Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you plan on buying iPhone 5 even though specs aren't yet known?

• Total voters

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I'll wait to see. I'm eligible for upgrade on VZW next month but I'll hold off until fall. If it's got a bigger screen and LTE, the most likely yes. If one of those two things are missing then I may look around. I really, really, really miss the 4.3" screen of my Droid X and with ICS Android is much better than the Gingerbread I dumped for iOS.

Also, as others have stated, I'll let the crowds rush the door and wait for the hysteria to die down. I'll also wait to see their reviews before purchasing anything. I'm thinking sometime between launch day and Black Friday is the time to buy.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Please, AT&T, please, if Apple f*cks up the perfect screen size of the iPhone, keep a decent amount of spectrum for HSPA+ so I can keep the 4S for a long, long time!

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I was planning on it, but I just had my old iPhone 4 break on me last week so I did the out of warranty $150 swapparoo at the old Apple store. So now I have a brand new mint iPhone 4. Unless the iPhone 5 blows my mind, I'll be keeping the 4 until my wife's contract is up in Oct 2013 (mine is up Aug 2012). When that happens, I'll consider dumping AT&T for Verizon too.

kailibur

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
We haven't seen what the iPhone 5 is, will be, or what it'll have over the 4S. We don't even know what it'll look like. So it's hard to definitely say yes or no.

If it has LTE, then there's a good chance I'll be upgrading. But I'll probably do what I did with the 4S, and wait a month for the hysteria to die down so it's not too hard for me to find.

----------

Your money would be worthless anyway. Why save something that will have no value and you won't even be around to use?

(P.S.: that 2012 stuff is all bunk anyway... and even if it wasn't, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so there's no point at all in fretting.)

ok... you obviously didnt see the part about sarcasm. i dont know what idiot believes in all of this 2012 crap. the point was to be funny and entertaining while telling you it doesnt matter because i cant upgrade for 2 years anyway.

IO01

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
As others have said, this poll is poorly constructed. I voted "no", because I want to know the features of whatever-the-new-iPhone-is-called-I-don't-really-give-a-**** will be. I'll get it if the screen is anywhere between 3.5 and 4.3 inches and if the resolution is changed to 1280x720.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Please, AT&T, please, if Apple f*cks up the perfect screen size of the iPhone, keep a decent amount of spectrum for HSPA+ so I can keep the 4S for a long, long time!

I assume you mean you don't want a bigger phone? Like myself. I don't care if they make a 5" inch phone, as long as they have a phone that is the same size as I have now as well.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Yes unless it's a launch disaster. Will give it a month to see if any antenna-gate or heat-gate issues develop.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I assume you mean you don't want a bigger phone? Like myself. I don't care if they make a 5" inch phone, as long as they have a phone that is the same size as I have now as well.

Exactly. The iPhone right now feels so much better to use than any of the other ones out there. It just fits in my hand so nicely, even my large hands. If they make an alternate model, that's fine, but they usually only have one model. If that's the case, and it's bigger than the current iPhone, I will hang on to HSPA+ as long as I can.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Exactly. The iPhone right now feels so much better to use than any of the other ones out there. It just fits in my hand so nicely, even my large hands. If they make an alternate model, that's fine, but they usually only have one model. If that's the case, and it's bigger than the current iPhone, I will hang on to HSPA+ as long as I can.

I agree with you 100% I wouldn't mind if they made the iPhone smaller, like the Palm Pixie size. Just don't make it bigger unless you still offer the current size.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I plan on get the 5, but I'm not eligible to upgrade with VZW until February 2013, so I'll be rocking my 4S until then.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I agree with you 100% I wouldn't mind if they made the iPhone smaller, like the Palm Pixie size. Just don't make it bigger unless you still offer the current size.
And we all know how well the Palm Pixie is doing...

One thing we can be 100% sure of and that's that the iPhone will not get smaller. If Apple wakes up and gives the market a 4" screen (which is still smaller than every other high-end smartphone out there) next time all you guys can still keep your small 3.5" phones and just keep buying the 4S. It will be around for a long while. (or go and get a Palm Pixie :eek:)

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I mentioned the palm Pixie because I like the size. I am not a fan of the OS or the physical keyboard. :rolleyes:

And we all know how well the Palm Pixie is doing...

One thing we can be 100% sure of and that's that the iPhone will not get smaller. If Apple wakes up and gives the market a 4" screen (which is still smaller than every other high-end smartphone out there) next time all you guys can still keep your small 3.5" phones and just keep buying the 4S. It will be around for a long while. (or go and get a Palm Pixie :eek:)

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I think you should have added more questions like:

If Apple does a remodel, will you buy?

or if Apple just does a refresh, will you buy?

For me currently there is a huge draw to get something "new" and by new I mean in more than just guts.

Samsung Galaxy III is of interest.

If Apple does a remodel with some nice surprises I will be staying with them.

I have time to wait and see how things are going.

----------

I have an iPhone 4 that's doing just fine. If the next iPhone isn't 4+", I'm done with iPhones. I doubt I even wait that long with the great HTC Ones coming out. Those are starting to make the iPhone look very dated indeed. I hope Apple's designers are paying attention this time.

LOL Despite your sarcasm at my "I hate htc" comment, I am in the same boat as you. It is time for something new. But for me it won't be htc. Most likely the latest and greatest Samsung Galaxy. However if Apple pulls of a nice surprise I will stick with them as they do have great phones and user experience imo.

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010
We have over 200 people voting yes they will buy a phone from Apple without knowing anything about it. And people here wonder why others call Apple fanboys sheep. :rolleyes:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Alright, I'm calling it now. The iPhone 4G will have the same case and size as the 4 and 4S, and will have a small, evolutionary upgrade to the A5 chipset, maybe with a slightly higher clock or more RAM, and 4G LTE on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.