Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

Minkz

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Apple stock has been crazy high lately lets see what happens when this gets out to everyone:p.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Where? Which one? Looks very much like the Apple 4 bumper, hard plasix center, soft outer? which combined with a power support films, has treated me good for 2 years now. The feel has really grown on me? Other colors?

Paste this into eBay:

New iPhone 5 Black Bumper Case w/ Metal Button (6th Gen) AT&T Verizon & Sprint

Very happy with the quality, a clone of the Apple bumper.

BJ

elitecol

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Can I ask for more white iphone scuffs photos please?

I want to have a comparison

thx

I havnt seen any white's with scuff marks, their not anodized like the blacks. The alloy is shiny and silver, nothing to really scuff off. Our two look fine

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
What's your opinion about my issues (see attached image). It's barely notable though, remember this was taken with flash and everything.

Attachments

• schuerf.jpg
    schuerf.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 909

Ryujin201

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Thats a shame. Let us know how you get on.

When I got there, was told to call up cause it was a web order :(
Was told that I could either get a refund, or a replacement, which means that i'll be a couple weeks without the phone (need to send it back by courier too, they'll come to my place- which means another day off work, can't even drop it off at post office!!)

Apple really are pissing me off, if I didn't invest lots of time and money (apps etc.) with apple, I would totally get an s3 instead...

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
You hoping your anodized iPhone will not show wear is denial:eek:

Well, if the anodizing wears, I guess as anodizing does, equally on every iPhone shipped, then nobody has to worry about resale not being equal.

However, why would Apple choose anodizing as a material if it's going to show wear right out of the box?

pipa

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Bitcoin City
As sexy as the black is I can assure you if this is happening on day one then just imagine after a year. It's a shame cause black looks sick

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
if you are married do you keep your wedding ring in a case?

But wedding rings aren't anodized black.

But if we play your game let's also remember wedding rings can be polished, and typically made from very durable, hard and scratch resistant metals.

My 9 month old wedding band still looks shiny, and the scratches aren't particularly visible.

I'm not sure you can even re-anodize an iPhone since it is a process done as an entire piece of metal, but hey go get a sharpie to cover up the scuffs ;)

Castle87

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Guys, don't let this damper your purchase. You have the freaking new iphone, in your hands, right now. Enjoy it.

duction

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
U to the K
i think we will see alot of the black ones with marks near the bands where they join togetherm slight one on mine, but im not returning it for that, you need a microscope to see it lol :p

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Guys, don't let this damper your purchase. You have the freaking new iphone, in your hands, right now. Enjoy it.

You better believe I do :)
It's so light and blazing fast, great upgrade from the iPhone 4.

A minute ago I picked up my old iPhone and thought "damn, that's heavy" ;)

I'm certainly not returning it and wait another couple weeks for the next iPhones to arrive. I'll call up Apple later and ask how they will handle those things. But as I said, my scratches are really minor (could be dust as well...), and probably I'll just keep it.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Kinda glad right now that Best Buy doesn't have my preorder in stock. Gives me a little time to wait this out and see where it goes.

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
If just the chamfer wears, and it wears this easily, then very quickly you'll have a bare metal chamfer that should look great. :p

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I have some very very high grit polishing compounds for metal/jewelry, might have to be proactive and put a nice shine on that chamfer.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Well, if the anodizing wears, I guess as anodizing does, equally on every iPhone shipped, then nobody has to worry about resale not being equal.

However, why would Apple choose anodizing as a material if it's going to show wear right out of the box?

True, it's like the chrome iPod a few years back. All of the used non-refurbes had massive scratches, so it's was almost a feature.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Most of the images showing damage out of the box was due to assembly. These little chips were not from any wear. Wear will show as silver edges as the anodized surface is only microns thick. You should be able to wear through the coating on sharp edges rather quickly.

Like I said this will be a major problem for many of the iPhone 5 owners. Apple knowing this should have never done black anodized. Silver would show much less wear. I would have liked titanium in it's natural color so there is nothing to wear off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.