Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wow, they've really slowed down on iOS releases. Along side iPad 2 we had iOS 4.3 released. It seems like Apple have really worked on getting iOS 5.1 as good as possible, removing any bugs.

No, they haven't. iOS 4 had more time. iOS 4 was released in the Summer, iOS 5 in the fall. Both iPads were/will be announced in March.

As for Mac OS X. 10.8 is being released this year (Mountain Lion) - if they have yearly release cycles we'll be on Mac OS 11 or Mac OS XI by 2014! :O

OS X is the name of the OS, not the version number. It is "OS X version 10.8."
They can keep calling it OS X as long as they want. After 10.9, it could be, OS X version 11 or 10.10," whatever they prefer. Admittedly both options sound weird, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Hey there,

When Apple comes out with a hardware change, they always include a REASON, some kind of software update or app to use that new hardware. We already know they have been working on maps and that Google is going to start charging companies that use their Google Maps API.

This would be a great time to introduce Apple enhanced maps!

Tee

I see it more being an "iPhoto/aperture app" for the iPad. maps on the iPad i always thought was silly. not having weather... just as silly

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
No, they haven't. iOS 4 had more time. iOS 4 was released in the Summer, iOS 5 in the fall. Both iPads were/will be announced in March.

OS X is the name of the OS, not the version number. It is "OS X version 10.8."
They can keep calling it OS X as long as they want. After 10.9, it could be, OS X version 11 or 10.10," whatever they prefer. Admittedly both options sound weird, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Mac OS X was the tenth version of the Mac OS - hence the X. Or ten in Roman Numerals. So far, we've seen OS 10.1, OS 10.2, OS 10.3, OS 10.4, OS 10.5, OS 10.6, OS 10.7 and this summer OS 10.8. They all have different cat names.

zackkitzmiller

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
Mac OS X was the tenth version of the Mac OS - hence the X. Or ten in Roman Numerals. So far, we've seen OS 10.1, OS 10.2, OS 10.3, OS 10.4, OS 10.5, OS 10.6, OS 10.7 and this summer OS 10.8. They all have different cat names.

Exactly.

OS X could be 10.10, or 10.11. It's not a decimal, it's a version number.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
the real question is whether or not these changes can be implemented through cydia somehow, as it will not be jailbroken

I can dream!

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Exactly.

OS X could be 10.10, or 10.11. It's not a decimal, it's a version number.

If it is a version number, then yes we could. Otherwise 10.10 is a lower decimal than 10.9 :) I always assumed it was a decimal and would have to reach 11 once 10.9 had been released, but your way seems much more likely, for branding and identity sake.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
How about multiple signatures for different email addresses. It seems so damn simple that I dont understand why it does not exist yet?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Can't wait for the update. I also hopes it patches the Reminders App. Buggy as all get out and I use it all day.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
And all I want is for Safari to work right on forums and news sites, and not crash all the time would be nice also.

I don't get these problems at all? If anything I have to switch from chrome to make a lot of sites work.

Most problems I get are sites that use asp and .net crap.

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
that Safari perform as well as it did in iOS 4...If that didn't happen in 4.x, then it should be possible in 5.x as well.

Good luck with that, as ghall pointed out, iOS 5 uses more RAM right off the bat than iOS 4, so 256MB gets smaller and smaller. But I agree with you; the whole thing makes me angry, especially given Apple's insistence we shouldn't care about specs (and not releasing RAM info) and the original Mac 128KB RAM fiasco. It would be different if Apple had a track record of rigorously crunching the footprint of subsequent OS releases, but they do not. The reason iOS 5 is so bad, crashing-wise with Safari on the iPad 1, is that after boot there is only about 85MB of free RAM available (iOS uses 2/3 of your RAM just to become operational) and quite a few web sites' homepage (TechCrunch) renders larger than that. Apple.com uses 25MB, MacRumors.com the same. Forget about loading multiple tabs, can't do it.

That "don't need to concern yourself with specs" stuff was so BS.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
I'd really, really like to see a simple switch for a "night mode" that could be tailored to one's preferences. In my case, all notification sounds and visuals off (screen stays dark) save for calls (3am call is likely an emergency and vibration only won't do).

I'd be ok with a simple "ringer only" mode.

(Wrong thread for "wants", perhaps?)

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
I just don't see the benefit, time, or cost savings. I will still have a wallet for ID, licenses, spare cash, condom, member cards, reward punch cards, insurance, etc.

Your phone will replace your wallet one day. Maybe someone will even sell a case for it with a secret compartment to hide your condom.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
And all I want is for Safari to work right on forums and news sites, and not crash all the time would be nice also.

All I'm asking for is that Safari perform as well as it did in iOS 4, instead of crashing every 5 minutes like it does now. If that didn't happen in 4.x, then it should be possible in 5.x as well.

Just wondering if you have updated to iOS 5.01? Safari would crash on my iPad 2 all the time on 5.0 but hasn't crashed at all since 5.01

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I'd really, really like to see a simple switch for a "night mode" that could be tailored to one's preferences. In my case, all notification sounds and visuals off (screen stays dark) save for calls (3am call is likely an emergency and vibration only won't do).

I'd be ok with a simple "ringer only" mode.

(Wrong thread for "wants", perhaps?)

I've wanted that for a while. you arent the only one.

heliocentric

Nov 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

nutmac said:
[*]Users can now enter any Apple ID to sign-up for an iCloud account. Previously, they had to use (or create a new) me.com email Apple ID.
[/LIST][/b]

Couldnt you always do that?

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Siri still works like crap in Canada, I hardly use it.. Actually only when I want to set a timer, sine it's easier on that then to find my clock app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.