Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

7df3cfe8c22784cb585b-LL.jpg

Although we've already seen many stories about possible iPad 3 part leaks over the past few weeks, MIC Gadget has been able to get its hands on the rumored parts for the iPad 3 Front Glass, Rear Shell, and 3rd party cases.

The site put them together in this nice overview video:

The video shows the iPad 3 exterior assembled, but no internal parts. They reiterate previous findings, such as a slightly thicker shell, larger camera lens, and slightly more tapered design. MIC Gadget, however, was also able to confirm that existing iPad 2 magnetic Smart Covers will work with the new design. Finally, they found that 3rd party iPad 3 cases which are already available to purchase do match up with the back shell.

The site seems to believe the iPad 3 will incorporate Siri. Apple introduced the Siri voice assistant with the iPhone 4S launch, but hasn't yet extended its support to any other devices.

Apple is expected to announce the iPad 3 at a media event that is taking place on Wednesday, March 7th.

Article Link: iPad 3 Parts Put Together on Video, iPad 2 Smart Cover Still Works

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Of course it will support Siri! So will Apple TV 3! Time to break out the credit card so Apple can take my money.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
I find it funny how much Apple allowed this product to leak. It is like companies don't care about corporate secrets any more. One of the most leaked products ever. To be fair it wouldn't hard to predict Apple's product line up for the next few years.

bsellers267

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
Mississippi
It seems that history has repeated itself again. These leaks always come a few days before the announcement. Oh well, it was only a matter of time before someone gathered all the leaked parts and made a video about them. :p

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
The amount of leaks on this device are quite surprising. This is the most I can recall, short of Apple losing a prototype.

It makes waiting for the keynote that much harder :p

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Incredible music!

I'll be strutting down the street with that in my head all day now ...

I thought perhaps the new accessory part no. was just an updated smart cover, but as the old one seems to fit, who knows?!

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I find it funny how much Apple allowed this product to leak. It is like companies don't care about corporate secrets any more. One of the most leaked products ever. To be fair it wouldn't hard to predict Apple's product line up for the next few years.

"...companies don't care about corporate secrets any more. ..."

You have to be kidding. The things we DON'T know about Apple products probably outnumbers what (via rumors) is/may be known by a large percentage.

"...]I find it funny how much Apple allowed this product to leak..."

Apple is possibly, and in some people's minds, definitely, the best marketing company in the world. They get a million dollars (not much for pr, actually) free publicity just by opening a store, dropping a hint about an upcoming presentation, leaking/not leaking possible components of an upcoming product.to the extent that SkyBetUK took bets on the iPad 3 features...

"Predictions for a retina display seemed downright certain, with 1/8 odds for and 9 to 2 against. More fanciful features, like a Thunderbolt port (5 to 1 for, 1/50 against) and an SD card slot (12 to 1 for, 8/13 against) got better returns if they actually panned out. Interestingly, most of the participating gamplers believed that the iPad 3 wouldn’t..."

I think they know what they're doing.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
meh, i've seen pics of the a5x circuit board and the retina display is out there, I expected to see someone gather ALL the parts and turn one on by now.

Canaan

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
It's almost like pretty soon we'll see one that someone put together from all these parts that are floating around.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Looks very similar to the iPad 2. The things that actually matter right now are of course missing, though. I'd say this is more of a controlled leak.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Looking forward

Sold my iPad 2 today so I'm now ready for this device, I took a guess that the iPad 3 wouldn't be thicker than the iPad 2 and if there is any difference, it will only be marginal. I'm hoping so anyway.... That retina display will be a true joy.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.