Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
let the OCD posts begin!:p

grow up.

Dropping 700 pounds on an item that looses it paint in a day is not OCD.

Imagine how it will look after a week/month.

here is what happens to PVD/DLC watches... and this is after a long time, not a day
concord_c1_vint_2_lg.jpg

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Oh boy this is going to be good. Finally a 'real' reason to go ballistic. How they overlooked this sh** storm waiting to happen one can only guess at.

Should be fun :D

Anyone with half a brain saw this coming. You will have to put on protection, but the thing is, for 80% of the first few weeks of users it will be too late. But then again, it's really the ones going from the iPhone 4 that will see this as a disaster. My iphone 4 doesn't have offensive mark and I REALLY have put it through some sh**.

I don't really want a white one but am now forced to do so if I buy one of these.

Datta boy Apple :rolleyes:

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I think the worn silver edges will give ones phone character! It will not bother me but knowing people here, this WILL be a major problem!

luke707

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
People wouldn't buy a black Lamborghini and expect it to be marked or mark after a few hours use. iPhone is seen as the Lamborghini of phones.

For someone who hates sratching things and is overprotective of marking valuables, this has really put me off the black and I've never been a fan of the white.

People who say 'ahh it's fine, just a few marks' clearly have no sense.

Quite frankly, phones having marks on them before being opened is totally unacceptable and phones being marked after a few hours use is also totally unacceptable.

The black is the main device, and it looks amazing, but it's fallen at the first hurdle.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Silver worn edges will give your phone character.

BUT, it is going to be a MAJOR problem for the OCD members in this forum.

The anodized surface will wear off on the edge just putting in and out of your pocket.

The aluminum is soft and the black finish is only micron thick, what did you expect!

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I have a problem with this. I DO NOT like covers, bumpers, etc. I like my iPhone naked. I've had my 4s for like 11 months and it still looks damn good. How disappointing!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Silver worn edges will give your phone character.

BUT, it is going to be a MAJOR problem for the OCD members in this forum.

The anodized surface will wear off on the edge just putting in and out of your pocket.

The aluminum is soft and the black finish is only micron thick, what did you expect!

That's true. It's just that the iPhone 4 was so impervious to this.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Are you kidding? these are much worse looking in real life, and for $899 i deserve to bitch about this! for that much money for a phone, i want it as it should be. If it WAS plastic i bet there wouldnt be imperfections like this, once again, this is a $900 phone, not a $500 or less, i think we all deserve quality, not anodising wearing off after 4 hours in a pocket.. i hope your joking..:rolleyes:

btw, their an awesome phone besides these imperfections. my iphone 4 was perfect in every way, and the included headphones with the 5 are amazing for what they are, very impressive!

I also want to add we bought 2 phones, so thats laying down just under $2000 for 2 phones. Yes, all my friends think we are nuts lol

4 hours in your pocket, that's really bad. Imagine a week.

I would also assume, as it was brand new you treated it carefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.