Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you plan on buying iPhone 5 even though specs aren't yet known?

• Total voters

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Even though I feel Apple will show us something I really like in the keynote(s) (plural because I want to see iOS6 and the new iPhone) that will entice me to buy the new iPhone, I will be upgrading around that time. I want to upgrade to the new iPhone but if I don't like what Apple puts out then I will be looking elsewhere.

I feel with the new competition that their are in phones Apple will be in the mode to push things a little further. I honestly except Apple to go with a 4" screen but keeping the overall device size roughly the same. That seems like something Apple would do and I can already imagine the keynote "we made that gorgeous retina display even bigger without making the device bigger." That is very "Appleish."

Though I will also need some pretty big improvements with iOS6. Notifications still need to be redone.

snowydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
I'm on HTC Desire from 2010, but my contract is up in July and I'm fed up with this buggy phone!

I plan on ending my contract and getting a top up until the iPhone 5 comes out and then upgrading to that - whether its on contract or buying outright I'm not sure yet!

I can't wait though - my phone is doing my head in now!

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'm on AT&T and not immediately downtown in a big city, so LTE doesn't apply to me, HSPA+ is great, I put a lot of $$ into the iPhone 4S, so no, I'm not upgrading for a while.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I'm still on the iPhone 4 so, yes, I am planning to upgrade to the iPhone 5 (or whatever it'll be called, I suspect it'll be "the new iPhone"), though I'll wait a month or so for initial launch bugs to be ironed out.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
unfortunately i won't be upgrading, Apple recently gave me a free upgrade from 4 to 4S curtsy of the Genius bar. So now i will be waiting for the successor of the iPhone 5

kailibur

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
well if all this buzz about 2012 is true, then i wouldve wasted my money, but the world would be over, so it wouldnt matter-- no one to blame. but if it didnt happen, then i would have a new iphone to enjoy. so pretty much my entire decision is based off the mayans 2012... whether it happens or not though, my contract doesnt expire till christmas of 2013. so yea. i just wasted 20 seconds of your time with an explanation that serves no purpose. YOU MAD BRO?!?!:D

haha, obviously, i love sarcasm.:cool:

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
When the next iPhone comes out I will be ready to upgrade. Whether it's to the new iPhone or I move on for a while depends on what Apple brings. I would expect i would buy the new phone.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
no i will not be purchasing the next iPhone. the main reason for this is because i have decided to upgrade every two years and i have done so since the original iPhone was released and i have actually found that its a bit better of a situation because the major redesigns happen and the second one out 3GS/4S iron out all the bugs that the predecessors had. works for me.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
We haven't seen what the iPhone 5 is, will be, or what it'll have over the 4S. We don't even know what it'll look like. So it's hard to definitely say yes or no.

If it has LTE, then there's a good chance I'll be upgrading. But I'll probably do what I did with the 4S, and wait a month for the hysteria to die down so it's not too hard for me to find.

----------

well if all this buzz about 2012 is true, then i wouldve wasted my money,

Your money would be worthless anyway. Why save something that will have no value and you won't even be around to use?

(P.S.: that 2012 stuff is all bunk anyway... and even if it wasn't, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so there's no point at all in fretting.)

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 and am currently upgrade eligible. I passed on the 4S and will probably go with the next model. Just hope there are worthwhile improvements.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If AT&T lets me upgrade my phone at subsidized pricing, I'll take it.
Chances of that happening are close to 0. Just got my 4S in Dec 2011

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Like many others, at the end of the iPhone 4 product cycle I was looking forward to ordering an iPhone 5.

When that rumor collapsed to a somewhat milk toast 4S model I was put off.

Now that so much time has passed my enthusiasm has waned. My new plan is to give up on the risks one takes when pre-ordering an unproven model. Only because I don't trust Apple like I did for years.

Instead I'm going to sit back, read the reviews of the risk takers who pre-order the phone, and see if it features anything of interest to me.

Always one to be prepared, I'm now going to buy a couple of smartphones running other platforms. This way I will have plenty of time to test them and see how they meet my needs.

While this method is not my first choice, the direction Apple seems to be headed does concern me.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Unless you are an iPhone or nothing else person, it's pretty impossible to answer this question. I really need to see what the next iPhone exactly entails to make a decision.

I love iOS but feel the screen on the current iPhone is too small. I also think ICS is a huge leap forward for Android.

The thing that really annoys me is that I have to wait until this fall. I wish Apple was going to return to a summer release schedule for the iPhone, but I think we are stuck with a fall refresh for the forseable future.

All I know is that I am more than ready to move on from my iPhone 4 and in due time I'll know if I'm getting the next iPhone or an ICS device.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Only if it has LTE. I don't want to sign another contract with AT&T, but I'm not willing to switch to Verizon until they have an LTE iPhone. If it's not LTE, I might buy one off-contract if it's a good upgrade otherwise.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Like many others, at the end of the iPhone 4 product cycle I was looking forward to ordering an iPhone 5.

When that rumor collapsed to a somewhat milk toast 4S model I was put off.

Now that so much time has passed my enthusiasm has waned. My new plan is to give up on the risks one takes when pre-ordering an unproven model. Only because I don't trust Apple like I did for years.

Instead I'm going to sit back, read the reviews of the risk takers who pre-order the phone, and see if it features anything of interest to me.

Always one to be prepared, I'm now going to buy a couple of smartphones running other platforms. This way I will have plenty of time to test them and see how they meet my needs.

While this method is not my first choice, the direction Apple seems to be headed does concern me.

My feelings as well. I put off getting a '4' for a year because of the design direction and small screen (when everyone else had gone at least 4") and finally got a used one when the 3GS was on it's last legs. I love the iphone, but I'll not buy one again if Apple doesn't wake up out of their slumber and give us a modern phone.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
They had better keep the screen at 3.5" or close to that, otherwise I will be hanging on to the 4S until it can't get software updates, or AT&T re-farms a lot of the HSPA+ spectrum to LTE.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Yes. I'm still on an iPhone 4 because the 4S didn't offer enough incentive for extra outlay. I'm confident the next generation iPhone will be a sufficient jump from the 4.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
They had better keep the screen at 3.5" or close to that, otherwise I will be hanging on to the 4S until it can't get software updates, or AT&T re-farms a lot of the HSPA+ spectrum to LTE.

I suspect that you'll be hanging onto your 4S for a while then. I'm pretty confident Apple will lost quite a few customers if they don't upgrade the screen. LTE and screen size are the two areas where the 4S is lacking compared to the competition... and LTE isn't quite widespread enough for it to be the sole selling point of the new model.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I suspect that you'll be hanging onto your 4S for a while then. I'm pretty confident Apple will lost quite a few customers if they don't upgrade the screen. LTE and screen size are the two areas where the 4S is lacking compared to the competition... and LTE isn't quite widespread enough for it to be the sole selling point of the new model.

Have you been living under a rock? Verizon has been deploying LTE like no tomorrow.

The iPhone is not lacking in screen size, it's screen is the one correct screen size for a smartphone.

----------

I also know of many people who switched from DROID 2 or DROID X to iPhone, so having a humongous screen isn't universally appealing.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Have you been living under a rock? Verizon has been deploying LTE like no tomorrow.

The iPhone is not lacking in screen size, it's screen is the one correct screen size for a smartphone..

Verizon's deploying LTE aggressively yes, but it still does not cover the vast majoirty of the US. I have no LTE (verizon or AT&T) where I live or where I commute. I do want an LTE iPhone, but if that's the *only* improvement, then I'll pass until LTE is nationwide. Verizon does not expect it's LTE coverage to match its 3G coverage until the end of 2013; AT&T and Sprint will likely take even longer. It would not be wise to use LTE as the sole selling point this year. A bigger screen on the other hand (4" or so) would guarantee I buy 3 of them on launch day (whether I buy unsubsidized and keep AT&T or switch to Verizon depends on whether the phone has LTE or not).

And how can any particular size be the one correct size for the smartphone? That's obviously a matter of opinion - one that most do not seem to share with you (I have not conducted a formal study, but I bet even a survey of 100 people would be able to give us a pretty definitive answer). I personally have pretty small hands, and I still find myself wanting a larger screen. I don't want a huge 4.5"+ screen, but 3.5" is too small. They can get to 4" without dramatically increasing the dimensions of the phone.

Last edited:

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I've been with my iPhone 4 since september 2010 and decided to skip the 4s since it wasn't much of an upgrade for me. I love my iPhone 4 but I will be definately moving on to the next iPhone when released. Even if it's not much of an upgrade I still just want a new phone sometime this year. My new phone credit is just itching to be used.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

----------

I also know of many people who switched from DROID 2 or DROID X to iPhone, so having a humongous screen isn't universally appealing.
How do you know those people are switching to the iPhone because of the screensize and not despite the screensize? The iPhone arguably has the best experience and ecosystem compared to every other smartphone; those benefits might be enough for some people to justify switching. It's very possible that even more would switch to the iPhone if it had a bigger screen.

There's a reason why more and more manufacturers are switching to 4"+ screens. It's obviously generating sales. If it wasn't, Android's adoption rate wouldn't be growing faster than iOS's

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Well the way I see it, my iPhone 4S days are numbered. I'm not entirely happy with it, and will most likely upgrade to something else come October when my contract with my network expires.

Whether or not I go with the iPhone 6* or an android phone is unknown at this point. Right now I plan to see what Samsung, HTC and possibly Motorola have to offer and unless Apple prepare something amazing for the iP6, then I'll probably go for one of them.

*I say iPhone 6, because technically, the 4S is the "iPhone 5" ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If it has LTE I'll consider it. Verizon's 3G is terrible. I travel up and down the east coast quite a bit and my Android tablet is always in LTE.

I was surprised how much LTE there is. I had to travel to a small PA town called cranberry (lol) and I had LTE the entire time. When the Amish have LTE it's wide spread enough for me to invest in it. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.