Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Will the screen still be considered retina? What will the ppi be with a 4inch screen?

I doubt they'd upgrade the resolution without the retina, it's their new thing, ipad and macbook now have it, they won't set the iPhone back

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Nooooooooooooooo

Looks like I'll be getting a 4S.....!!!! :mad:

Taller iPhone = fake 4" screen = stupid. :mad:

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I really don't hope it doesn't just have a longer screen... They used to ridicule Android for fragmentation and now this...?

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

Reminds me of this:

Jigsaw_Falling_Into_PlaceCOLOR_by_artgeek707.jpg

(By artgeek707)

PeterSharp

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
No.. New iPhone is going to be a huge disappointment. I don't want a taller screen. I want it bigger, wider, taller. Where's innovation? Where's Apple technology that makes people think " I can't believe they really made that happen"? I think I will have to use 2 phones. That rumored HTC with 1080p screen seems nice. I just don't like android..

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Why not just go 1280x800 and then do the same for the impending 7" iPad. 1136x640 here and 1024x768 on the iPad mini just seems terribly...weak

I'm finding less and less incentive to upgrade any of my Apple hardware so far in 2012. Looks like my 4S will be staying with me for a while longer after all.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Yup, i guess this is another sign that we have truly seen the next generation iPhone through the leaks.

I'm gonna be skipping this and will probably pick out the next "redesigned" iPhone, hopefully by that time NFC will be mainstream.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Proportionally bigger = Apple's aesthetic sense under Steve Jobs.

Only Taller = Totally not aesthetically pleasing.

PsyM0nkey

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
I almost want to say that there will be a dedicated area at the top of the display for notifications only.

At the moment I find that sometimes when a notification appears it covers some buttons in certain apps im using, and I have to wait till the notification disappears before I can use the app.

Having a taller screen dedicated for these notifications at the top would alleivaite that problem, as well as not cause too much disruption in NEEDING to fill the whole screen with graphics, ie scaling every app.

This would also allow the phone and iOS to be compatible with other gen phones.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
It looks... awful! It looks awkward and crammed. exactly the same as the iPhone 4S with one extra row of icons.
Removed the stupidity for you.

Proportionally bigger = Apple's aesthetic sense under Steve Jobs.

Only Taller = Totally not aesthetically pleasing.
Meh. I can understand why the iPad is 4:3. The iPhone being 3:2 instead of 16:9 is a reflection of it being first released in 2007. Time to get with the times. 16:9 is the best ratio.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Not sure how to feel about it tbh. I absolutely wanted a bigger, wider phone, but coming from a 4 this'll still be a significant upgrade, albeit far from the one I wanted. Hmm, decisions decisions.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
That looks terrible, and not being 1280x720 is a crime.

This is a hack of the software - not them unlocking some hidden feature.

What about it looks terrible? All of the icons are the exact same size and resolution, there's just one more row.

Instead, you'd rather them change the horizontal and vertical resolution and force developers to re-render their icons, apps etc. etc. so it can have a 720p badge.

This is not a hack of the software. They're discovering an undocumented feature. Setting the resolution to anything else causes an iPad default resolution, as stated right in the article. Why would they make a special case for this resolution if they weren't going to use it?

Anyway, it's probably fake right? Remember these retina iPad graphics that went nowhere? :rolleyes:

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Can someone try the hack with an extra column's worth of pixels too, to go taller and wider?
I know this doesn't fit in with any of the rumours, but it would be interesting to see if they toyed with wider and taller too.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I can understand the larger screen. My mother wanted an iPhone, but the screen was too small for her. So she got 'droid with a larger screen. Looks like complete garbage to me...but she can see. So it works.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Yep, I'd say this confirms it.

As much I hate the tall phone idea, I guess it's coming.

Apple is making it very hard to want to upgrade from my 4.

-Display is still too small

-Tall phone is ungainly and ugly

-Thinner makes is worse ergonomically

-New dock connector means having to get many adapters.

Advantages are LTE (could be a big deal for you), weighs less, glass back done away with.

TBD....battery life.

Oh well, maybe following generation phone will finally embrace a proper display .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.