Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Do you plan on buying iPhone 5 even though specs aren't yet known?
Yes! I'm excited and will be ordering it online\in store right away at release. 215 77.34%
No! 63 22.66%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:21 PM   #51
twigman08
macrumors 6502

Even though I feel Apple will show us something I really like in the keynote(s) (plural because I want to see iOS6 and the new iPhone) that will entice me to buy the new iPhone, I will be upgrading around that time. I want to upgrade to the new iPhone but if I don't like what Apple puts out then I will be looking elsewhere.

I feel with the new competition that their are in phones Apple will be in the mode to push things a little further. I honestly except Apple to go with a 4" screen but keeping the overall device size roughly the same. That seems like something Apple would do and I can already imagine the keynote "we made that gorgeous retina display even bigger without making the device bigger." That is very "Appleish."

Though I will also need some pretty big improvements with iOS6. Notifications still need to be redone.
twigman08 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:26 PM   #52
snowydog
macrumors 6502

I'm on HTC Desire from 2010, but my contract is up in July and I'm fed up with this buggy phone!

I plan on ending my contract and getting a top up until the iPhone 5 comes out and then upgrading to that - whether its on contract or buying outright I'm not sure yet!

I can't wait though - my phone is doing my head in now!
snowydog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:32 PM   #53
stevelam
macrumors 65816

Possibly but right now I'm happy with my 4s. The competition isn't even close.
stevelam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:57 PM   #54
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

I'm on AT&T and not immediately downtown in a big city, so LTE doesn't apply to me, HSPA+ is great, I put a lot of $$ into the iPhone 4S, so no, I'm not upgrading for a while.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:59 PM   #55
0dev
macrumors 68040

I'm still on the iPhone 4 so, yes, I am planning to upgrade to the iPhone 5 (or whatever it'll be called, I suspect it'll be "the new iPhone"), though I'll wait a month or so for initial launch bugs to be ironed out.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:46 PM   #56
Leet Apple
macrumors 6502a

unfortunately i won't be upgrading, Apple recently gave me a free upgrade from 4 to 4S curtsy of the Genius bar. So now i will be waiting for the successor of the iPhone 5
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:04 PM   #57
kailibur
macrumors member

Talking

well if all this buzz about 2012 is true, then i wouldve wasted my money, but the world would be over, so it wouldnt matter-- no one to blame. but if it didnt happen, then i would have a new iphone to enjoy. so pretty much my entire decision is based off the mayans 2012... whether it happens or not though, my contract doesnt expire till christmas of 2013. so yea. i just wasted 20 seconds of your time with an explanation that serves no purpose. YOU MAD BRO?!?!

haha, obviously, i love sarcasm.
kailibur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:29 PM   #58
s15119
macrumors 6502a

When the next iPhone comes out I will be ready to upgrade. Whether it's to the new iPhone or I move on for a while depends on what Apple brings. I would expect i would buy the new phone.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:32 PM   #59
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

no i will not be purchasing the next iPhone. the main reason for this is because i have decided to upgrade every two years and i have done so since the original iPhone was released and i have actually found that its a bit better of a situation because the major redesigns happen and the second one out 3GS/4S iron out all the bugs that the predecessors had. works for me.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:38 PM   #60
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

We haven't seen what the iPhone 5 is, will be, or what it'll have over the 4S. We don't even know what it'll look like. So it's hard to definitely say yes or no.

If it has LTE, then there's a good chance I'll be upgrading. But I'll probably do what I did with the 4S, and wait a month for the hysteria to die down so it's not too hard for me to find.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailibur View Post
well if all this buzz about 2012 is true, then i wouldve wasted my money,
Your money would be worthless anyway. Why save something that will have no value and you won't even be around to use?

(P.S.: that 2012 stuff is all bunk anyway... and even if it wasn't, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so there's no point at all in fretting.)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:49 PM   #61
user418
macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4 and am currently upgrade eligible. I passed on the 4S and will probably go with the next model. Just hope there are worthwhile improvements.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:56 PM   #62
wordoflife
macrumors 604

If AT&T lets me upgrade my phone at subsidized pricing, I'll take it.
Chances of that happening are close to 0. Just got my 4S in Dec 2011
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:57 PM   #63
ixodes
macrumors 601

Like many others, at the end of the iPhone 4 product cycle I was looking forward to ordering an iPhone 5.

When that rumor collapsed to a somewhat milk toast 4S model I was put off.

Now that so much time has passed my enthusiasm has waned. My new plan is to give up on the risks one takes when pre-ordering an unproven model. Only because I don't trust Apple like I did for years.

Instead I'm going to sit back, read the reviews of the risk takers who pre-order the phone, and see if it features anything of interest to me.

Always one to be prepared, I'm now going to buy a couple of smartphones running other platforms. This way I will have plenty of time to test them and see how they meet my needs.

While this method is not my first choice, the direction Apple seems to be headed does concern me.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:06 AM   #64
blairh
macrumors 68020

Unless you are an iPhone or nothing else person, it's pretty impossible to answer this question. I really need to see what the next iPhone exactly entails to make a decision.

I love iOS but feel the screen on the current iPhone is too small. I also think ICS is a huge leap forward for Android.

The thing that really annoys me is that I have to wait until this fall. I wish Apple was going to return to a summer release schedule for the iPhone, but I think we are stuck with a fall refresh for the forseable future.

All I know is that I am more than ready to move on from my iPhone 4 and in due time I'll know if I'm getting the next iPhone or an ICS device.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:29 AM   #65
terraphantm
macrumors 68040

Only if it has LTE. I don't want to sign another contract with AT&T, but I'm not willing to switch to Verizon until they have an LTE iPhone. If it's not LTE, I might buy one off-contract if it's a good upgrade otherwise.
terraphantm is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:05 AM   #66
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Like many others, at the end of the iPhone 4 product cycle I was looking forward to ordering an iPhone 5.

When that rumor collapsed to a somewhat milk toast 4S model I was put off.

Now that so much time has passed my enthusiasm has waned. My new plan is to give up on the risks one takes when pre-ordering an unproven model. Only because I don't trust Apple like I did for years.

Instead I'm going to sit back, read the reviews of the risk takers who pre-order the phone, and see if it features anything of interest to me.

Always one to be prepared, I'm now going to buy a couple of smartphones running other platforms. This way I will have plenty of time to test them and see how they meet my needs.

While this method is not my first choice, the direction Apple seems to be headed does concern me.
My feelings as well. I put off getting a '4' for a year because of the design direction and small screen (when everyone else had gone at least 4") and finally got a used one when the 3GS was on it's last legs. I love the iphone, but I'll not buy one again if Apple doesn't wake up out of their slumber and give us a modern phone.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:24 AM   #67
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

They had better keep the screen at 3.5" or close to that, otherwise I will be hanging on to the 4S until it can't get software updates, or AT&T re-farms a lot of the HSPA+ spectrum to LTE.
BiggAW is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:33 AM   #68
calb
macrumors 6502

Yes. I'm still on an iPhone 4 because the 4S didn't offer enough incentive for extra outlay. I'm confident the next generation iPhone will be a sufficient jump from the 4.
calb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:33 AM   #69
terraphantm
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
They had better keep the screen at 3.5" or close to that, otherwise I will be hanging on to the 4S until it can't get software updates, or AT&T re-farms a lot of the HSPA+ spectrum to LTE.
I suspect that you'll be hanging onto your 4S for a while then. I'm pretty confident Apple will lost quite a few customers if they don't upgrade the screen. LTE and screen size are the two areas where the 4S is lacking compared to the competition... and LTE isn't quite widespread enough for it to be the sole selling point of the new model.
terraphantm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:46 AM   #70
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I suspect that you'll be hanging onto your 4S for a while then. I'm pretty confident Apple will lost quite a few customers if they don't upgrade the screen. LTE and screen size are the two areas where the 4S is lacking compared to the competition... and LTE isn't quite widespread enough for it to be the sole selling point of the new model.
Have you been living under a rock? Verizon has been deploying LTE like no tomorrow.

The iPhone is not lacking in screen size, it's screen is the one correct screen size for a smartphone.

----------

I also know of many people who switched from DROID 2 or DROID X to iPhone, so having a humongous screen isn't universally appealing.
BiggAW is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:51 AM   #71
terraphantm
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Have you been living under a rock? Verizon has been deploying LTE like no tomorrow.

The iPhone is not lacking in screen size, it's screen is the one correct screen size for a smartphone..
Verizon's deploying LTE aggressively yes, but it still does not cover the vast majoirty of the US. I have no LTE (verizon or AT&T) where I live or where I commute. I do want an LTE iPhone, but if that's the *only* improvement, then I'll pass until LTE is nationwide. Verizon does not expect it's LTE coverage to match its 3G coverage until the end of 2013; AT&T and Sprint will likely take even longer. It would not be wise to use LTE as the sole selling point this year. A bigger screen on the other hand (4" or so) would guarantee I buy 3 of them on launch day (whether I buy unsubsidized and keep AT&T or switch to Verizon depends on whether the phone has LTE or not).

And how can any particular size be the one correct size for the smartphone? That's obviously a matter of opinion - one that most do not seem to share with you (I have not conducted a formal study, but I bet even a survey of 100 people would be able to give us a pretty definitive answer). I personally have pretty small hands, and I still find myself wanting a larger screen. I don't want a huge 4.5"+ screen, but 3.5" is too small. They can get to 4" without dramatically increasing the dimensions of the phone.

Last edited by terraphantm; Apr 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
terraphantm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:53 AM   #72
sharpycl
macrumors 6502

I've been with my iPhone 4 since september 2010 and decided to skip the 4s since it wasn't much of an upgrade for me. I love my iPhone 4 but I will be definately moving on to the next iPhone when released. Even if it's not much of an upgrade I still just want a new phone sometime this year. My new phone credit is just itching to be used.
sharpycl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:56 AM   #73
terraphantm
macrumors 68040

Quote:

----------

I also know of many people who switched from DROID 2 or DROID X to iPhone, so having a humongous screen isn't universally appealing.
How do you know those people are switching to the iPhone because of the screensize and not despite the screensize? The iPhone arguably has the best experience and ecosystem compared to every other smartphone; those benefits might be enough for some people to justify switching. It's very possible that even more would switch to the iPhone if it had a bigger screen.

There's a reason why more and more manufacturers are switching to 4"+ screens. It's obviously generating sales. If it wasn't, Android's adoption rate wouldn't be growing faster than iOS's
terraphantm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:00 AM   #74
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Well the way I see it, my iPhone 4S days are numbered. I'm not entirely happy with it, and will most likely upgrade to something else come October when my contract with my network expires.

Whether or not I go with the iPhone 6* or an android phone is unknown at this point. Right now I plan to see what Samsung, HTC and possibly Motorola have to offer and unless Apple prepare something amazing for the iP6, then I'll probably go for one of them.

*I say iPhone 6, because technically, the 4S is the "iPhone 5"
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:01 AM   #75
cynics
macrumors 604

If it has LTE I'll consider it. Verizon's 3G is terrible. I travel up and down the east coast quite a bit and my Android tablet is always in LTE.

I was surprised how much LTE there is. I had to travel to a small PA town called cranberry (lol) and I had LTE the entire time. When the Amish have LTE it's wide spread enough for me to invest in it. Lol

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone