Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tee1970

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Something that looks good in hi-res - MAPS??

Hey there,

When Apple comes out with a hardware change, they always include a REASON, some kind of software update or app to use that new hardware. We already know they have been working on maps and that Google is going to start charging companies that use their Google Maps API.

This would be a great time to introduce Apple enhanced maps!

Tee

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
I sometimes use my NFC enabled credit card. Lets compare process.

Take card out, tap on reader, sign receipt.
vs. old school method
Take card out, swipe on reader, sign receipt

I just don't see the benefit, time, or cost savings. I will still have a wallet for ID, licenses, spare cash, condom, member cards, reward punch cards, insurance, etc.

I would think that with an NFC enabled phone, all you have to is type a pin (while in line to pay) and pass the phone by a sensor. THat's it! No need to take anything out from the wallet, no signing, etc..

Besides, you haven't taken into account other benefits that might come along, like an NFC based auto checkout system, common/applicable in all types of retail establishments (similar to self checkouts at the Apple Stores). Then you would avoid a line altogether! The applications that NFC would introduce, via the retail (and service) environment should be fascinating.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Wow, they've really slowed down on iOS releases. Along side iPad 2 we had iOS 4.3 released. It seems like Apple have really worked on getting iOS 5.1 as good as possible, removing any bugs.

At this rate by WWDC 2012 we'll only be on iOS 5.2. Then again, I wonder if iOS 6 will be a huge major update in a few years' time, with iOS 5.x lasting the entirety of 2012, and into 2013.

Maybe that's silly, but Mac OS X was only a number away from Mac OS 9, and Apple focused on making it last, with solid improvements here and there.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
I can just tap my wallet containing my NFC credit card and thats it no signing its cool

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
And all I want is for Safari to work right on forums and news sites, and not crash all the time would be nice also.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Hopefully Apple will also release the AT&T LTE model in Canada, since it should work on both Rogers and Bell's networks up here assuming it is AWS compliant.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I was in Japan and watched a colleague of mine pay for a train ticket with his phone. It was pretty damn painless. I just hope it's secure. I can see someone using it, and I could just walk by that guy and bump into him "by mistake" and get my own NFC transmitter a piece of the action.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I'm not sure about the Camera slider thing. I wonder if we could disable it? I don't know the demographics, but I'm assuming that since they're changing it from double click home button and then tap to just slide, it means a lot of iPhone users frequently need to access the camera from the lock screen.

But personally, with the automatic inclusion of the slider, the slide to unlock seems too short and bulky. Maybe for me, it is just aesthetics, but it could also potentially make it easier to accidentally unlock your phone (?).

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I don't see any of the new features of 5.1 coming to the iPhone 4, although I could be wrong. As an iPhone 4 owner I hope I am, but can't see it.

I'd have loved to see Siri come to more devices (iPhone 4 and iPad 2), the way FaceTime eventually spread from iPhone 4 to the iPod touch, iPad, and Mac.

Again, can't see it.

Marlon_JBT

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Detroit, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

How about the Group Messaging bug? I'd like that fixed before anything else.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Then again, I wonder if iOS 6 will be a huge major update in a few years' time, with iOS 5.x lasting the entirety of 2012, and into 2013.

Maybe that's silly, but Mac OS X was only a number away from Mac OS 9, and Apple focused on making it last, with solid improvements here and there.

They've already said something about there being a yearly release cycle and that both iOS and OS X are on it.

OS X was designed to be viable for 20 years from its introduction. At least that's what I've heard.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

One thing they need to do is make the App store about a million times better. As it is now it is awful..I mean if you go to view an app somewhere down the list of top apps and you back out, half the time it puts you back at the 1-20 list or whatever, instead of you being where you were, let's say at 84. Also, it needs to stop kicking you out to the home screen every time you download an app, that is retarded (make a little indication an app is downloading instead). They need far more filters, for example top rated, price drops, etc. The iTunes store is pretty pathetic too, but not my main concern.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I hope they fix some of the iMessage bugs such as disappearing messages etc some are having.

I bet the iPad 3 being LTE will allow FaceTime over 3G/4G so it would be only fair to allow the iPhone to do it to so we may see that :)

Also they could speed up find my friends location a bit. Seems pretty slow trying to locate people sometimes even if they have a good signal/GPS etc. Also it would be nice to see what device people are using in find my friends as some people that have 2 iOS devices can switch what device is being located lol.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I really hope they fix the performance of Safari, and just general performance, on the iPad 1.

Honestly, the only thing holding performance on the iPad 1 back is the RAM and CPU. A software update isn't going to fix that. They might be able to make Safari more efficient, but there's only so much you can do with 256MB of RAM.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
They've already said something about there being a yearly release cycle and that both iOS and OS X are on it.

OS X was designed to be viable for 20 years from its introduction. At least that's what I've heard.

Ah well I guess we'll see iOS 6 this summer then. As for Mac OS X. 10.8 is being released this year (Mountain Lion) - if they have yearly release cycles we'll be on Mac OS 11 or Mac OS XI by 2014! :O

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Honestly, the only thing holding performance on the iPad 1 back is the RAM and CPU. A software update isn't going to fix that. They might be able to make Safari more efficient, but there's only so much you can do with 256MB of RAM.

All I'm asking for is that Safari perform as well as it did in iOS 4, instead of crashing every 5 minutes like it does now. If that didn't happen in 4.x, then it should be possible in 5.x as well.

mikkelhorsbol

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
My two humble wishes

Two "features" I would like to see:

1: Slide up with one finger from the bottom of the screen to activate multitasking bar. The home button on my iPhone 4 is only reacting half of the time right now, and this would allow me to keep using this very useful shortcut between apps.

2: Not really a feature, but stop throwing me out of the App Store after I've purchased an app. No explanation needed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.