Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you plan on buying iPhone 5 even though specs aren't yet known?

• Total voters

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010
I'll vote whenever the specs come out for the next iPhone come out. Whoever is voting yes now, with knowing absolute zero about the next gen iPhone, are just blind Apple fanboys.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
That'd be fantastic for consumers if it happens. I'd imagine it would, I bet the only reason the 4S wasn't was because at that time they were deep in merger, so it was somewhat irrelevant to put the extra effort into it.

Yeah I honestly think it's what T-Mobile needs. They're going to be in deeper trouble if they can't find a way to offer the iPhone 5 (or new iPhone, whatever xD)

Personally I totally would. I'd miss the jailbreak though, but I'm a fan of the 'latest and greatest!' haha. Would definitely upgrade whilst passing this phone down to my dad maybe.. he refuses to separate from his 3G.

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
Every year I tell myself I'm happy with my current iPhone and don't need to upgrade. Then just like clockwork, a few minutes into the media event, I'm convinced I NEED the new iPhone. Somehow in just a mere minutes my current iPhone goes from perfectly fine to vastly inferior to the new one.

Only difference this year is I'm actually looking forward to what I hope materializes into a 4" screen and a metal housing. I really miss the build quality and design of the 1st gen.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I am not voting as the poll is too polarized. But I intend to get the iPhone 5 as long as it is improved enough. I am not looking for--and do not want--a Note-sized screen. But I want a bigger screen without adding much size to the iPhone itself. Do that, Apple, and I am there.

By the way I have had iPhones since the first one came out in June, 2007.

Michael

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I'm curious what percentage of iPhone users (any model) are planning on buying the next product (be it iPhone 5, iPhone HD, etc, whatever they call it). I'm interested to see what the percentage of loyal customers seems to be who are interested in buying it before they even release photos or specs of it. :)

Yes I will. I'm switching to Verizon from AT&T. The move will cost me about $650. As compared to $849 for buying the new one off contract.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Yes, I plan on upgrading a dumb phone (2nd line) to the iPhone 5, which I'll be using, and will give my 4S to my parents whom are using the dumb phone now.

Ill be getting the 5 for sure. BUT, I am banking on a huge refresh. The 4S form is beautiful, but I'm just tired of looking at it. Im convinced that the 5 is going to have a "wow" factor akin to the original iPhone in 07. So my expectations are very high and I don't think Apple is going to disappoint. I think that apple has been planning and working on this version since the 3G.

Also, this will be the last iPhone that SJ was deeply involved with. And that fact alone is enough to make me purchase no matter what it is.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Ill be getting the 5 for sure. BUT, I am banking on a huge refresh. The 4S form is beautiful, but I'm just tired of looking at it. Im convinced that the 5 is going to have a "wow" factor akin to the original iPhone in 07. So my expectations are very high and I don't think Apple is going to disappoint. I think that apple has been planning and working on this version since the 3G.

Also, this will be the last iPhone that SJ was deeply involved with. And that fact alone is enough to make me purchase no matter what it is.

Agree. I too, have high expectations on the design alone. I don't expect Apple to disappoint. I'm hoping it's a June release, but will wait for it in Oct. if need be.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Depends what they do with iOS

if they dont give it a refresh then i might stick with my 4S or go get a Windows Phone.

IMO, it needs a new look, or an option for some sort of customize option (Widgets, etc)

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
As long as they "bring it" with their update. I fully expect the next iPhone and iOS update to be game changers given how much the competition has picked up. Can't wait! :)

sweetie81

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Personally I'm still happy with my 3GS as it suits my needs so far. Plus now on sim only deal which is great.

So will personally sticking with the phone for some time and see what's around the corner.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Apple takes two years between major phone redesigns. They should be able to blow our socks off this time. Going to be a very interesting keynote this year.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm almost definitely going to be buying the next iPhone. I've had the iPhone 4 and now 4S and both have been bought directly from Apple contract free and I'll be doing the same for the next iPhone. :apple:

wgonzvega

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Upgrade iPhone

My contract finish in october so I will upgrade if there is a change in design.

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Yes will pre order the first hour possible

4 is/was great

See no reason based on history the 5 won't add to the magic

Ramonn

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
I'm planning to buy it as well!!

Resisted well not to buy the i4S, couldn't even afford it last year because of my 24 month contact on my current i4.

The contract is up next month so I'll go pay as you go till i5 comes out.

Specs or design doesn't really matter much as long as it stays withing its classic iPhone design. Most specs are within i4S anyway, perhaps little more faster to keep up with Tegra. It would be nice to have the projector just likes Samsung's and within-mobile call-recording feature.

I think most will but it regardless tbh since i4(s) to i5 has been a long wait for most of us...

I'll be queing up on the launch day for sure!!!

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
4S user here, and I don't plan on buying it! I'll probably wait for the next generation to come along :)

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
I preordered the 4S on launch day so I don't need to upgrade immediately. Not to say I won't be itching for it, but I'm sure I'd be much more pleased with the 2013 iPhone.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Before I answer yes or no definitively, I would have to get the answers to these questions.

How does the phone look? I have seen some designs that I find unattractive and would probably make me wait to see what happens in the future.

What will battery life be with LTE? If it sucks, I will probably pass on the phone. There is all this talk about a thinner phone and if that's the case, battery life will probably be horrible.

I've bought every generation of the iPhone and it will tough for me if I have to pass. I'll just have to wait and see.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
I'm really concerned about battery life. Am I the only one who thinks that Apple isn't taking it seriously? Going crazy having to plan my life around when I'll need to charge my phone. My old Samsung used to last over a week on a single charge :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.