Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:16 PM   #26
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Wonder if there are any hidden features in the GM builds?How cool would it be if we had a better map option
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:18 PM   #27
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to KentuckyHouse
SBSettings-like toggles for Notification Center?
Quick Reply (like BiteSMS) for Messages?

These two alone would be enough to make me stop jailbreaking...maybe.
KentuckyHouse is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:19 PM   #28
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

So...where is it?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:19 PM   #29
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilute37 View Post
No I get that, but there would be software to support it, correct? Obviously my iPhone 4S won't magically get NFC. I'm just saying, maybe that's part of the software support.
Yes, obviously there would be some kind of application to support the NFC, but that isn't coming until we see the hardware that supports it..But quite possibly in the next iPhone and iOS6.

I was in a store the other day and the guy in front of me used his NFC enabled cell phone to pay for his stuff. It was quick, painless, and awesome.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:20 PM   #30
DotCom2
macrumors 68000

The only "new Feature" I want in 5.1 is my battery back!
DotCom2 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:20 PM   #31
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

Well, hopefully they fixed the iOS 5 kerning issue...

Name:  ios5_kerning.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  3.4 KB
petsounds is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:21 PM   #32
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Yes, obviously there would be some kind of application to support the NFC, but that isn't coming until we see the hardware that supports it..But quite possibly in the next iPhone and iOS6.

I was in a store the other day and the guy in front of me used his NFC enabled cell phone to pay for his stuff. It was quick, painless, and awesome.
Or maybe apple has NFC built in already like how N-support was secretly included in Macs but no one knows about it?
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:22 PM   #33
Dainin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
SBSettings-like toggles for Notification Center?
Quick Reply (like BiteSMS) for Messages?

These two alone would be enough to make me stop jailbreaking...maybe.
Add FaceTime over 3G and non-limited iTunes/App store downloads to that list and I'm with you.
Dainin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:23 PM   #34
parish
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction
Ah, but was it magical?

Last edited by parish; Mar 6, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
parish is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:23 PM   #35
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post

I sometimes use my NFC enabled credit card. Lets compare process.

Take card out, tap on reader, sign receipt.
vs. old school method
Take card out, swipe on reader, sign receipt

I just don't see the benefit, time, or cost savings. I will still have a wallet for ID, licenses, spare cash, condom, member cards, reward punch cards, insurance, etc.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:23 PM   #36
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
Or maybe apple has NFC built in already like how N-support was secretly included in Macs but no one knows about it?
Just like this, people seem to be forgetting that Apple has hidden components inside their devices before. The 2nd Generation iPod touch had a Bluetooth radio in it, but nobody knew until iOS 3.0 arose. NFC could very well be hidden in the iPhone 4S

chrf097 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:27 PM   #37
jman240
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Just like this, people seem to be forgetting that Apple has hidden components inside their devices before. The 2nd Generation iPod touch had a Bluetooth radio in it, but nobody knew until iOS 3.0 arose. NFC could very well be hidden in the iPhone 4S
Didn't the iFixit tear down reveal that Bluetooth radio a year before the software was there to use it?

Ok ok, 6 months ahead
http://www.ifixit.com/blog/2009/03/1...nd-generation/
jman240 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:28 PM   #38
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman240 View Post
Didn't the iFixit tear down reveal that Bluetooth radio a year before the software was there to use it?

Ok ok, 6 months ahead
http://www.ifixit.com/blog/2009/03/1...nd-generation/
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod-...Teardown/586/1

I seem im a little late the game lol
DerekRod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:29 PM   #39
Menopause
macrumors 6502

Our Apple in heaven
Holy be thy name

Better battery life please?
Menopause is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:31 PM   #40
nutmac
macrumors 68020

People, features aren't bug fixes. Currently known 5.1 change list (bold = feature):
  • Enhanced Siri dictation support during text input "on supported devices" (iPhone 4S in 2011) (i.e. Turn on or off Bluetooth, take a picture etc.).
  • Carrier updates (e.g. AT&T 11.1).
  • Baseband updates.
  • Battery life reportedly fixed.
  • Fixes iPhone 4S support for Caller ID Name Display (on supported carriers – i.e. Rogers & Fido in Canada).
  • Users can now enter any Apple ID to sign-up for an iCloud account. Previously, they had to use (or create a new) me.com email Apple ID.
  • Images can now be removed manually from the Photo Stream in iCloud. Any photos deleted are now also removed from other iOS devices connected to iCloud.
  • Shake-to-shuffle bug fix, which caused the Music app to freeze.
  • The Setup Assistant caused an “infinite setup loop” for some users. When the setup was completed, the iPhone would jump back to a “thank you” screen ad infinitum. Users had to reboot the device to restore functionality.
  • SpringBoard bug fix, the home screen for the iPhone would sometimes fall into a state when double-clicking the home button would not display the Camera icon.
  • Turn on or off 3G toggle restored on iPhone 4S.
  • Possible Siri support, assumed because of the new "Siri Settings" menu.
  • Lock screen arrow slider; smaller and square when before it was bigger and more rectangular.
  • Bluetooth bug fix; enabling Bluetooth and returning to home screen, the Bluetooth icon still remains in the status bar.
  • Facebook integration. A new Facebook username field in the Contacts application and the ability to upload pictures directly to Facebook via Camera Roll.
  • Possible bug fixes on Wi-Fi signal strength on all devices.
  • Safari, address bar added text (Go to this address).
  • Improved Assistive Touch.
  • Improved Location Services.
  • License column added, under the About menu.
  • Possible support for Siri in Japanese, assuming since Siri said she supports Japanese.
  • Possible fix to Outgoing Call No Audio (OCNA) issue.[citation needed]
  • New Lockscreen camera button no longer have to double tap home button just swipe up to access Camera.app.

