Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Well there you have it - almost as close to a confirmation of recent leaks as possible, I would imagine.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This is a hack of the software - not them unlocking some hidden feature.

They didn't hack the OS. They hacked the simulator to have a larger display.

(With Android, you can easily set up a simulator with any kind of display parameters you want or need for testing.)

and what about the keyboard?

Ooo. Good Q. Wouldn't it be great if they added a numeric row on top to use some of the extra space?

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Landscape keyboard? What will they do there, stretch it out to fill the bottom of the screen?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Why not just go 1280x800 and then do the same for the impending 7" iPad. 1136x640 here and 1024x768 on the iPad mini just seems terribly...weak

I'm finding less and less incentive to upgrade any of my Apple hardware so far in 2012. Looks like my 4S will be staying with me for a while longer after all.

but with different ratios it wouldnt help anyway

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I am curious as to know Apple's reasoning behind a taller screen.

But, it was confirmed during the iOS 6 event. Did anyone hear him say, "The large display" when giving the presentation? We all know the 3.5" isn't a large display. He definitely slipped up.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
This is terrible news! An elongated phone does not make sense at all! I like the current screen size. I am willing to go a bit bigger but I want it proportionally bigger. I know people complain about every new iPhone that comes out. But this is completely different. The iPhone 4/4s always looked sexy. This is plain stupid and I hope to God that somehow this isn't true. I don't know what I am going to do.

If you look at past iPhone design criticisms on MR, you'll notice the attitude is pretty close to yours, and eventually, it'll change directions radically. Something about the next iPhone will rock your socks and make you change your mind.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
I'm still hoping that Apple have held back on the iOS6 UI. They're so much more they could do with the increased height besides adding another row of icons, iOS as a whole is looking really long in the tooth.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
You, guys, are all wrong.
Weeks from now, plenty of people will be yelling how perfect a taller iPhone is, pointing out how dumb the older posters were, with their absurd ideas.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Weeks from now, plenty of people will be yelling how perfect a taller iPhone is, pointing out how dumb the older posters were, with their absurd ideas.

Yes. Once Apple announces it everyone will love it.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm in the excited boat. The taller screen won't only allow for more real estate and a larger screen but will also make widescreen games and video viewing much much nicer. Apple please take my money!

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
I don't need a mother****ing taller phone. I need a bigger phone with the same aspect ratio as before or just the same old ****ing 3.5" screen phone.

Apple, have you gone insane?

They know they can sell anything at this point and people will buy it.

LTE, NFC and full HD resolution will be how they sell it.

I have no question this is a smart move in the short term. Not having a proper screen will save on cost per phone, save on need for larger battery, and won't cannibalize the mini-iPad sales.

The wider format is probably good for for gaming too, as controls can be move to the side.

...But the phone is dumb looking. Usually Apple doesn't miss the big picture like this.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012

True this. Same thing happen with the iphone 4 gizmodo leak, lots of people hated it.

I think its fair to say, wait until it is officially launch before we pass the judgement shall we.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
When are they going to update the ui?? i thought this would be their perfect chance...... im not entirely blown away by this phone as I was in 08 when I got my first iphone.

----------

Well the phone looks nice just in landscape mode, because 16:9 ratio is alright, but 9:16 is terrible.

its good for movies and.............. well thats about it, but i have an ipad for that......

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
I almost want to say that there will be a dedicated area at the top of the display for notifications only.

Having a taller screen dedicated for these notifications at the top would alleivaite that problem, as well as not cause too much disruption in NEEDING to fill the whole screen with graphics, ie scaling every app.

This would also allow the phone and iOS to be compatible with other gen phones.

I reckon this is an obvious solution for Apple to make the screen bigger but avoid the fragmentation issue. Apps still get developed for the old resolution and iOS controls the extra space for notifications or something similar.

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Well, Steve is gone. Apple is now going to do what clueless people want. Like faster horses, bigger iPhones, and smaller iPads.

It was a great ride Apple. But this time Steve isn't coming back, and neither am I.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.