to the geeks of the world right?<sarcasm>

Though I will empathize with those who relied on features that are now missing. Apple needs a way of creating easy interfaces that can expose more advanced features through steps that a geek could use. I wouldn't be surprised to see things fleshed out and features returned in a future update.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Another thing which is nice for the dummy user, but which I find a security flaw is the fact that you can see all passwords for your airport device. In previous versions (and throughout Mac OS X) I used my keychain for storing and viewing my passwords whenever I forget them, but now everybody who has access to your Mac and knows how to start (or install) the Airport utility is able to view all the passwords of your Airport devices. So you'd better make sure any passwords in there are not the same as any of your other password(s) you use elsewhere... :confused:

(in Airport Utility 6.0, select an airport device --> click 'edit' --> click in the menu bar on 'Base Station' --> 'Show passwords')

Attachments

• passwords.jpg
    passwords.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
As has been mentioned above, the Aiport Utility 5.6 was also released today. And it has EXACTLY the same functions as before.
So it seems like there are two utilities, the one that is more like iOS and the 5.6 version. Just use the 5.6 version and you should be fine, if you haven't had any problems so far.

Seems to me some so called "power users" don't like the masses to be able to manage their home networks easier. It would be different if Apple didn't update and release both versions of the utility today but they did. You can use either one you'd like. Or even switch between the two. They provided more options, not less. They both can be installed (at the same time even) so I don't see the problem.

I see a lot of knee jerk reactions that aren't very well informed.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Though I will empathize with those who relied on features that are now missing. Apple needs a way of creating easy interfaces that can expose more advanced features through steps that a geek could use. I wouldn't be surprised to see things fleshed out and features returned in a future update.

A toggle between simple/advanced would be great, which they did here by releasing the two apps, albeit a clunky way to appease the geeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.