I suspect at least one of the new features to be iPad 3 exclusive.
nutmac is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:32 PM   #41
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menopause View Post
Our Apple in heaven
Holy be thy name

Better battery life please?
That's been fixed.

I've had my iPhone 4S on and not charging since 7AM cupertino time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.png
Views:	86
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	327858  
Peace is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:37 PM   #42
lewi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post

vs. old school method

I just don't see the benefit, time, or cost savings. I will still have a wallet for ID, licenses, spare cash, condom, member cards, reward punch cards, insurance, etc.
That, I have to say, sounds pretty painful.

I've used mine in the UK for low-value purchases and haven't had to sign anything. Admittedly, doesn't cut down much time really for an individual user (how long does entering a PIN take?) but for high volume transactions, every second saved counts. The time I used it was in a sandwich shop at an airport. Lots of customers, and if a percentage of people used an NFC card, they'd reduce queues therefore increase throughput.
lewi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:43 PM   #43
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewi View Post
That, I have to say, sounds pretty painful.

I've used mine in the UK for low-value purchases and haven't had to sign anything. Admittedly, doesn't cut down much time really for an individual user (how long does entering a PIN take?) but for high volume transactions, every second saved counts. The time I used it was in a sandwich shop at an airport. Lots of customers, and if a percentage of people used an NFC card, they'd reduce queues therefore increase throughput.
I tap my wallet and the machine reads my debit card and I walk out no signing no pin needed so easy
DerekRod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:44 PM   #44
macidiot
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macidiot
Hopefully

It will include a fix for double message alert tones.

It will include a fix for defaulting to speakerphone and getting stuck on it when making or receiving calls.

It will remove Siri integration from voice dialing. Call me crazy but I would like to make a call using my local address book and not have to wait for a server in North Carolina or wherever to respond. It should not have to take 1+minutes just to voice dial a number.

At this point I don't care about new features. I'd just like my phone to function properly.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:45 PM   #45
pauliaK
macrumors regular

Hopefully this gonna be public by this time tomorrow
pauliaK is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:46 PM   #46
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
I'm pretty sure that if apple hid "NFC" chips in the 4S it would have been discovered by now. And the bluetooth radio (I believe) was discovered in a tear down well before it was announced.
sulpfiction is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:46 PM   #47
scades
macrumors newbie

I'd settle for an update that would stop my Verizon 4s from reporting SIM Failure, and No Service. And, yes, it would be nice if my Contacts didn't keep disappearing and I could manage a 24-hour day without running out of battery.
In any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that iOS 5.1 will solve these problems. Anything else will be just icing on the cake for me.
scades is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:47 PM   #48
TallGuy1970
macrumors 6502

Please let me disable/silence notifications during a call!

OK, that's enough. You get the point.
TallGuy1970 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:55 PM   #49
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post

vs. old school method

Not a good comparison..You are still taking our your wallet, opening it, pulling out a card mixed in with your condoms, license, member cards, etc. tapping it on the reader, putting it back in your wallet, closing the wallet, etc.

Versus...Taking my phone off my hip, tapping the reader, putting phone back on hip.

I agree it's not a HUGE benefit, but a benefit none the less. I watched a guy do it and believe it or not, it was much faster and seemingly a lot easier. Not to mention pretty cool.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:56 PM   #50
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Feature: panorama camera mode.
Bingo. This is a hidden feature now, so it is quite realistic. Also, since the iPad 3 will come with a better camera, it would be a good thing to demo.

I'm hoping for a unified search/address bar ala Safari 5.2. I've already gotten so used to it I will accidentially use the address bar to search in iOS.

Other possibilities are big iPad-only features they could show off, such as Widgets and multiple user support. However, these are more likely reserved for iOS 6.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion