Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
True this. Same thing happen with the iphone 4 gizmodo leak, lots of people hated it.

I think its fair to say, wait until it is officially launch before we pass the judgement shall we.

This is revisionism. There were some people who didn't like it, but not many and those people went away quickly.

The thing that threw people on the 4 was the asymmetry of the front camera.

This new long/tall phone has been pretty much hated more than any design Apple has turned out since at least the fat Nano.

creanium

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I don't understand the hate and vitriol being spewed out. Especially by those saying it looks "cramped." The icons are the exact same size and spacing as on the existing iPhones.

kELyz.jpg

And why all the clamoring for a 1280x720 or 1280x800 screen? At this size there will be absolutely no discernable difference in the resolution.

Unless you're hoping for a wider screen, in which case you'll be waiting a while for Apple to do that.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
And here we had people complaining how hard it would be for devs...

I doubt that 3rd party apps will automatically scale to the new height. Most likely they will be black barred across the top / bottom until the developer updates to the new resolution. I don't anywhere that they tried to scale a 3rd party app at all, just the home screen which is an easy scaling (static backround picture stretch and moving around icons).

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Apple will call it Retina. Since it's just a term Apple invented out of thin air, whatever they call Retina is Retina.

They have a definition they've stuck to though. The average human eye cannot perceive the pixels at a given (reasonable) viewing distance for the device. They just haven't divulged what that viewing distance is. However, I've heard no complaints about seeing pixels on an iPad 3rd gen, RMBP or iPhone 4/S, so I assume their definition is still good.

As for the screen, the PPI isn't changing, nor can you expect someone to hold it closer, so I'd say the name will stick without question. The only trouble they'd hit is they tried to call it HD. Technically, you have to be at least 720p to be called 'HD', so they just miss out on that.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
You know folks

Throwing tantrums went out of style when you were 3 years old. Just for once realize that "some" people actually don't want a huge phone.

Keeping the same width and going taller benefits the largest swath of people because the predominant way of holding a phone is in portrait configuration.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I was tired of having so few slots on the homescreen. But I would also like an option to reduce the icon size if I want to fit more stuff on each page.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Well i guess its true...

There has to be some functionality to this or else its a swing and a miss for Apple.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Keeping the same width and going taller benefits the largest swath of people because the predominant way of holding a phone is in portrait configuration.

Thank you for realizing this. Also, 16:9 is what most displays are today.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
My guess is they are going to make add a row on numbers on the keyboard with the extra room...perhaps in landscape they are going to add a giant delete button and send button on the left and right side...

I can text without even looking at my phone now, I hope they don't change it...it's a rather nice trick to show people, not to mention could be handy in some situations.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Ugh damn apple. WHy can't they create a phone that is bigger in screen size but smaller in total size? And I want it to be lighter but have a heavy feel. I hate it so much I'm going to buy it when it comes out!

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Lots of crybabies around here!! :eek:

Why don't you wait and see/try/feel before you make any judgment?

Am sure you will all get the chance to express your huge disappointment :)

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Well, Steve is gone. Apple is now going to do what clueless people want. Like faster horses, bigger iPhones, and smaller iPads.

It was a great ride Apple. But this time Steve isn't coming back, and neither am I.

Bwahahaha! I hope you are trolling!

There is a leak about the new iPhone having a taller display and you condemn the company?! I can't imagine having to be around you if something actually serious happened in your life! I think you would just literately crap yourself or something.

jasperk99

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
I don't understand the hate and vitriol being spewed out. Especially by those saying it looks "cramped." The icons are the exact same size and spacing as on the existing iPhones.

And why all the clamoring for a 1280x720 or 1280x800 screen? At this size there will be absolutely no discernable difference in the resolution.

Unless you're hoping for a wider screen, in which case you'll be waiting a while for Apple to do that.

Didn't realize there was already a google maps app

EDIT: oh its a web app!! just figured it out.........

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
That looks terrible, and not being 1280x720 is a crime.

This is a hack of the software - not them unlocking some hidden feature.

Thanks to some tweaks to the iOS Simulator application that is included in the iOS development tools [...] The iOS 5.1 simulator displayed the home screen with a stretched set of four rows of icons. On the other hand, iOS 6 displayed five complete rows - as our sources said Apple was testing for taller iPhone displays.

Read this part carefully. This is about Apple including scaling support in iOS 6. It's no hack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.